Are we getting other updates ?

• Please no! Not as these current gear prices.

yep right with you, on that.

New talent management advice to Laura Cox -

“Laura want to break the internet? let’s shoot another video of you covering the Nightrain solo in the blue singlet, but this time we’ll crank up the air conditioning”.

• Hi,

maybe they are just busy keeping the Hardware alive and making adjustments on it to work around IC, Processors etc.. which are diffucult to obtain, right now. At least in our company supply chain issues are a problem.

Best,

Andy

• I honestly don’t think Kemper2 is forthcoming.

Not unless CK comes up with something related to Profiling to markedly improve it. Something he’s said he doesn’t see happening.

Anything less is been-there-done-that.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• It seems they are actually cleaning/refactoring code, as new bugs are introduced without any new real feature.

Some bug introduced related to profiling feature makes me hope something is coming around that.

• It would be a genius move if Kemper were able to produce a user or factory installed Processor/RAM upgrade available this year instead of making a whole new unit. I would like to see a mini version of the stage though.

(PEDALBOARD): Kemper Stage, Shure GLXD-16 wireless, JHS A/B Switch, SoloDallas Storm, Keeley Halo, Mission Engineering EP-1 KP, Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2, Pedaltrain-3 board

• It would be a genius move if Kemper were able to produce a user or factory installed Processor/RAM upgrade available this year instead of making a whole new unit. I would like to see a mini version of the stage though.

And who then should install that processor/ram for all us users?

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

To do what?

It all goes back to the compelling reason for an new physical unit or lack of it.

So far it seems to come down to running more than 1 profile (which we assume is processing power), stereo power amp, colour screen, better routing...so not much based around limited processing power - although few of us really no what limitations exist.

• It has nothing to do with power. The Profile process is very efficient. Power has never been a bottleneck as the KPA doesn’t work like a traditional modeler.

Two Profiles at the same time requires two Profiler engines (or whatever they call it). Literally, they’d have to put two Profilers in one box.

The value of two at the same time is debatable at best. Other than being a me-too addition.

• It has nothing to do with power. The Profile process is very efficient. Power has never been a bottleneck as the KPA doesn’t work like a traditional modeler.

Two Profiles at the same time requires two Profiler engines (or whatever they call it). Literally, they’d have to put two Profilers in one box.

The value of two at the same time is debatable at best. Other than being a me-too addition.

Hm not sure that is entirely correct. Should be perfectly possible to apply two profiles at the same time if the power is there (don't know whether it is though. Might be).

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• Hm not sure that is entirely correct. Should be perfectly possible to apply two profiles at the same time if the power is there (don't know whether it is though. Might be).

This has been discussed elsewhere numerous times. It is not conjecture.

Power is *not* the issue. You need two sets of the same, specific chip used in the Profiler.

• Still nothing convinced :) The DSP chips in the Kemper are pretty standard and not made for a specific purpose after all. It's just dsp/math.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• Still nothing convinced :) The DSP chips in the Kemper are pretty standard and not made for a specific purpose after all. It's just dsp/math.

Doesn’t matter. CK has said it himself.

• I thought he said years ago that two Profiles could not be run at the same time due to DSP-power limitations, Ruefus.

HERE I GO AGAIN, RAMBLING ON LIKE A PSYCHOPATH...

The most demanding thing I would imagine is doing the calculations to use an IR. The Helix limits you to a single 2048 or two 1024 sample IRs. The Kemper is only doing a single IR. not sure what sample count. I am making a VST and as an amateur I am using two 1024 IRs. One per side (L,R).

In my light reading about tubes, I think tubes may be special because their frequency response may change with gain. Where a transistor does not. You drive a transistor and it just cuts you off and says you are done. The tube may be able to squeeze out some more low energy high frequency signal thru??? This is all a guess.

Assuming this is true, I would probably write a profiling amp to calc the frequency response at a few gain points. Represent each point as an IR. Then I can interpolate between each IR based on the amount of signal I see in the sample. Or maybe even base it on RMS value, etc.

This would mean I (or Kemper) am taxing the DSP chip with several IRs. Not just one or two.

Most IRs have little info past about 512 samples. So you could cheat and get a few more IR points using these shorter computation times.

This thought came to me while I was adding an envelope filter to mimic the tube response (if it exists). Been busy with other parts of the app, but I plan on trying this out soon.

But this could explain how the Kemper matches so many Tube amps really well. And why it may be hard to do two amps at a time? If only I were smart, I could figure this stuff out.

if I am correct, I may be making a profiling VST soon... better get to work guys and beat me to it 8o

• I gathered some time back that the amp section works with 16x oversampling to get the desired sound quality. This might explain why, despite all the FX it can run simultaneously, duplicating amps is too much for the current system. In terms of the interface you could possibly just use another soft key to alternate between the controls for AMP A and AMP B.

I would imagine some of the other processing (eg drives, filters) would also benefit from oversampling but quite possibly much of the signal path operates without needing this much more demanding processing load.

The fact that it is possible to load 8 reverbs into all the stomp and post amp FX slots without the Kemper stumbling due to excessive DSP load indicates that the signal processing and multitasking is very efficient indeed.

• Yup.

On 2021-04-26 CK wrote:

In the Profiler we run our distortions for the Amp and pedals at 16x or 32x sample rate. That is 704 kHz or even 1.4 MHz!

On 2018-06-28 CK wrote:

The algorithm for the tube simulation runs on more than 700 kHz sampling rate.

RosboneMako, IRs are not employed for the tube-Profiling side of things as far as we know.