Request to add dynamics adjuster to amp/stomp sections

• I am always here begging for my Kemper Stage to have better dynamics. But ALL devices that add distortion suffer from clipping compression.

Recently I tried to learn a new programming craft, creating a VST plug-in. Every person who does this usually starts with a Distortion pedal. Here is mine.

One feature I added is called FRENZY. Since a Mako is a type of shark, I thought it would be fun. Notice the color scheme is blood and bone :S

Frenzy uses only a couple lines of code to try and add back some volume dynamics to the distorted signal. This code could only be accomplished if you have access to the signal BEFORE it gets distorted. It basically adds volume to the wet signal based on its volume difference to the dry signal. I then slowly decay this new volume setting over 1k-10k samples or so. So it acts like the opposite of a compressor (expander?).

I am just good enough at coding to be dangerous. So I am sure you guys will make it much better. Like smoothing the gain adjust a little and changing the damping code so it is adjustable and based on sample rate, etc, etc.

This whole feature could be controlled with one knob in Rig Manager that just multiplies 0-1 times the FrenzyVol[channel] value. 0 = no adjust, 1= full adjust.

This feature really shines when soloing since you get a big boost when digging in hard on notes.

For those of you interested in making your own VST, go to JUCE and download JUCE PROJUCER. They handle all of the heavy lifting so you can focus more on making nutty code. YouTube is your friend for how to get it working. I used Visual Studio 2022 C++ on PC and it worked out pretty good once I figured out debugging etc.

• Doesn’t direct mix and clarity handle this?

Maybe?

“Clarity” changes the sound of the distortion in a new and unique way. Turning the “Clarity” soft knob to the right will bring the clean character of the sound into focus without lowering the amount of distortion. The distortion itself will become less forward in the mid frequencies and sound far more transparent.

• No, I think what RosboneMako does is create a volume envelope for the output signal without adding any of the clean signal. I think the Clarity is more EQ related (going by the sparse description quoted from the manual above).

I suppose it's better to say that these controls may go about it differently, but get you to a similar place.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche