Record dry and wet signal?

• Hey good people. I'm struggling a bit with recording both the dry and the wet signal at once. I used to use the S/Pdif, but ever since I switched the Windows computer for a Macbook and also switching the audio interface to a RME Babyface Pro fs, I have experienced trouble with the S/Pdif connection. It causes crackles even if the Kemper is turned off. I have to use a Toslink-ADAT adapter to use the S/Pdif and it somehow isn't reliable. It works though. I can record both signals with the S/Pdif, but I'm fed up with the crackles. And yes....the S/Pdif used to work with the Windows computer, so I don't think that it is the ADAT input of the Babyface, that causes it. I suspect the adapters and that it isn't reliable enough. Anyway....the question.

Since I got fed up with the S/Pdic crackles I've turned to the Main Out (XLR), but all I hear is the same signal on left and right. Isn't is possible to split the Main Out in dry and wet? I'm not sure, but if I understand the manual, I have to use the Direct out for the dry signal. Is that correct? If so...how do I then use my external pedals in the loop of the Kemper? And isn't a jack output attracting more noise than an XLR cable?

My gear:

Macbook Air 2020 M1 (Monterey 12.4)

Babyface Pro fs

Logic Pro

Caldigit TS3 dock/hub

Best wishes from Brian

• If you are using a non-SPDIF interface then regular TS cables from main outs to interface ins is good enough for quality recordings. No noise.

So, if you record Master Stereo, you could have one single stereo track on DAW or a separate Left and Right track each panned hard to 100% respectively. Then you send the Direct Out for the dry raw guitar into a third interface in and you input that into a third track in DAW.

Check the pics in this thread...

How to Reamp Kemper with Reaper (non-SPDIF Method) Tutorial..

BTW, what external pedals are you using that the Kemper can't replicate?

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Output Sources
    Within the Output Section you can modify the routing to the physical outputs, or in other words, select the signal sources for the outputs. If you feel that every output delivers the signal that you need, then feel free to skip this chapter. The factory settings for the signal sources cover most of the regular applications.
    Each output can tap different points in the signal flow. Here is a description of signal sources, which can be tapped. Note that only a subset of sources is available for each individual output.
    Off The output is muted.
    Git Analog The pure, clean instrument signal is sent to the DIRECT OUTPUT/SEND 1 by an analog splitter, no AD/DA conversion is taking place. The analog signal level is the same as on the instrument input. Useful for reamping or running a second amp in parallel.
    PROFILER Stage: default and only available for SEND 1 output
    all other PROFILER variants: default and only available for DIRECT OUTPUT; needs to be used in conjunction with the Front INPUT as the guitar input
    Git+Processing Similar to “Git Analog” but A/D conversion is taking place.
    not available for S/PDIF OUTPUT
    NOTE: the volume control of the respective outputs will have no impact on the "Git …" source settings, because they are made to reproduce the original instrument volume.
    Git Studio Similar to “Git+Processing”, but here the instrument signal is sent out at studio level, which is much louder than the original level. Thus, no separate DI box is needed to record the pure instrument for reamping purposes. Since the instrument volume is high, the recommended leveling of “Clean Sens” in the Input Section is important.
    Stack This signal is tapped directly behind the stack section and does not include any post amp effects.
    Output Section 98
    Mod Stereo This stereo signal is tapped directly behind the MOD module and contains the whole signal, but without delay and reverb.
    only available for stereo outputs
    Mod Mono Delivers a mono mix of the “Mod Stereo” signal.
    Mod Left Delivers only one side of the stereo signal of “Mod Stereo”. This will sound like “Mod Mono” but often less dense, depending what stereo effects are used.
    Mod Right for DIRECT OUTPUT of PROFILER Head, PowerHead, Rack and PowerRack
    Master Stereo Represents the full signal with all effects in stereo.
    default setting for MAIN OUTPUT and S/PDIF OUTPUT.
    Master Mono Delivers a mono mix of the “Master Stereo” signal.
    default setting for MONITOR OUTPUT
    Master Left Delivers only one side of the stereo signal of “Master Stereo”. This will sound similar to “Master Mono” but often less dense, depending what stereo effects are used.
    Master Right for DIRECT OUTPUT of PROFILER Head, PowerHead, Rack and PowerRack
    DLY/REV wet Only the wet stereo effect signal of the delay and reverb located in the modules DLY and REV are sent to the output. If no delay or reverb is active, the output will remain silent.

From Mi Amigo Manual8)

• Hey :) Okay….so it is correctly understood that I HAVE to use the Direct Out for the dry signal?

And yes….I use both a Boss HM-2 and a clone of that pedal in the loop and found it better than using them between the guitar and the guitar input.

• Hey :) Yes….I read the manual, but I was confused about 2 things. 1) I don’t see “Git analog” anywhere. 2) Which output to select as more than one choice refers to be useful for re-amping though they are different. For instance “Git Analog” (which I cannot see) has same levels as the instrument input and this useful for re-amping. “Git +processing” has ad/da conversion and is also useful for re-amping. So which to choose.

What I am interested in is one signal with everything and one completely dry signal. And that dry signal I cannot seem to get from my Main XLR out.

Regarding I cannot see the “Git analog” choice, I’ve just come to think of, that maybe it’s because I have the Direct Out occupied by the pedals in the loop and it disengages this opportunity. I have to try that, when I get home.

• Just got home. I just tried to unplug all cables. Only cables plugged in now is the XLR (Main Out), the TS jack (Direct Out) and the usb. I still don’t see the “Git analog” as a choice. And the Direct Out is completely greyed out and cannot be selected.

Only output choices available:

Off

Git+processing

Git studio

Stack

Mod left

Mod mono

Mod stereo

Master left

Master mono

Master stereo

DLY/REV wet

I’ve experienced so many difficulties with my Kemper and audio interface/computers lately, which for the first time ever has had me considering swapping the Kemper out for an Axe FX III. I’ve loved the Kemper so much for almost ten years and I’d hate to reach that point, but the issues are getting to me and getting in the way of me actually getting to play. It always just worked. So maybe it’s time for a change. I hope I get this sorted out though. I’m not build for resistance 🤣 Recording and re-amping trough usb seems like a way more convenient solution though.

Edited once, last by b_ryan ().

• Okay….I think I found out that the “Git analog” only is available on the Direct Out. But why can’t I engage that output? I have a TS jack cable in the Direct Out going to the audio interface. But I cannot change anything in this Output. It’s greyed out in RM.

• “Git analog” ... I cannot change anything in this Output. It’s greyed out in RM.

All output options starting with Git... are meant to be true/identical/unaltered to the front input signal. In case of Git Analog it's actually split out before AD conversion. In other words, there is no point altering that signal. Git-Processing is almost the same with the only difference being that the signal has gone through AD/DA conversion. Git Studio just lifts the HiZ guitar signal to studio line level. No user changes available (or necessary).

• All output options starting with Git... are meant to be true/identical/unaltered to the front input signal. In case of Git Analog it's actually split out before AD conversion. In other words, there is no point altering that signal. Git-Processing is almost the same with the only difference being that the signal has gone through AD/DA conversion. Git Studio just lifts the HiZ guitar signal to studio line level. No user changes available (or necessary).

Hey man 🙂 The mighty and awesome lightbox 🙂 Hope everything is going great.

But what is preferred when re-amping then? An unaltered signal, a signal that has gone through ad/da conversion or a signal that has been lifted to line level? There must be a difference, I guess.

And do you have a clue about why, I cannot edit the output of Direct Out?

• And do you have a clue about why, I cannot edit the output of Direct Out?

as long as an fx loop is active in the currently loaded rig the signal that appears at the send/direct out is determined by the actual position of the fx loop in the signal chain. Therefore the output source parameter appears greyed out. Deactivate the fx loop to change the value for the output source parameter.

• as long as an fx loop is active in the currently loaded rig the signal that appears at the send/direct out is determined by the actual position of the fx loop in the signal chain. Therefore the output source parameter appears greyed out. Deactivate the fx loop to change the value for the output source parameter.

Jesus Christ man….that was it….now I love you again 🤣🤣🤣🤣 Ridiculous I didn’t think of that. Lucky for me you are used to deal with stupid people like me 🤣 Thanx 🙏🏻