L.A. bass : in heat

• What's this sudden thing about distorted basses.

I've tried a lot of distorted bass presets on a number of modellers and the KPA but I could never find any use for it.

But now I hear you guys using it to great effect. I just listened to Renaud's Legal & Easy track and that bass is killer in that context.

So how do you do it?

Distorted profiles?

Distorsion in pre profile slot?

Distorsion pedal before KPA?

Distorsion in you DAW?

Please divulge your distorted secrets.

Cheers,

Mats N

• thx Mats , that went very easily , grab the tele , load your filter bass profile, set transpose to -2 or something , play the main bass riff , done in 2 min at max . playing single notes is mandatory and this kind of tone cannot really be mixed with other basses or dist R git tones. Clean chorused guitar lines are the only things standing against.

About the dist ; I use the main kpa gain, setup just right, distorded for sure. I don't use a pedal in front.

I use a bass preset in my DAW as I would treat my others basses , similar results bandwise

• Cool track! Lots of super cool sounds on there.

I get the feeling of plateauing, happens to me constantly. All I can say is that the only way off that plateaux is to keep on going. Just churn out music as often as you can, make it daily like I do if you can. Let go of worrying about quality, embrace mediocrity because often the way to something interesting and new is straight through it and perfectionism is holding you back from exploration and taking risk. Think of Baz Lurhmann with his kitsch chic, he elevates the mundane to the most incredible art. Quality is a subjective metric and largely the result of quantity anyway.

• Just churn out music as often as you can, make it daily

Thx Per , lots of good advices here , I really appreciate , the lack of recognition & interest apart from you cool kemper users is definitely killing my will to go on , my work also took most of my energy. I still find some energy when the pressure is too high , grab a lespaul , shoot the JCM800 and get some instant relief. But the routine I had until know , going to my home studio each day after work doesn't give me the initial enjoyment I had in the previous years. I keep practicing to keep my fingers & voice , but that's it.

I'll still shoot a track when it's getting into interesting directions or when If find it potentially enjoying for your educated ears. I really need a break & a travel to a distant desertic land TBH.

Anyway I enjoy you guys tracking , it really keeps my interest going on & see you keep that flame high .

• Well that’s why I do this for myself and routine. If you want followers you have to play the marketing game, which is a whole other thing.

The reason I approach things how I do is because it frees me from the things that hold me back. Concern about what other people think, success or not etc, you can’t progress or make cool new things by trying to please other people. The point of making sound is to appease and express yourself. That sound might have musical qualities, it could just be noise. It’s for you, not for anyone else, your expression of you. Let go and let go of this pressure you’re putting on yourself.

The result doesn’t matter as much as the process (or at all).

The process is simply record, upload, share.