Guitar getting to darn loud at solos using In ear monitoring

• Hi!

I´ve been using my Kemper with in ears from time to time.

Its great but when its time to really shine and you kick in the boost to let everybody hear your fantastic solo its too darn loud in the in ear monitors. 85% of the gigs we dont hava a sound guy who can turn it up. I have to boost it. What do u think about having a analog clean boost on the one of the outputs going to FOH and routing another output from kemper to the in ear?

I realize i´ve answered my own question but like to have your in put as well!:)

• The bands I've worked with ease back a little and let our soloist shine without reservation.8)

Yep.

Also, a boosting mids a bit makes the guitar stand out. Just adding volume isn’t always the best thing.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• I use in ears with no problems, your suggested solution shouldn't be needed as you have ultimate volume control.

Given the relative effect of the boost should be relatively the same FOH as it is in ears, I think there are a couple of options/things to look at:

1) A common "mistake" for in ears is to have your guitar rhythm already louder than the other instruments in you in ears - in other words your relative volume in ears should be the same as FOH. That way your already loud guitar is even louder. Start with a good balance in ears and your boost should sound very similar to that FOH.

2) As mentioned, its more about cut than volume. Check out the studio eq preset "cut the mix"

3) Monitoring vs FOH is always some kind of compromise. I would make sure FOH is sorted first and then sort out your in ears. Note your in ears will be less " forgiving" as its directly into your ears so you will notice differences more BUT that is why your rhythm sound should be lower as it should still cut within the band without going crazy loud.

• +1

you have to get a good balance of volume in your in ears.
    learn to play « in the mix ».
    set drums volume then bass.
    next set your guitar volume just to fit the mix.

Then add the rest.

If you want to hear more your guitar, mix down the vocals.

• You should never rely on the soundguy to boost your volume for solos. That won't work unless you have an audio-engineer that is practically a member of the band. I boost output for solos either with morphing to a raised rig volume or switching to a louder separate rig. For small gigs with no soundguy I do the mixing myself from the stage and have become used to listen to the same mix that go to FOH. Ideally, with a soundguy I also prefer to have the same relative mix, but adding a couple dB extra of my own guitar and voice to my inears by setting up a post-fader tap of the main mix with a little extra for the channeks that matters. I don't like the added latency of feeding monitoring back through my KPA . If I have no control of the monitoring mix myself, then I'd rather have a FR-cabinet behind me or a dedicated wedge for guitar in front of me.

• You should never rely on the soundguy to boost your volume for solos.

Totally agree.

Actually had a support band do a sound check, and the sound engineer asked for the solo volume from the guitarist. The guitarists response was " that's your job".... I was shocked.

The engineer's response was great....." that's fine but I don't know your songs or where your solos are so by the time I turn it up, your solo might be over....but that's up to you..."

• Relying on the sound engineer to get your solos boosted is a bad plan. Not only are you relying on someone else - it removes spontaneity. The easiest example is a Blues jam. People swap rhythm for lead constantly.

The other thing to consider when making a solo 'louder' is how FOH sets the sound up. FOH wants an even sound so that spikes in volume and frequency are limited. A compressor/limiter will fight or even negate your volume boost. The band laying back is one way. Another is to punch up the frequencies that make the guitar stand out.

Heck - the Kemper has a booster almost no one talks about. The Lead Booster.

• Backing up a step. Do you really need IEMs? Is it worth re-evaluating whether you actually need them? I only use IEMs when the excessive volume forces me into it. Not trying to open a can of worms, just asking...

• Backing up a step. Do you really need IEMs? Is it worth re-evaluating whether you actually need them? I only use IEMs when the excessive volume forces me into it. Not trying to open a can of worms, just asking...

When I can - I'll opt for in ears. The control and consistency of your mix is bonkers.

• The other thing to consider when making a solo 'louder' is how FOH sets the sound up. FOH wants an even sound so that spikes in volume and frequency are limited. A compressor/limiter will fight or even negate your volume boost. The band laying back is one way. Another is to punch up the frequencies that make the guitar stand out.

I always sound check my lead/volume boost so the sound guy expects it, also to avoid clipping if he has the gain especially high :)

• Relying on the sound engineer to get your solos boosted is a bad plan. Not only are you relying on someone else - it removes spontaneity. The easiest example is a Blues jam. People swap rhythm for lead constantly.

The other thing to consider when making a solo 'louder' is how FOH sets the sound up. FOH wants an even sound so that spikes in volume and frequency are limited. A compressor/limiter will fight or even negate your volume boost. The band laying back is one way. Another is to punch up the frequencies that make the guitar stand out.

Heck - the Kemper has a booster almost no one talks about. The Lead Booster.

I also have my sound very "ice picky" to cut though ha!!

For the others, that is an in joke :) I send Rufus a profile and it sliced his ears ha!

• I also have my sound very "ice picky" to cut though ha!!

For the others, that is an in joke :) I send Rufus a profile and it sliced his ears ha!

LOL - It sure did!! Ain't no way you won't be heard with that sound. ;)

• I'm not sure it's gong to be helpful here, but I have to say I disagree strongly on two points being made here.

1) I need my in-ear mix to be what works for me to do my best performance.

That often means "more me" in my ears and not what would be considered a balanced 'good FOH mix'.

and

2) I very much expect our FOH mixer to be riding solos and actually mixing during the show.

While I might expect a guitar solo sound to want to change, and perhaps boost in level, in the Kemper for artistic reasons, I don't think the purpose is to idiot proof the FOH mix.

Granted, I'm not playing clubs or relying on a bored or unqualified house sound guy.

But I expect the FOH engineer to be a professional so we, in the band, don't have to try to do his/her job as well as our own.

• 1) Totally agree. I think the point I was trying to make on this is "more me" tends to be how many people have their mix to start with and therefore when they boost its even higher relative volume. I prefer a mix that matches FOH. The other guitarist in our band has to have his volume so loud its crazy

2) I think it is very different if you play in a club where not only do they potentially care less, but they don't know your material. I do expect the engineer to obviously make adjustments but I'd never rely on them. If we had our own engineer then I'd be more inclined to boost on the desk.