First Gig with Kemper, should I change settings?

• Hi There,

Im gonna play my first gig on kemper in 3 days and i am wondering should i change some settings from how i play at home?
    I know that my rigs will sound a bit diffrent on a gig PA than on my studio monitors at home but i couldnt find any video about it on YT if i press something extra to sound better with the band. At rehearsals my guitar have a bit problems with cutting threw the band especially with 2nd guitarist who is playing on tube amp. I think bad quality of PA that we have on our rehearsal room might have something with that but on a gig there will be good PA.

I add that i have kemper with no poweramp so im plugging in directly to PA mixer with a mono signal from main output.

• Obviously use the -12db pad.

You are already doing the right thing by trying with a PA before but its very difficult to set up sounds separately and at home is significantly different.

• Less bass, less highs, more mids.

Low cut at 90hz, high cut at 6.5/7k (adjust the treble if needed).

Welcome to the long road of tweaking for home use and live use lol.

It works also if you do the adjustment from the mixer

If something is too complicated, then you need to learn it better

• it’s hard to do unless you’ve got the whole band playing through the PA and tweaking it at that time. Like the above poster said you’re going to need to cut the bass and the highs usually and get them mids punching through. One thing you can do to some degree before time is you and the other guitarist sit down and try to get your two guitars working together by having differing sounds. That may involve you each using different pick ups/guitars/amp types but especially playing different chord inversions at different places on the neck as well. Then you can figure out some General EQ issues between the two guitars before you go and stick them both in the mix. The real test at that time is to see how it functions in context with the rest of the band.

• My suggestion is to not change anything until you have to. If you adjust now and it works - great. But which change worked? Was it OK the way you had it at home? You really have no idea.

Just go prepared to make changes, but don't assume you have to.

As was said above, adjusting at the mixer works well. A decent sound engineer will apply the necessary EQ tweaks at the board. They're in the best position to make those choices since their job is to mix the entire band.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche