CK: NRPN Advanced MIDI documentation request

• Friendly Bi-Weekly request...lol.

Mr. kemper,

It would be great to have the documentation for the NRPN MIDI emplementation. In a previous post you gave us a few of the mapped commands and told us that there is a full interface to nearly all functions. Many of us would like to have more access to the parameters so we can develope applications for computers and mobile devices to enhance the usability of the KPA.

The "KPA Tag Extractor" is working and useful. Now its time for "Live Editor" development if possible.
    Could we get an update on if and when we might be able to move forward with our efforts?

Thanks for an update.

bd

• An dieser Stelle mal Danke! an Christoph für das Mitverfolgen und Beantworten der doch recht zahlreichen Forumsbeiträge! Freue mich auch auf die MIDI-Implementations-Beschreibung und hoffe weiterhin, bald Delay-Mix (+ andere Parameter) per Pedal steuern zu können .... ;)

At this point Thanks! to Christoph for monitoring the threads and for replying to many questions and wishes!
    :thumbup:

• It's Here :thumbup:
    Profiler MIDI Parameter Guide

As Promised.
    Kemper Army delivers :thumbup:

• Ok, now we have that NRPN Advanced MIDI documentation. :P
    And we have some older knowledge about CC:s, as volume is cc7, wah is cc1 etc. :D
    Now, Im not good in hexas so:
    Due to the documentation #9475 should be "delay mix".
    Can someone please explain how is it possible to convert this new information so, that you can get delay mix handled with a simple cc -number?
    And: if that is for some reason impossible, how these "old" existing cc:s then work? Are they programmed in another way? ?( ?( ?(
    Thanks,
    -Olli

• Can someone please explain how is it possible to convert this new information so, that you can get delay mix handled with a simple cc -number?
    And: if that is for some reason impossible, how these "old" existing cc:s then work? Are they programmed in another way? ?( ?( ?(

I think they are in fact "programmed in another way", if I get your meaning. In other words, not all of the KPA's parameters are exposed via simple CC#'s. (There are only so many CC's made available for general use in the MIDI specification to begin with.) For the rest, we have to comply with Kemper's spec and send the appropriate NRPN (non-registered parameter number) messages.

It's likely that some additional key parameters could be made to respond to CC's if there were sufficient demand, but that would require a KPA firmware update. FWIW, I really wish Amp Gain had a corresponding CC#.

Until then, it's a pricey solution, but: http://www.midisolutions.com/prodepp.htm

• Well... the good news is that expression pedals should be fine. If nothing else (according to the documentation) the KPA is good about supporting low-res signals with smoothing, which is sufficient for most applications.

The bad news: I'm not seeing any response from the Kemper when I send it messages indicated in the KPA docs, as I understand them. The docs themselves are a little fast and loose IMO; I'm surprised Kemper doesn't have something a bit more formal, if only for their own internal use.

My first test was to send NRPN via CC 98->99->06 and see whether I could get Gain to change on the KPA. This one parameter alone would be useful for me, so it's a good starting point for proof of concept. (To implement an editor there would be dozens more, but I don't have the time to start testing them at random hoping some work while others don't.) So SendSX confirms the KPA is seeing the following:

That's a sweep of three values on the GK Vol on my strat, converted to CC sequences to convey NRPN 10/4 - Amp Gain per the docs. But nothing happens. Has anyone else gotten any settings to automate by sending NRPNs to the Kemper?? I feel like there's something the docs aren't telling me, e.g. a timing requirement, a terminating message... something.

As for the MIDI Solutions programming, I agree the editor is a bit lacking for a device as sophisticated as the Event Processor, and it's a little buggy besides. Anyway, there are a few ways to write a script that converts a CC to NRPN (essentially 3 or 4 CC's in sequence), but here is a very simple example:

• My first test was to send NRPN via CC 98->99->06 and see whether I could get Gain to change on the KPA.

All parameters are 14 bit values, so you need to address the whole 14 bit value*[1]. Send 98,99,06 and 38. Send 38 as last controller. The reception of controller 38 will set the value. The LSB is required to be set. Data Increment/Decrement is not supported.

Timo

[1] What applies to RPN also applies to NRPN:

"2. To set the selected Registered Parameter to a specific value, send a Control
    Change messages to the Data Entry MSB controller (Control Number 6). If the
    selected Registered Parameter requires the LSB to be set, send another Control
    Change message to the Data Entry LSB controller (Control Number 38 )."