Pitching one channel and keeping another channel's original pitch

• Hi all,

I am terribly sorry, I cannot find a similar topic, and I am sure it existed from before..

I need to be able to do one channel pitched when I play live (for some moments).

I think, previously I had used Chromatic Pitch with 200% stereo and -50% mix, and it did the trick, - but now I hear that the original channel blends into the pitched one.

Could you suggest how to make this effect for pitching one channel only? It seems to be quite a simple feature, but for some reason I fail to make it..

Thank you! .

• I think you can try running a Pitch Shifter effect with a Parallel path, try putting the effect in the stomps section to prevent stereo spillover. I'm curious if that will work.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• I’m not sure I understand your question properly.

1 - Are you saying that you can still hear the original note together with the transposed note but you only want to hear the transposed not on its own.

2 - Or are you saying that you want to hear two different notes in harmony.

If 1 then use the Transpose effect instead of Chromatic Pitch.

If 2 Then Chromatic Pitch should work fine.

• Hi all, thank you for the answers!

What I have: one signal in, and live I use 2 processed signals (main output) out.

Normally without the needed function/pedal what I get out is a processed (distorted) guitar (stack + stomps + effects) - same for both main outputs.

What is needed - when I use the function/pedal, I need to get two outputs, where one output is pitched and has no blends from the unpitched. So, one channel should be original signal out (stack + stomps + effects). And another channel needs to be pitched (stack + stomps + effects + change of pitch), - all pitched and no blend from the unpitched signal.

Parallel path seems to be something else - rather a blending of differently processed channels in one, right?

I try to use Transpose in Effects and it seems like it gives one channel unpitched, but another one, pitched, still has a blend of the original signal out.

PS:

"First I guess you might have used Chromatic Pitch with +50% (detuned signal only) and not -50% (direct signal only)."

- yes, correct, - misprinted. I used +50% and 200% stereo.

• I guess you are looking for an effect, that allows to set panorama for each voice.

I would try to abuse a Melody Chromatic Delay eliminating what's not needed:

Set Mix to 100% (wet) to eliminate the original from both channels,

Feedback 0%,

Delay Time/Ratio 0ms/0%,

Pitch 1 to 0 (that is your unpitched signal) with Volume 10 and Panorama -100%,

Pitch 2 to x (that is your pitched signal) with Volume 10 and Panorama +100%,

Pitch 3 and 4 both Volumes down,

Stereo 200%,

Modulation 0, Pitch Detune 0, Flutter Intensity/Rate 0,

Formant Shift and Ducking as needed.

• Hey! Thank you, - tried it and it works quite well. It, however, changes the tone of the original signal still (despite removing high cut and low cuts to a maximum to that the interference would be minimal), - but a possible solution!

• I'm not in front of my Kemper right now so this is from memory, but here are two things I can think of.

* The Voice Balance parameter plays a role in the way the Stereo knob works. If you enable only one pitched voice (by turning Voice Balance all the way to the left or right), the Stereo knob pans the unpitched signal to one side and the pitched signal to the other side. If you enable both pitched voices (by leaving Voice Balance somewhere in the middle), the Stereo knob pans those pitched voices left and right and leaves the unpitched signal in the middle. So, in your case, make sure that Voice Balance is all the way to the left or right.

* I'm not sure if this applies to the Chromatic Pitch effect, but I seem to remember setting the Stereo parameter beyond 100% enables something Kemper calls "super-stereo", which makes the stereo image appear wider than the physical distance between your speakers if you stand in the correct position between and in front of them. Now this is speculation, but I imagine "super-stereo” works by mixing a bit of the right channel into the left channel, and vice versa, but phase-inverted, to cancel out all hard-panned signals in the middle. If you listen to each channel separately, or in headphones, the cancellation in the air between the speakers does not happen, which might give you the impression of the opposite side bleeding through. So, tldr: try 100% stereo instead of 200% to avoid this.

Edit: Sorry, I just gave it a spin and my second point doesn't seem to be correct, at least for the Pitch Shifter effects. There, as far as I could tell, 200% simply means a hard pan, without the "super-stereo" mid cancellation (which seems to be specific to the Delay effects).

It's hard to tell while playing because the direct sound of the strings always bleeds through, but I think with these settings of Chromatic or Harmonic Pitch I was getting full L-R separation between pitched and unpitched signal:

Voice Balance -50% (i.e., using only the first pitched voice)

Mix 0% (same volume for pitched and unpitched signal)

Stereo 200%