Profiling with Kemper Stage Problems

• Hey there everyone.

I have owned a "toaster" Kemper profiler for a while, profiled my 6505+ with it and got some amazing profiles. I have since sold that Kemper and purchased a Kemper Stage. I tried to profile my Engl Fireball the other day and the result sounded absolutely hideous. Trying to retrace my steps as I did the same thing to profile with the stage as I did with the toaster.

Guitar into Kemper Stage input

Kemper send 1 into front input of Engl Fireball

SM 57 into return 1 of Kemper Stage and placed directly in center cone of Mesa 2-12 speaker

Set the stage into Profile mode

Profile set to distortion

Play through the Engl to get input volume set

Hit profile.......All the weird noises take place.

***On two occasions, there was an error. I raised the volume of the amp slightly and then it corrected the error.

I have now had a profile that just sounded completely like flub and another profile that sounded like my amp was set on the clean channel.

Is profiling different or are there steps that I may be missing with the stage? I would really like to profile my Engl, but I am obviously doing something wrong here. Any help would be appreciated.

• The Kemper does some thing with its own return gain to auto-level the mic. I know I have had issues getting started where it said the signal coming from the mic was too loud or too quiet. After running it again it usually fixed itself. Sometimes I tweak the knob on the LCD screen to adjust the gain.

I really need to pay more attention to this the next time it happens. Usually focused on 10 other things when profiling. Like mic placement, echoes in the room, external noise like planes,trains, and toilets. :wacko:

Another thing I have seen is if the mic is picking up your guitar strings acoustically when refining. That will really blow its mind. Or you turn the amp off when refining. I once assumed the Kemper was using the newly formed profile when refining. It is not. It is still using the amp/mic. So turning the amp off or changing its volume will blow its mind.

Or something changes between the profile and the refine process. Maybe the mic/cable/input connection is bad and it is changing as you are profiling. I know I have cable issues with XLR all the time. I usually have the cables held and pulled sideways to make sure they stay connected. One reason why TS is better than TRS/XLR. If a pin is disconnecting you get nothing. Instead of some weird thing,

Are you getting the Noise Gate Found message after profiling? I get that on occasion and it usually works fine but you lose some sustain on the profile. But it could definitely be the issue as Wheresthedug suggested.