Page wiring: is it really usefull?

• I was going to change a volume pot in order to have more tonal options directly in board, initially I was thinking about just a series/parallel push pull switch for the neck PU.

Looking some video un YT this video came out and I wonder how many of these 21 opitions/combinations are actually used.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

So, for those who already had a wiring like that, what's Your prefered ones? Are there some of them really un-usable?

• I never gravitated to the series combinations or the coil splits. I simply don't like either of them. I have a simplified wiring on my Pauls that allows for neck-bridge out of phase. This is very useful for me. There are a lot of different tones hiding in there. Some of Page's classic tones as well as tones in the Varitone type catalog that I enjoy a lot.

• lbieber I have a Lucille with Varitone and I use just pos.1 or 2, Sometimes also 3. Rarery actually recorded anything with 4,5,6. I also like a lot the stereo Output. Sometimes I use them both. . not always but it's good to have it.

BayouTexan yes,.. 4 pots and a 3 way switch is already a lot of sounds' option. Well.. to be honest for 15 years or so, I've never touched the tone pots And just used the Volume knobs to shut off the sound. Always full Neck or full Bridge.

Then Ive started to use all pots.. then to change their value, also the caps value, to switch from linear type to audio/log .. it's interesting to "tune" a guitar your onw way... and it's not so expensive at the end of the day.

• On a dual HB guitar the only "extra" I like is a master split switch to make it sound like single coils. I hate being on stage and not knowing what I've got going on. Same reason I don't like Strat style guitars with individual on/off switches.

• I also like to keep things really simple, which also makes them more reliable - everything you have in a guitar is going to break at some point given enough time. Ususally at the worst possible moment, too ;)

I never liked split HBs - it doesn't sound like a true single coil, or it just doesn't have that quality that I like about single coils.

I took great care in selecting the right pickups for each of my guitars - 'right' meaning that they sound great on their own. I modded one of my main live Strats towards a Tele by removing the middle pickup (it's just an empty cover now) and swapping the pickup selector for a 3-way switch.
    tbh, I could (and probably will at some point) go one step further and have just the neck or bridge pickup available since I never use the middle position.

• To me, the middle pickup on a strat-type guitar is only good for funkiness. A single coil for the neck and a humbucker for the bridge is more than adequate for just about anything else. But I see strat guys who love that 4th position.

I do think that coil splitting on LP's neck humbuckers works well.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• I never liked split HBs - it doesn't sound like a true single coil, or it just doesn't have that quality that I like about single coils.

When it's done with the right pickups and the right electronics it can sound very right. I guarantee you wouldn't be able to pick that my Anderson wasn't a SC guitar in a blind test when the pups are split. 🙂