Dovetail Lane

• So, there was a murder on Dovetail Lane last week but it's okay because the victim was filthy rich. I used my KillStrat for rhythm and solo in Drop C for a darker-meaty feel. I used the Kemper Transpose so it sounds like the tone drags a little me. No Doubt down tuning the guitar would be better. I did a little vibrato on the chords and much more on the solo. I still need to be much more consistent with my chords though and more fluent with solo phrasing. Much slower BPM than I am used to. Just trying to "up my game".

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Well done! Each time is a big step forward from the last. The mix on this one is a substantial step forward!

Something to focus on for next time are the transitions, the riffs you use to go between rhythm sections. The riffs themselves are fine but the timing and rhythm needs to be spot on and right now you drop speed going into them.

To practice these start with a metronome or the drum beat going real slow, do the riff, then raise the tempo just a little, do the riff, keep raising the speed till you get as fast as you can play it accurately without messing up any notes, as soon as you mess up a note start to slow down, and go all the way back down to the beginning speed. Just keep doing that and slowly your top speed will improve. The critical thing is to try and make each note sound good.

Also try just singing the riff in as a track to match the rhythm of, not full on singing, just rhythmic sounds "ba'da'badaah" or you can think in pheonetic patterns like the old Jazz guys and John Lennon "making-the-toast" etc.

• Thanks Per! I'll take that advice. I think the bass track is where I lag the most. I need to get much more comfortable playing that to tighten up the timings. I'm still fumbling with that long ass neck and thick strings.

• Thanks Franjoe30 ! You actually inspired me to write this song. I transposed Kemper to Drop C and then noodled around to see what I could do with it. Next time I will detune one of my hardtails and do it the proper way.