3 New User Questions

• I have a few new user questions, that I haven’t been able to find the answer to elsewhere and don’t wish to bother Kemper support with. I trust the experienced amongst us will bear with me and my simple queries.

The Home Computer I use for downloading and updating etc. is in a different location from the Music Computer and Studio Gear, but they share the same building and internet router.

Can I install Rig Manager on the two separate computers, as I think it will be more convenient, helpful and easier to have Rig Manager on both, depending upon what I am doing?

When I first used the Kemper, I had to input a User Name into the device. As I was attempting to do so, and floundering a little, unfamiliar as I was with it, somehow the device suddenly accepted an incomplete name and moved on to the next stage.

Can I revisit and edit the incorrect name and exactly how would I do that, step by step?

I note that by design the Kemper utilises microphones dynamic mic types i.e. that there is no provision for phantom powered condenser mics. Although I have the ubiquitous SM 57 and I suppose my best dynamic mic is the SM7B, I would prefer to use one of my Neumann mics for profiling, when I eventually get round to that process.

Here's the thing. I have a couple of studio boxes specifically designed to provide 48 V phantom power for mics where no phantom power exists.

Can I use the Condenser Mics with 48V phantom power from the Studio boxes, using the line out from the Studio box into the Kemper, via the return XLR socket at the rear of the Kemper, without deleterious harm to the device?

Or is it just safer and better simply to use a dynamic mic?

Although the answers to these questions may seem obvious to many, I prefer to ask the questions and benefit from the experience of people more knowledgeable than myself.

Many Thanks in anticipation of any helpful replies!

• Can I revisit and edit the incorrect name and exactly how would I do that, step by step?

Yes, you can ... of course :)

SYSTEM menu, page 1 (LCD / HW Setup) ... the soft button in the top left of the screen is "Edit Owner". There you can change owner name and device name.

Can I use the Condenser Mics with 48V phantom power from the Studio boxes, using the line out from the Studio box into the Kemper, via the return XLR socket at the rear of the Kemper, without deleterious harm to the device?

Yes, you can ... as long as the 48V phantom power isn't fed into the Profiler. All phantom power injector boxes should be designed that way.

• Hi welcome!

1. Rig Manager works only with a physical USB cable, not over ethernet. You can of course install Rig Manager on two computers, but of course only one can be connected to the Kemper at a time.

2. I found the following info about renaming your Profiler on page 274 of the manual.

LCD / HW Setup / Brightness / User Interface

On the LCD / HW Setup page you can control the settings for the display and adjust the “Line Frequency” parameter.

Press the soft button labeled “Startup Dialog” to enter the menu where you can enter your name and set current time and date. Whenever you create your own PROFILEs, the “Rig Author” tag will default to the Owner Name. The “Startup Dialog” appears automatically when the PROFILER is started for the first time.

Using the soft button labeled “Edit Owner” you can edit the Owner Name and assign a Device Name to your PROFILER. Assigning unique Device Names is useful if you intend to connect and manage multiple PROFILER units with the Rig Manager application.

3. Sorry, cant help with this, but I'm sure someone else will come along shortly... :)

• Thank you all so much for the helpful responses, links and information; but even more so, a big Thank You for your friendliness and kindness.

This seems like a very friendly forum, brimming with knowledgeable and genuine people. A great place to learn.

I've was also very impressed by the speedy, helpful support at Kemper, as I sent a pre-sales question.

It seems an extremely well-run operation on top of a great product.

I just wish all companies were like this!