Are we getting other updates ?

• Sure.

But I see a lot of direct profiles in the RM. I could imagine that this would be interesting for a lot of folks.

I can see where you’re coming from but even Direct Profiles have the bias, rectifier etc built in as part of the power amp. For this to make sense you would need to be making preamp only profiles. As a Mesa Triaxis owner I can see that as being attractive but I think its a really niche market.

• Following the kemper logic after the kone I could imagine a power amp sim with the most important power tube,rectifier etc simulations. Who knows..

At that point, where you’re profiling individual components - that’s modeling and you may as well use a Fractal or Helix, no?

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• I foresee the ability to Profile your non-time-domain pedals, EQ, preamps and whatnot and place them in stomp slots in addition to the "usual" amp block.

I sure would like to be able to save and assign a few carefully tweaked versions of my favourite "real" pedals and leave them at home.

• At that point, where you’re profiling individual components - that’s modeling and you may as well use a Fractal or Helix, no?

Good point. I don't know .. it depends maybe on how good this idea would work.

If it is "non-tweaker" and brings good results why not.

I will say that one of the most terrific features I know in the "history of modeler gear" for sure I would put the definition function in the KPAs amp section right on spot 2 right after the profiling feature.

If Kemper could do something similiar "magical" with a power amp sim..

• I could be wrong; however, it seems that the KPA basic architecture is to profile the amp and cab, then to do efx through algorithms.

I like the idea of doing efx through "profiling". I think this is similar to the highest performant reverbs that use convolution with an IR to achieve the result. Note, while I believe that these are the highest performing reverbs (vs algorithmic), they are also orders of magnitude more computationally complex. I wonder if the juice is worth the squeeze since our current verbs are quite good.

I think that if we get another update, it will be to improve the time based effects (chorus, flanger, etc), but that it will still be algorithmic.

Now that we have a very well functioning editor in the rig manager that can be used on a tablet, the Kemper Mini is a no brainer IMO.

About the size of the Kemper FC, no controls on the unit (unlike the Kemper Stage), all editing performed via tablet/rig manager, and priced around $700.00 or less. In other words, I really want to see @CK take HX Stomp on in the low end. Currently, Line 6 can easily claim the best value digital amp pedal. Kemper could easily change this with a Kemper Mini.

• Another idea - would be great to open up the platform to 3rd party development. Let others build more intuitive editor GUI's, add their own effects algorithms, etc. That's sort of already in place with regards to creating profiles and sharing with others, but would be great to widen the developer pool for future features. May not be possible given the proprietary techniques driving the system (and level of complexity in the existing code base), but could be an interesting way forward. Of course there would have to be a way to QA these updates, so that garbage doesn't find its way into the system (think Apple AppStore workflow, although that has its "issues" as well ;) )

Would also love an arpeggiator (like the H9 has). Have I mentioned sweetened tunings? ;)

But again - no knocks whatsoever re: current capabilities and rollout strategies - Kemper has done so much for this product and user community, if it stays as is into the future, I don't have any complaints.

• About the size of the Kemper FC, ...

What size should it actually be? What sizes have people asked for?

I have seen people on multiple forums asking for a travel sized unit from every brand. The HX stomp is pretty small, but does it have the features in that small size? I have seen people ask for a size that would fit in a gig bag. What size is that????

It seems like the Boss GT-1000 was heading in the right direction but I think it is still almost 19" wide. Good to fit inside a rack but is it travel size???

Does anyone have actual desired measurement sizes? Like 14"x9"x3"

What do you guys think? Maybe this should be its own thread?

• Quad Cortex looks a good portable size.

#thebatesmotelband

• One of the marvels of the Kemper is the current resale value, people are still buying new units after nearly a decade knowing they can sell it later without a huge risk.

If a new, cheaper unit comes our that has the same profiles and effects lots of people will buy it in addition to their Profilers and Stages. Then lots of people will start selling their Profilers and Stages causing resale to fall. When that happens, the Profiler's main competitor will become itself and there is a big risk of a complete devaluation of the flagship models.

This is what happens with Line 6 gear all the time. The HD500 was great until the HD500X came out and the resale plummeted. Then the Helix landed and the HD500X resale fell.

So whilst it might make sense for the purchaser, it might be financial suicide for a company who's business model has been based on long term ownership and manufacturer support.

• The reason I specified about the size of the FC is the following:

1. The use of the current display is needed in order to maintain firmware compatibility with the ecosystem
    2. The use of 5 slots is needed in order to maintain firmware compatibilty with the ecosystem
    3. Tap Tempo, Tuner, looper, bank up, bank down all needed as part of the live setup use cases (this basically means that the number of buttons on the unit would be nearly the same as the current FC
    4. Assume that the target of the Mini would be for gigs, not sitting at home fiddling. This means that the space between the buttons must remain where it is today.
    5. All of the above combines to make the Mini about the same size as the FC. Note, you might be able to trim off a pair of buttons (less controll of chain efx (2 vs 4)) and trim the unit down to a little smaller than the current FC
    6. Ideally the Mini would fit in your average back pack (not the big oversized ones)

It would make a great thread all on its own :)

• The reason I specified about the size of the FC is the following:

1. The use of the current display is needed in order to maintain firmware compatibility with the ecosystem
    2. The use of 5 slots is needed in order to maintain firmware compatibilty with the ecosystem
    3. Tap Tempo, Tuner, looper, bank up, bank down all needed as part of the live setup use cases (this basically means that the number of buttons on the unit would be nearly the same as the current FC
    4. Assume that the target of the Mini would be for gigs, not sitting at home fiddling. This means that the space between the buttons must remain where it is today.
    5. All of the above combines to make the Mini about the same size as the FC. Note, you might be able to trim off a pair of buttons (less controll of chain efx (2 vs 4)) and trim the unit down to a little smaller than the current FC
    6. Ideally the Mini would fit in your average back pack (not the big oversized ones)

It would make a great thread all on its own :)

Sounds familiar....very close description to the Stage.

• Sounds familiar....very close description to the Stage.

Not really what I had in mind:

Differences:

1. No controlls on the FC other than the buttons. All configuration is accomplished through rig manager (not on the unit)
    2. Much smaller form factor than the Stage
    3. No ability to create a profile (only use others)
    4. Lower price point (~$800). Current Stage price is ~ $1800.00
    5. Potential use of a wall wart to lower the size for the unit (and remove the biggest heat producer in the FC)

It has to compete with the Line 6 HX Stomp XL.

Now, I can see an arguement for something much smaller like the QC and the Line 6 Stomp; however, those units can't be used at a gig unless they are paired with a nice MIDI FC which would drive up the price and be inconvient (another thing to wire up and power sitting right at your feet in the increasingly messy cord quagmire).

Additionally, to remove so much of the basic work flow from the stage/rack/toaster to make a Mini would require a different firmware completely. I just don't see the advantage of that. For me, Kemper is the ultimate gigging tool. Nothing should be done to the Mini to change that IMO.

• Honestly, for me, the stage is a perfect size. It is actually smaller than the pedalboard I use with my amp. I can take just the stage and go direct with IEMs and I am carrying a lot less gear. I don't think I would like the unit to be any smaller. I like having knobs on it to be able to tweak something if I want to do that on the fly. Without the knobs you would have to bring a computer along with you to gigs... I think they hit it out of the park with the stage for a gigging musician. For those playing bigger stages, the rack with a foot controller is how I would go.

• Honestly, for me, the stage is a perfect size. It is actually smaller than the pedalboard I use with my amp. I can take just the stage and go direct with IEMs and I am carrying a lot less gear. I don't think I would like the unit to be any smaller. I like having knobs on it to be able to tweak something if I want to do that on the fly. Without the knobs you would have to bring a computer along with you to gigs... I think they hit it out of the park with the stage for a gigging musician. For those playing bigger stages, the rack with a foot controller is how I would go.

Well, I personally agree with you completely (I have the rack and FC)!

I believe that the market exists for a smaller form factor with the same tone as the other KPA units with a lower price point. The stage, while an incredible piece of equipment, is still around $1800.00 which is pretty steep for many weekend warriors.

Certainly, such a product would not be for everyone; however, even those of us with higher end KPA rigs like myself, would be very tempted to buy something like the Mini as a backup .... or as a smaller "throw-and-go" solution that would take up little space.

Of course, others like you would have no interest in such a product. Such is the dilemma of product management.

• Ok, all quiet. No updates for ages. I smell new product drop. There can only be one. 'Kemper Mini'. Half the cost. sell thousands. Please?

My 10 year old toaster getting a bit old now.

Geezer

• Why would any company with a very successful product replace it with one that sells for half the price?

It would make sense if sales of the successful product stagnated and the company hopes / expects to sell x times as many cheaper units. I don't think it's going to happen with Kemper ... but as a recent example, look at how Strymon now sell their Big Sky reverb effects as VST plugin at a much lower price than the original effects pedal.