Prs review

• You may just not like PRS pickups, and you wouldn't be alone lol.

I definately didn't like the PRS SE pickups. I have one friend that has 2 PRS's (Custom 22 and the above 594. I have another friend with a custom 24.

Compared to my modified SE Custom 24:

1) I greatly prefer they way all the core PRS's my friends have look. No one (in their right mind) can hate on the astecic design of a PRS. They are beautiful IMO.

2) I actually prefer the way my (very well setup) SE plays, but again, that is likely more a function of the quality of my Luthier in Ann Arbor MI.

3) I also prefer my custom "Bare Knuckles" Rebel Yell pickup tone (and overtones) to any PRS pickup I have ever played.

I would also like to say that even the lowly PRS SE line guitars come stock from the factory with surprisingly good setup and feel. All PRS guitars can be made to be outstanding gig axes. I love the way they feel. Of course, ANY guitar you buy would be well served by a good setup from an accomplished luthier IMO.

FYI, I still love my strats for single coil work as I feel no humbucker can ever do what a good single coil in a strat can do; however, where I once played mostly Gibson Les Pauls for humbucker sounds, I never liked the feel and the weight. I do miss the sustain sometimes though. Just seems like those fixed bridge heavy as hell Les Pauls would ring forever with no effort what-so-ever.

• +1 On the Bare Knuckle Rebel Yells. Have them in my 2000 Singlecut. Freakin' deadly. Love them.

• +1 On the Bare Knuckle Rebel Yells. Have them in my 2000 Singlecut. Freakin' deadly. Love them.

Good to know my ears aren't alone ;).

How does the fixed bridge on your single cut do in sustain compared to a Les Paul? I know it isn't fair to compare the sustain of a guitar with a floating bridge (basically strings hanging on a bunch of springs) to a fixed bridge.

• Good to know my ears aren't alone ;).

How does the fixed bridge on your single cut do in sustain compared to a Les Paul? I know it isn't fair to compare the sustain of a guitar with a floating bridge (basically strings hanging on a bunch of springs) to a fixed bridge.

This thing rings like a bell! Haven't played a LP for ages but it would be hard to imagine it being a lot better.

• I have an insane addiction...

Awesome collection, congratulations! Lovely guitars dmatthews . Same addiction here but I am by far not that advanced... 3 pieces only now... 8)

You may just not like PRS pickups, and you wouldn't be alone lol.

Vice versa here. I like my PRS Dragon IIs a lot. Even put them in an Ibanez S-Classic model and they work super well there. And that Ibanez neck is super fine, just in the middle between PRSses Wide Fat (good one) and Wide Thin (too flimsy for me). #7 bridge pickup is a cool one as well...

• Awesome collection, congratulations! Lovely guitars dmatthews . Same addiction here but I am by far not that advanced... 3 pieces only now... 8)

Vice versa here. I like my PRS Dragon IIs a lot. Even put them in an Ibanez S-Classic model and they work super well there. And that Ibanez neck is super fine, just in the middle between PRSses Wide Fat (good one) and Wide Thin (too flimsy for me). #7 bridge pickup is a cool one as well...

Thank you very much sir! :)

• I owned a CE-24 for a couple years and as hard as I tried, I never felt comfortable with the neck on it for whatever reason. I will say that as far as build quality and overall finish, it was one of the nicer guitars I've ever played. Also had the best sounding coil split from a set of humbuckers that I've heard so far. Fantastic guitar... Just something about that neck.

totally understand man, this S2 I got was exceptional compared to the other ones on the shelve. Same with the core I now use. We all know by now I hope that every instrument even if it has the exact same specs, will have winners and losers that the individual will find to their preference.

• dude that’s awesome. Prs is a wonderful company. Good job

• can you get me a job where you work so I can afford these many beautiful guitars too 🥲 my favorites are the silver slay on the left and core 2nd on top right

• I actually find lighter guitars to sustain better in my experience.

• I play Suhr guitars for all my fender fixes

Funny because a Suhr Modern satin has been at the top of my want list for many years. Maybe I should look into a Classic S instead. I Just wish there was somewhere within a couple hundred miles that stocked them so I could sit down and play one.

• I actually find lighter guitars to sustain better in my experience.

No way! That is very interesting information. I guess I always assumed the reason my Les Paul sustained so well was that it was heavy and fixed bridge. Maybe there is more to it than I thought!

• More old guy stuff:

The year is 1990. My ES355TDSV has trouble staying in tune—a common problem with those tuners. I walk into Chuck Levin’s and spend a lot of time playing their stock. I even buy a special edition strat and take it home. We don't get along and I take it back. The salesman says that there’s a guy who used to work there who’s making really nice guitars and I would probably be happy with one. Of course, the guy is PRS. I’m not rich so he makes me one without the fancy top and birds, but it’s the one I still play.

• More old guy stuff:

The year is 1990. My ES355TDSV has trouble staying in tune—a common problem with those tuners. I walk into Chuck Levin’s and spend a lot of time playing their stock. I even buy a special edition strat and take it home. We don't get along and I take it back. The salesman says that there’s a guy who used to work there who’s making really nice guitars and I would probably be happy with one. Of course, the guy is PRS. I’m not rich so he makes me one without the fancy top and birds, but it’s the one I still play.

Classic!

• i’ve got a collection of about 20 various Fender, Gibson, Martin, Taylor, Epi phone, Gretchen etc. i really wasn’t looking for any new guitars but I walked into a guitar center and saw a used Zach Myers PRSSE and picked it up just for giggles and really enjoyed playing it so had to get it. It’s my first PRS and I’m quite surprised how good the quality of the SE models are. Beautiful flame maple blue top as well as matching headstock flame. It seem to have some of the niceties of the US versions. Watched a video about it from Phil McKnight and he did a deep dive and said the pick ups were already wired to be coil split so I think I will drop in a push pull pot to split pick ups and maybe put a treble bleed on it and I think this will be one useful axe.