Can't get main output to sound like headphones out

• Hi everyone,

I run main outputs into a Focusrite 6i6, then out to both headphones or good monitors. I run a PC into the Focusrite with my recording software on, or to play backing tracks in.

The difference between the sound from the Focusrite headphone socket vs the kemper headphone socket is night and day. They sound totally different. Kemper much better. But then I can't use that to play tracks over.

For example, Space function sounds amazing from the kemper, but has no effect through the Focusrite. I use mod mono setting but even changing this to eg. Mod stereo doesn't bring the Focusrite headphone out signal anywhere near the kemper headphone out.

I was struggling with a profile today via the Focusrite (trebly, scratchy, digital) & out if curiosity I plugged my headphones into the kemper itself... It sounded absolutely incredible.

Amy I doing something daft here, because I can't believe that the kemper can essentially have two qualities of output...!

• Could be your routing to the tracks in DAW, adding plugins, and how you are monitoring the tracks during record. My Interface allows me to monitor the guitar before it gets processed in the DAW, and I can mix between that Kemper signal and the DAW signal. However, you want to monitor the full DAW signal anyway when tracking. And not use Space option.

I've read the Focusrite headphone amp doesn't perform well with Headphones over 100ohms. I don't know what you have.

Another thing is loudness. If you match the loudness of headphones between the Kemper and the Focusrite then do they sound similar? They should.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Thanks,

Sorry I wasn't clear, this is an issue unrelated to recording. If I do a straight A vs B test & play with a studio profile with...

1. Headphones in KPA

Vs

2. Headphones taken straight out & plugged into Focusrite

... They sound fundamentally different. The Focusrite seems to drastically reduce any effects & all profiles sound kinda similar. Put the headphones back into the KPA and they're all much nicer & "hifi". Difference is night and day.

• Effects all reduce....just a thought, check you output settings are master mono... unless you have a stereo output

• I have 2x cables going from Main Outputs L and R into the inputs 1 and 2 of the Focusrite.

Yep, output was master mono.

What do you mean by "effects all reduce"? Surely it would make sense for the output to your DAW to be the same as available from the KPA? The difference is HUGE.

• Make sure the outpu source of the MAIN OUTPUT is still set to Master Stereo (default). Only then it is picking the signal at the end of the signal chain as the HEADPHONE OUT does.

• Now set to master stereo & don't really hear näy difference.

One thing is super obvious. Stereo widener through KPA headphone socket... Amazing. Effect non existent through Focusrite. Either monitor speakers or headphones.

This isn't just stuff sounding "nicer" straight from KPA headphone jack, it's stuff sounding totally different.

• Think I might have worked this out. Someone on a focusrite forum is saying all inputs are mono.

So I have two outputs from the KPAmain output, L and R, but I wonder if they are just going into 2x mono sockets on the Focusrite? Might that be reason I don't get the stereo widening effect?

If I pull one of the leads (the L kemper main output) out of the Focusrite, I still get sound in both headphones, if the headphones are coming out of the Focusrite. When I replace the other one (Kemper R output) it sounds better but still no stereo widener.

Just guessing obviously.

• I have my Main Outs L & R (Kemper Output set to Master Stereo) going into interface Left Channel 1 In and Right Channel 2 In. When I load a "stereo" track in Daw, I use inputs "In 1 + In 2" for that one track. You are not going to notice the "stereo" effect on output unless you use some stereo modulation effect or stereo delay. The guitar signal will sound mostly in the middle kind of like mono.

You can also get stereo by loading 2 tracks for Left and Right and panning them hard respectively. Left track gets In 1 and Right track gets In 2.

On both of those options, you can add Kemper's Double Tracker, Delay Widener, etc, and get a very spatial stereo sound as long as those effects are loaded in the X, MOD, DLY, REV slots. Without any stereo effect you will again sound mostly like mono.

• Thanks... My head is getting there slowly.

I have it set up exactly like you say... In fact it was you who were super helpful in getting me set up. 👍

So the stereo widener itself won't work on headphones from the DAW (I did have it in the slots you mention) but other options might?

• Thanks... My head is getting there slowly.

I have it set up exactly like you say... In fact it was you who were super helpful in getting me set up. 👍

So the stereo widener itself won't work on headphones from the DAW (I did have it in the slots you mention) but other options might?

You are welcome!

If you have your stereo tracks like I mentioned above and not using any effects at all, placing The Stereo Widener (default preset) will move the guitar signal from center to off-center right. It won't really sound like stereo until you add an additional effect (delay, verb, etc). And then you have to adjust the Widener's parameters to get a better effect. Same for Phase Widener but moves guitar from center to off-center right.

The Delay Widener is probably going to sound similar to using the Space option for headphones, and gives you a better stereo spread. And the same for the Double Tracker.

You should be able to hear each effect as I mention in your headphones out from the interface. But you won't hear the Space option unless headphones connected to the Kemper.

• Do you have the tracks panned in your DAW? If not, you'd be monitoring the two tracks panned center (mono).

Exactly this. But not only in your DAW. Also make sure the channels on your focusrite mixer are panned hard left/right.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• Great. That is absolutely needed. Sometimes you can pair to inputs up as one stereo input and then it's automatically panned.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• I had a similar issue with my Stage running XLR outputs to my Motu M2 interface and the quality just wasn't as good. Problem was when you connect XLR out from the Stage to the XLR inputs of the Motu, it activates the mic preamps which change the sound.

I am switching to TRS cables to solve the issue.

• Just an idea, when the headphone out sounds that great, can I go from the Headphone Out into the Focusrite?

• Just an idea, when the headphone out sounds that great, can I go from the Headphone Out into the Focusrite?

Yes. You might have to be a bit careful with your gain, but you won't break anything.