Best interface to use with Profiler?

• Hi!

I just got my Kemper Profiler rack version, this thing is amazing. I want to be able to do some recording with it, what is the best/recommended or maybe even most commonly used interface? I would like to also be able to plugin a microphone and maybe live stream music production.

• Depends on if you want to use SPDIF for reamping. The most common interfaces are Focusrite but I own a Motu which has much better specs and better User Interface.

You should get at minimum of 4 inputs - 4 outputs (4i4). And then decide whether to go SPDIF in addition to that. You can reamp without SPDIF and that's why you need 4i4 or similar.

Welcome to the Party!

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• im using the Apollo Twin and i really like the analog sound with the Kemper,also i have a focusrite 6i6 with spdif

Guitar: Fender Strat HSS<3 Schecter Custom Solo II

Signal Chain: Kemper->AxeFX 3>Neural QC>Apollo Twin->M-Audio Monitors

Computer:Mac Studio

• Depends on if you want to use SPDIF for reamping. The most common interfaces are Focusrite but I own a Motu which has much better specs and better User Interface.

You should get at minimum of 4 inputs - 4 outputs (4i4). And then decide whether to go SPDIF in addition to that. You can reamp without SPDIF and that's why you need 4i4 or similar.

Welcome to the Party!

I picked up a Focusrite Scarlett 18i8, should this do the trick?

It appears to have a SPDIF input/ouput and hopefully plenty of input for line/instrument.

With this type of interface, what is the most common cable configuration?

Would it be:

USB-B to computer USB-A (for rig manager/updates)

SPDIF output to interface SPDIF input, is this dry or wet signal (or can it be used for either one and only this one if I do NOT want to reamp)?

Left/Right XLR output to interface L/R input for wet signal?

Sorry for the newbie questions but all around I am getting my feet wet :).

• You mentioned live streaming music production ... and to achieve that it's very helpful to have an audio interface with flexible loopback features. Focusrite has a history of being pretty limited in this regard. I think you'll find out as you go. On the positive side though, you got an interface with enough inputs and outputs. :)

• You mentioned live streaming music production ... and to achieve that it's very helpful to have an audio interface with flexible loopback features. Focusrite has a history of being pretty limited in this regard. I think you'll find out as you go. On the positive side though, you got an interface with enough inputs and outputs. :)

I'm rich, what is a great interface for loopback?

• Which one do you recommend for the Kepler (both direct/live monitoring), dry signal (for re-amping) and a mic signal (and for live streaming hehe)?

You have access to the Kepler Space Telescope? Wow! You must be like Jeff Bezos rich! Congrats! 8o

Serious note: If you can afford a $2000 D/A that would open up a lot of interface options.

• You have access to the Kepler Space Telescope? Wow! You must be like Jeff Bezos rich! Congrats! 8o

Serious note: If you can afford a $2000 D/A that would open up a lot of interface options.

Whoops, I will correct the typo, although, they are both equally as awesome!

I would say that is a reasonable price range for me ...any recommendations, lol?

• Before I anwer your question and congratulate you for being rich ... let me ask you 2 questions:

1. Are you on Windows or Mac?

2. What do you mean with "work with the ADI-2 PRO FS R"? What exactly are you expecting?

1. Windows

2. ADI-2 PRO FS R is a pretty sweet converter, I would like to run my mic pre-amp through this and then into my interface (so I assume an interface that is compatible)?

• I have the Motu M4 but plan on upgrading to this one after the Recession is over.

https://www.sweetwater.com/sto…18x22-usb-audio-interface

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I have the Motu M4 but plan on upgrading to this one after the Recession is over.

https://www.sweetwater.com/sto…18x22-usb-audio-interface

great review.

I might check this interface out.

So if I had mic preamp that I believe connects through 1/4, I would connect this to one of the 1/4 inputs, the Kemper dry signal through SPIDF and then the two XLR inputs on the front for the L/R XLR from Kemper, is this correct?

• great review.

I might check this interface out.

So if I had mic preamp that I believe connects through 1/4, I would connect this to one of the 1/4 inputs, the Kemper dry signal through SPIDF and then the two XLR inputs on the front for the L/R XLR from Kemper, is this correct?

Yes, but I believe you can also send the Kemper L/R outputs to the any of the Motu's L/R line inputs on the back if you wanted to use the Motu's front built-in mic preamps. I would at least try them out to see how they sound before committing to a separate preamp.

• Yes, but I believe you can also send the Kemper L/R outputs to the any of the Motu's L/R line inputs on the back if you wanted to use the Motu's front built-in mic preamps. I would at least try them out to see how they sound before committing to a separate preamp.

ah, okay! That makes sense!

So it would be Kemper L/R 1/4 output to Motu 1/4 L/R input (on the back)
    SPDIF from Kemper output to Motu SPDIF input (dry signal for re-amping)
    Mic input on the front for mic + premap (or just turn off the preamp and use my own preamp)

?

Thanks for all the help!

• 1. Windows

2. ADI-2 PRO FS R is a pretty sweet converter, I would like to run my mic pre-amp through this and then into my interface (so I assume an interface that is compatible)?

Ok, great.

As far as I understand so far, you would like to hook up your ADI-2 to the interface and at the same time your Profiler via S/PDIF. There is one interface that would fit your needs pretty much perfectly ... and that's the RME UCX II. It gives you the option to connect your ADI-2 via AES/EBU I/O and at the same time your Profiler via coaxial S/PDIF I/O.

If your Profiler is a relatively new rack or head ... or the Stage ... it would be the perfect scenario because you can keep the UCX II as the master and slave Profiler and ADI-2 to it.

Also, the UCX II allows for multiple custom loopback mixes that are all independently available as WDM devices on Windows. Brilliant for streaming! And I don't know any other audio interface manufacturer that offers this powerful feature.

Check it out and if you decide to go this route, I'm always happy to help.

• This is great! I will check out this out!

What if I wanted to use SPDIF for dry signal and then L/R (XLR or 1/4), would this still work (and then mic coming from ADI-2 FS R)?

EDIT

Maybe I am not even sure what I want, lol, maybe instead, SPIDF Kemper output to SPIDF input (interface) this would be for the dry signal, L/R 1/4 output from Kemper to interfact L/R 1/4 input, then maybe from ADI 2 L/R output to another L/R input on the interface (1/4), my microphone would connected to a preamp which then connects to the ADI-2, does this work or am I showing my audio engineering noviceness?