Best interface to use with Profiler?

• What if I wanted to use SPDIF for dry signal and then L/R (XLR or 1/4), would this still work

Of course it would work even though I don't do it this way (my studio in Germany is built around the RME UFX+ and my studio in Kathmandu, Nepal has the RME UFX II). If you want to do it like you wrote, just make sure you go XLR female -> TRS from Main Outputs of Profiler to Line Inputs on the audio interface. This gives you a balanced connection.

... then maybe from ADI 2 L/R output to another L/R input on the interface (1/4), my microphone would connected to a preamp which then connects to the ADI-2 ...

I would not do that even though it would work, technically.

1. I don't see an advantage of running your mic preamp through the ADI-2's AD and DA stages just to end up with yet another AD stage in the audio innterface. In my opinion it's one redundant conversion. If you really want to use the ADI-2, at least stay in the digital domain and use AES/EBU to go from ADI-2 into the audio interface.

2. The converters in the RME UCX II are exceptionally good within their limits (up to 192kHz sample rate PCM). I highly doubt you'll do DSD music production or even 384kHz or 768kHz. :) To be honest, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised if you skip the ADI-2 and connect your mic preamp directly to a line input of the UCX II.

• This was so incredibly helpful! You have convinced, I will be skipping the ADI-2, I think I am still going to use my 286s preamp (using a Shure SM7B).

"I would not do that even though it would work, technically."

With the RME UCX II, what configuration would you recommend (for Kemper and mic pre-amp)?

I am not sure there are enough connections to have a dry signal (usually via SPIDF), XLR (I think I need two just for this L/R) and then also a mic signal from a mic preamp? Or am I not understanding something (would not be surprised if I am not)?

Sorry if my questions seem wacky, lots to learn!

• With the RME UCX II, what configuration would you recommend (for Kemper and mic pre-amp)?

I am not sure there are enough connections to have a dry signal (usually via SPIDF), XLR (I think I need two just for this L/R) and then also a mic signal from a mic preamp?

I would recommend the following:

1. Profiler S/PDIF Out (Master Stereo) -> RME UCX II S/PDIF In

2. RME UCX II S/PDIF Out -> Profiler S/PDIF In (provides clock from audio interface to slave the Profiler and at the same time the left channel of the S/PDIF can be used for reamping).

3. Profiler Direct Out (Git Studio) -> RME UCX II Line In 5 (to record the guitar DI signal)

4. dbx 286s Line Out -> RME UCX II Line In 6

This way you still have 2 more unused Line inputs on the backpanel plus 4 more inputs on the front panel. And if you need even more inputs in the future, you still have ADAT which you can use to add 8 more channels (at up to 48kHz). So there's plenty of inputs (and outputs) you could use in the future.

If you manage to get this audio interface, you should try and compare the SM7B through your dbx vs. the mic preamp of the RME.

The RME mic preamps have up to 75dB gain and a 25% higher input impedance than the dbx. Might end up being a better suited mic pre for your low output mic. ;)

• amazing! You deserve all the great things in life!

Question about the UCX II, the SPDIF on the back is labeled over what looks like a computer cable like input, how does this work with what I have seen a SPDIF cable to be? Usually a smaller needle like cable?

EDIT

I think I see now, the device comes with a special connection that then splits into SPIDF, I am learning!

• Hi!

I just got my Kemper Profiler rack version, this thing is amazing. I want to be able to do some recording with it, what is the best/recommended or maybe even most commonly used interface? I would like to also be able to plugin a microphone and maybe live stream music production.

I now use a Behringer FLOW 8 mixer for my home studio. I run 1/4" TRS cables from the main outs on the Kemper Stage and then because the FLOW 8 can act as an audio interface, I also run USB to my MacBook. It can also stream/play the audio from my MacBook even when connected as an interface.

I would consider how many inputs you need. I needed to have the Kemper, my Captor X and a vocal mic available at the same time which is why I switched to the FLOW 8.

I used a Motu M2 for a while and had good results. Double check this, but I believe I ran into it with 1/4" TRS cables, not XLR as the XLR engaged the mic preamps and changed the sound (if I remember correctly). I do remember the Motu only has 1/4" TRS or RCA outs for the monitors.