Kemper Stage and Samsung....

• Hey guys,

I'm getting a Stage unit but only have a Samsung S22 Android and Tablet. Is it OK to update the Stage with tablet and possibly the Android?

I am finding mixed info on this topic.

Thanks!

• Interesting. Hmm, maybe it's not a good idea to get the Stage then? I have no other option other than my Samsung proscusts. Although I was thinking of getting a Chrome book. Would that work?

I'm kind of anti apple. Lol.

• I don't care about tweaking on a computer, I just want to be able to update the Stage. Do I need an Apple product to do updates? Why would they make it so limited? It should be capable of updates with any USB or Bluetooth device - I would think.

• You can do updates with a USB thumb drive and backups too. You just have to download the update file into the thumb drive. A computer or laptop would be best to do that. I don't believe Tablets have a USB port but I haven't looked into the newer ones.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Windows, Mac and (more recently) iOS are the supported operating systems.

Kemper has stated they have no plans to support Android or anything else.

It may sound (and be) limiting. But since its release in 2011, this is what they’ve done.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• I should note that you can download updates from the Kemper Support page on an Android Device. They will store in your Downloads folder. I did a search and found this video so it may be possible to use your S22...

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• I had the same problem and ended up buying a cheap Windows based tablet. It runs Rig Manager perfectly as well as handling updates to the Kemper.

Edited to add: I considered the Chromebook route too but unfortunately they will not work in place of a Windows machine.

• I had the same problem and ended up buying a cheap Windows based tablet. It runs Rig Manager perfectly as well as handling updates to the Kemper.

Interesting. What did you buy?

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• Interesting. Hmm, maybe it's not a good idea to get the Stage then? I have no other option other than my Samsung proscusts. Although I was thinking of getting a Chrome book. Would that work?

I'm kind of anti apple. Lol.

From the Main Manual 8.5:

Updates, Backups and Sharing Sounds 312

Updates, Backups and Sharing Sounds

The PROFILER operating system should be updated on a regular basis to receive refinements and new features. Operating System Updates Before we lay out the technical steps to perform an update of the PROFILER operating system, let's explain the concept of how the PROFILER software evolves: KEMPER is constantly improving the software in terms of new features, enhanced capabilities, and fixes for known issues. The PROFILER can be updated in two ways:

• Rig Manager for Windows®* and macOS®* not only automatically manages its own updates, but also suggests and performs updates of the PROFILER OS. This is the best option if your PROFILER is close to a PC or MAC®* with internet access.

New updates can also be downloaded from the KEMPER download page and installed via USB memory stick. This is convenient if your PROFILER is somewhere without internet access. A USB memory stick can also be used to create PROFILER backups.

• I don't care about tweaking on a computer, I just want to be able to update the Stage. Do I need an Apple product to do updates? Why would they make it so limited? It should be capable of updates with any USB or Bluetooth device - I would think.

I think the assumption is most people have a PC or macbook.

Most samsung devices are mobiles ( phones and tablets).

Like you I'm a bit anti-apple and have a number of Samsung products but use the PC for updates.

Interfacing with the Kemper without Rig Manager would be a deal breaker for me.

• I think the assumption is most people have a PC or macbook.

Most samsung devices are mobiles ( phones and tablets).

Like you I'm a bit anti-apple and have a number of Samsung products but use the PC for updates.

Long story, but I met Steve Jobs and had friends work for him. I'll never own Apple. Windows isn't much better.

Anyway, what type of PC you use? I could use a laptop, so I could pick up a cheap laptop. Suggestions?

Thanks.

• I think the assumption is most people have a PC or macbook.

From a desktop/laptop perspective - this is completely true. Windows covers about 75% and MacOS another 15+%. So, love or hate.... 90% of the computers out there are on one of these systems.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• Interesting. What did you buy?

I believe the brand is Onn and it was if I remember right less than a hundred bucks from Walmart. I was trying to buy a regular windows laptop at the time but it was during the peak of COVID and with all the kids having to home school suddenly, there wasn't a laptop to be found anywhere. Turned out to be a great purchase. Just updated to Windows 11 and RM is still working perfectly.

• From a desktop/laptop perspective - this is completely true. Windows covers about 75% and MacOS another 15+%. So, love or hate.... 90% of the computers out there are on one of these systems.

Oh trust me, I get it. I work in IT, and it's all Mac and Windows, with some Linux.

• I believe the brand is Onn and it was if I remember right less than a hundred bucks from Walmart. I was trying to buy a regular windows laptop at the time but it was during the peak of COVID and with all the kids having to home school suddenly, there wasn't a laptop to be found anywhere. Turned out to be a great purchase. Just updated to Windows 11 and RM is still working perfectly.

Thanks my friend,

When I get the Stage unit, I'll grab an inexpensive laptop as well.

Stinks I can't use my tablet. I wish I had never bought it. I just use a keyboard with it to turn it into a laptop.

I'm fine picking up $250 Acer 15.6" Windows laptop.

Edited once, last by Boardn14 ().

• I use an old iPad for editing and USB key to update/backup. That prevents me to spend too much time surfing the Rig Exchange 8). But I'm pretty much set with what I need;)

If something is too complicated, then you need to learn it better

• I bought a used £45 windows tablet for my Kemper and RigManager. Works perfectly. Probably wouldn't do anything else but II don't care

Nice, good to know! Thanks.

Not familiar with an E45 Windows Tab but I'll research it!

There is also the Microsoft Surface Pro.

So, essentially, the Kemper only works with the Apple OS and Windows.