Non powered Kemper head

• I’m new to Modeling profilers and I just picked up a used Kemper non powered head, I’m hoping someone can take me through what I can use to power my Kemper head ? I have been putting together a small home studio and want to use the Kemper for recording . I’m wondering if I can use an audio interface to power it or if there’s some pedals that will work and what they are, or can I plug it directly into my Gibson studio monitors? Any and all input is extremely appreciated, Thanks

• unless you want to use it for gigging, you don’t need anything extra.

Sounds like you already have an audio interface and studio monitors. These are perfect for using the KPA in a recording setup.

Send the L and R main outs to a line input on your interface and you are good to go. If you have SPDIF on your interface you can use that too.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Like Wheresthedug said. Power Studio Monitors is all you need for home, and you don't even need an interface to hook them up. You can go right to the Main Outs if you wish.

If you want to gig then you have several options; Powered Kabinets , or non-powered cabinets using something like a Seymour Duncan powerstage SS amp, or straight into FOH, etc.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• If you are lookign to set up a studio, assuming you want to be able to record, you need a PC, a DAW and an interface.

You can then listen to the output either through headphones or powered studio monitors. Therefore you don't need anything else for the Kemper itself, more about kitting out your studio..

• So, you have the Kemper. That's the best purchase for you studio already out the way. You need an interface to hook the Kemper up to the computer if you want to record (assuming you aren't going to use a standalone 8 or 16 track)You have the option of spdif or analogue connection between the Kemper and your interface and will need the relevant cables. Interfaces connect to the computer via usb cable or similar. You can spend as much or as little as you want on an interface, eg behringer make usable cheap interfaces but do a bit of research, as there are plenty of options - I use Audient . You might only need a couple of line level inputs but you can get more. You'll need a DAW, again, lots of choice there, I use Reaper on a paid licence, but you trial it for an unspecified time free.

As far as pedals, presume you mean effect pedals - Kemper is already loaded with fantastic ones.

There's a lot of very experienced guys on here who will be able to advise way more than I can.

Have fun.

• thanks guys for all the input, yea I really didn't give much detail when wrote out the question but I have pretty much a fully put together studio, I've spent the last year picking up stuff. the problem is I just added the Kemper last week (used) and I was struggling with how to add it in to existing stuff and exactly how it functions. When I mentioned pedals I was referring to some of these pre amp and amplifier pedals that are out now, or even things like the power station etc. I also have heard about using a frfr cabinet, and was wondering if that was something that would alter the sound when playing live. I have a Marshall plexi 20 watt with a Marshall 2x12 cabinet and I haven't tried using that with my Kemper yet. so I'm trying to figure out the best way to practice at home and just get a good sound. I have other amps as well that aren't as loud as the Marshall. So I'm just working my way through the Kemper trying to learn it.

• thanks guys for all the input, yea I really didn't give much detail when wrote out the question but I have pretty much a fully put together studio, I've spent the last year picking up stuff. the problem is I just added the Kemper last week (used) and I was struggling with how to add it in to existing stuff and exactly how it functions. When I mentioned pedals I was referring to some of these pre amp and amplifier pedals that are out now, or even things like the power station etc. I also have heard about using a frfr cabinet, and was wondering if that was something that would alter the sound when playing live. I have a Marshall plexi 20 watt with a Marshall 2x12 cabinet and I haven't tried using that with my Kemper yet. so I'm trying to figure out the best way to practice at home and just get a good sound. I have other amps as well that aren't as loud as the Marshall. So I'm just working my way through the Kemper trying to learn it.

Profile the Marshall and then you can practice at home at any volume without losing the cranked Marshall tone.

• gotcha - the only thing might be useful is a cheap expression pedal or 2, for the morph feature and volume if you want it. The Kemper foot controller gives loads of options, but for a studio you can probably live without it, although they do give more flexibility for switching effects etc.

If you want to use a cab with an unpowered Kemper you will either need a powered frfr type cab (or Kemper Kab) or an outboard power amp to use with unpowered cabs which can be pretty inexpensive too.

I'm still on a Kemper journey myself - same reasons as you, so excuse me for showing off my huge wealth of knowledge :D:D

But fire away, someone here will know the answers you need.

• I'm assuming your Gibson studio monitors are powered. If so that's all you need for recording. Get a little Seymour Duncan amp if you want to play through your guitar cab for jamming at higher volume.