Rig Manager on iOS shortcomings

• I’ve been researching the pieces required to use Rig Manager iOS with an unpowered head, remote and my iPad Air 2 (and maybe iPhone) in band rehearsals, where I would like to use it to dial in tones, effects and save my changes (to rigs and performances).

I think I have the additional hardware requirements figured out, but now I’m trying to figure out what shortcomings the iOS app has vs the desktop app. Is there a comparison chart? Does anyone have rehearsal/live experience with it that they could share?

I’ve found very little on YouTube that shows actual use of the iPad and iPhone apps and very few (and very mixed) reviews in the App Store, which makes it kinda seem like very few people are using it?

Thanks

• RM on iOS isn’t meant as a replacement for the Mac or Windows version. It allows you to interact with what’s on your Profiler away from a computer.

As it says in the description on the App Store, it is for existing content. As in - already on the Profiler.

You can’t store rigs on your phone or iPad. Nor can you access Rig Exchange or import new Rigs.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• and that’s why the IOS version sucks. I like checking out the Rig Exchange and would prefer not having to be near my MBP to do so.

With the same principle Photoshop sucks because it can't render a 3D sequence...

If something is too complicated, then you need to learn it better

• why does it suck it was explained what it can and cannot do. Every software sucks,haven't meet a platform that didn't and I use the 3 main ones Win 11,

MAC and iOS. Learn how it works and make it work for you. I use iOS on gigs to tweak if I need to on a gig. What you tweak at home will suck live. Profiles need to be tweak in a full, loud band setting. Most of my fiddling at home never sounds good live.

• Update: I have Rig Manager iOS working on my iPad via a local access point (and PoE for my remote). I’m getting familiar with the app. Overall, I think it’s going to make it a LOT easier for me to tweak and update rigs and performances during rehearsals.

One thing that’s sorely missing is the ability to list rigs. I do not see a way to:

1) view a list of installed rigs when the head is in Browser mode. All I can do is slowly move between them using back/forward buttons, which is impractical with dozens/hundreds of rigs.

2) select a rig to use for a new slot in a performance. I see no way to get a list.

3) change the selected rig for a performance slot. Again, I see no way to get a list.

For the things above, I have to go over to the head and make rig selections there. Not a huge deal, but it’s surprising not to have that built into the iOS app. Or I’m just not seeing it? Feature coming soon?

I also didn’t see a way to delete an entire performance, only clear the slots and rename it to New Performance (the same end result).

I love the ability to easily see all of the controls for stomps, effects, etc, and easy to navigate lists for switching to different presets. No more paging through those on the head.

Same ease of use is there for seeing/changing all rig, input, amp, cabinet and output controls, which is also great (like the desktop app). As is the ease for setting morph settings.

As others mentioned, there’s no way to add rigs to the head or access Rig Exchange, but that’s understandable to me. I’m ok with having to do that via the USB connection on the head connected to a PC.

Edited 2 times, last by jackk100: added mention of PoE ().

• Most Kemper users hunt for the closet profile to what sound they are looking for, either on the exchange or in Rig Manager. Then do minor tweaks to standard gain/eq. There is no reason not to have the ability to download profiles from an online preset web-based RE on an iPhone. All I’m saying is it would be nice to add that feature.

• Yes the missing feature is rig manager iOS is the ability to easily navigate for profiles.

I suspect this would be high on the list of priorities for most people that use it.

The thing with Kemper though is sometimes you have be very very very patient.

I whine about it every chance I get,

New talent management advice to Laura Cox -

“Laura want to break the internet? let’s shoot another video of you covering the Nightrain solo in the blue singlet, but this time we’ll crank up the air conditioning”.

• Digital Modeler Companies have an unwritten rule for their customers - "and that's why we can't have nice things."

So not having a desktop-quality app on your iPad/iPhone constitutes not having "nice things." Interesting.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• The App does what it does anything past that will require the iOS to download and store all Rigs, Profiles, and such on the iPad plus Sync all between iOS, Your profiler, and what MAC/PC you are using every time. I use iOS on gigs and at church. Tweak then hit the store done.

At home, I use RM for more in-depth editing. Every software has its limitations.

But we as humans expect electronics and software to be perfect yet we design them and we are not perfect.

• The communication is both ways between the iOS app and the Kemper OS on the head. Turn a knob on one and the knob’s position/value changes in the other. I can’t think of a place in the Kemper OS where a full list of profiles is shown without paging, which might be why it doesn’t (or can’t) exist in the iOS version. If all of this is correct, then I’m thinking that the Kemper OS would need an internal “get full list” function (a single sort, by name, would suffice) that the iOS app can call for showing lists in the various places that would benefit. There would also need to be a two-way sync when a rig name is edited in either OS.

Just some guesses. Only folks at a Kemper would know. Meanwhile, fingers crossed that listing rigs in iOS is coming soon!