IRs Question

• Hi all,

I don't use IRs at all for cab section cause cab profiles are pretty convincing :love::thumbup:and i've never felt the need of using them whatever the modeler i use/used (cause it's not convenient too IMO to find which one is the best in a list of hundred of IRs, this quest is pretty boring for me).

but i had a banjo IR or acoustic guitars (acoustic sim can be enough now ;) with my Helix.

I have not tried it yet, but i was thinking about doing a Rig with this banjo IR.

If i've understood correctly, when you push an IR, it's automatically converted into cab profile. I assume it's gonna be blocked in the cab section and it's not able to move it in another place.

In Helix, for this kind of purpose, i would have placed the IR and a studio Amp/preamp after this one....

In your opinion, how can i achieve such kind of RIG ? How would you do ?

In addition, i have a Kone ;) (i presume i just have to select FRFR imprint for this rig)....

• You could import the IR via Rig Manager and it transforms into a cabinet preset, which you can load into the PROFILER. You can switch off the amp module, if you don't need it.

You could also create a PROFILE of your Helix.

• Digging back in my memory, I thought IR's are just converted to cab profile as you suggest. That cab can then be used with any rig, so not limited.

Yes these only work under FRFR.

My only other comment, in my personal view, IR's are not necessary with the KPA. They are much more prolific in the Helix world.

They definately sound different, not necessarily better - for me, another rabbit hole :)

• And if I'm right someone here on the forum said that IRs sounds better when loaded after the kemper in the DAW ( with an imulseloader/reverb plugin) than convert IRs into the kemper.

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

• Thanx for your answers.

In fact, to be more precise, I would only like to create a Banjo RIG.

I have sold my Helix (I have a Kemper Stage ; it would be useless ;):P) but i've kept some IRs files somewhere on my PC.

Before with Helix, i would have built a preset with the IR at the beginning of the chain and would have put an acoustic amp block after this one.

The question is ; can i do so with my Stage ? I could put my Banjo IR in A/B/C/D block and will search an acoustic amp on the cloud to put it after in my chain if i process the same way, it would be logical.... I won't use this rig with a daw...I wanna have it all in my Stage.

Or do i have to put it in the Cab block as suggested and built my rig this way, will it sound good ?

• The question is ; can i do so with my Stage ? I could put my Banjo IR in A/B/C/D block and will search an acoustic amp on the cloud to put it after in my chain if i process the same way, it would be logical.... I won't use this rig with a daw...I wanna have it all in my Stage.

The IR is converted to a CAB and can only be used in the AMP/CAB location. You cant move it around like on the Helix.

You could try some options after the amp block such as the comp stomp, treble booster, etc. to simulate some amplification effect. The comp set to about 4-5 is very amp like in its drive, for example.

• If you want to use an IR for a banjo or acoustic guitar, you can import them and they will show up as a cabinet. You can profile a short cable and get a very neutral amp as a direct profile. Then use that direct profile of the cable with the IR you imported for the banjo or acoustic guitar and it should sound good.

I typically only use imported IRs on direct profiles since they don't have a cab with them. I have used acoustic guitar IRs and they work well. If you can't get enough volume using just the cab block you and do the profile of the cable. There may be a cable profile on the rig exchange that you could pull down. It is pretty easy to create one though.