How long have you been playing guitar?

• How long have you been playing guitar? 63

1. 1-5 years (2) 3%
    2. 6-10 years (1) 2%
    3. 11-15 years (2) 3%
    4. 16-25 years (4) 6%
    5. 26-40 years (24) 38%
    6. 41 or more years (30) 48%

This is not a contest on who has more but a way to gauge the average experience in this forum. No need to comment if you don't wish to but please vote. Commenting on the first riff or song you learned, or what got you interested to learn, or the genre you mostly play gets you a bonus. ;)

I'm also curious to see how many cumulative years of experience we have.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• I started "playing" at age 9 when Jimi released his "Hey Joe" -66 -67

and got my first electric 1971 ...... Do your math 8o

( Had thankfully kept me away from sport all this years 8) )

Cheers !

The adjective for metal is metallic. But not so for iron ... which is ironic.

Edited once, last by Hoki Toki ().

• I also started late with guitars until the proverbial "bolt of lightning" hit me. I am probably the youngest in experience of all of you. I made 4 years last month. Which is great because I can pool all your experience. I know I am learning well because you guys haven't kicked me out yet. ;)

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• I started around the age of 9 on an acoustic guitar. I was in Junior High School when I got my hands on an electric guitar through an overdriven amp. That was it. I was hooked. I remember one of the first songs I learned how to play on electric guitar was Love Stinks by J. Giles. If I took a few mintes and messed with it, I think I could still play it today.

• Class 1970, played Piano starting at age of 4, classic guitar at 10 and Electric at 15...Can't think of my life without making music...

If something is too complicated, then you need to learn it better

• ( Had thankfully kept me away from sport all this years 8) )

Cheers !

I didn't care for sport but as a I child I did sport becuase I wanted to fit in. But as a teenager I realised no matter what I did I didn't fit in and eventually I didn't wanted to fit in in the average Joe world. I walked my way. Music was my passion and I wanted to play music and guitar so that was what I did.

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

• I was playing lead air guitar by kindergarten. Since I was dirt poor I went Trumpet, Piano, Acoustic guitar, then finally Electric. Around 1979 (8th grade) or so before I could get cash for the electric.

But I was always a heavy guitar fan way before then. I always joke that I was way ahead of my time when I was listening to Black Sabbath LPs on 16 speed in the mid 70's. Now every heavy band is drop tuned to A,B, or C. You guys were like 20 years too late for me.

Since I am not very good, I never spent real money on the hobby until I got the Kemper. Anything distorted would make me happy before then.

• 35 years. Learned more the last 5 years than the first 30 due to adoptation of real learning principles.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• damn.. why you have to remind me this.;(

I'm still struggling with chords and scales.. since 27 years =O I guess I ll never learn^^

First riff?

Problably this but I'm not sure at all

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

but the One who really push me to play electric gutar is Slash.

A VHS of Tokyo '92 was the beginning of the ruin:P

Honestly I also love to listen other music genere (not just hard rock) but the first love about guitar is Slash.

• I started playing in church when I was a kid around 10 year old. I'm 62 and still can't play worth sh..t...

So I have been trying to play guitar for around 52 years. Really playing guitar? I don't think I ever been able to do that.

• Wow, we're an old group! 1972 for me. First public performance 1974 9th grade school assembly with two buddies. A thoroughly cheesy acoustic rendition of Stairway to Heaven. Of course. First Valve amp I bought: Rickenbacker B212 - good luck trying to find one of those anymore.