I know that I have posted several posts regarding profiling amps, and the Kemper's auto-choosing, but this is new

• I know that I have posted several posts regarding profiling amps, and the guessing game that I have had with the Kemper auto choosing if a profile is a DI or Studio during profiling.

From time to time, the profiler will decide that a new profile is a DI because it may be too bright, or too harsh (too much gain, even though it passed the gain check), and it will automatically disable the cabinet. Ok, I can deal with that as a measure to stop me from making a profile that is too brittle.

But today, I was making some DI profiles, and purposely didn't turn on the NO CABINET button to see if it would automatically see it as a DI. I made sure there was plenty of gain, and midrange to make it sound very brittle, so there was no doubt it is a DI profile. Then, I profiled the DI amp. To my amazement, it left the cab in. It saw it as a Studio profile. Now I am completely stumped at what it is looking for to determine that a studio profile would be a DI.

Do I have to open a ticket to finally get an answer on this question?

• I am curious to hear an answer to this. I have only had it happen once. I seem to recall the tone was very clean and had a pretty full response.

So you may be onto the answer already. If it does not see a ton of gain but does see a lot of high frequency, it may assume a clean DI is being made. Since higher gain will include more high frequency harmonics.

Not sure it would bother making assumptions when there is already a NO CAB button.

• I think, the algorithm makes the decision mainly based on the frequency curve. To avoid that a Studio PROFILE is wrongly recognized as a Direct PROFILE, the decision making process has an intended bias towards Studio PROFILE. This introduces a small risk, that a Direct PROFILE might be wrongly recognized as a Studio PROFILE - and for such rare cases we have the No Cabinet option in Profiler Mode, which allows to enforce the Direct PROFILE.