PAD -12Db...

• Hello Guys, For years I used the volume in the "output" menu to adjust the stereo Kemper signal to the FOH.

It was set on -15dB, just too be sure that it was not to hot for the mixing console...

Today I found the "PAD-12dB" button in the output menu.

What is the use for this button?:/

In my Kemper it was activated, so while my "volume" was on -15dB, the "PAD-12dB" shaved off another 12dB...

So the master output was on -27dB... 8|

Now I know the reason I had to adjust the input gain L&R on the USB interface...

I don't understand the use of this button...

Is it for people who's volume at home is on 0dB and activate the PAD when gigging?

Who makes me smarter?

• The Profiler’s output is often too hot for whatever it is being sent to.

For me, I never turn the -12db pad off.

Otherwise, in at least 4 situations I’m regularly in, the output would be too close to ‘off’ to be a useful adjustment.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• the -12 dB option attenuates the signal by 12 dB after it has passed the D/A converter. The volume level in the output menu attenuates the signal before the DA conversion. It is recommended to use the -12dB option first before attenuating the signal further in the digital domain.

• Thanks for the answers! ;)

I will activate the PAD -12dB, but how do I set up the volume to be sure that the signal is ok for the FOH?

-3dB? -8dB?

Ruefus, I'm very curious about the 4 situations... :)

• Three different FOH systems at locations I frequently play, and my home USB interface.

As for setting the output for FOH it will vary. Let the person running the board tell you what they need.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• the -12 dB option attenuates the signal by 12 dB after it has passed the D/A converter. The volume level in the output menu attenuates the signal before the DA conversion. It is recommended to use the -12dB option first before attenuating the signal further in the digital domain.

Running a test tone with a known signal level through, I found that the attenuation applied is either 6dB or 12dB depending on where in the chain your source your output. This suggests at least one of these is actually a -6dB digital trim before the amp stack and cab, so before the signal is back in the analogue domain. Unless there are two analogue pad circuits? Can you explain more about how this is actually operating? I have no issues with it, just interested/confused at some of the info posted. Thanks.

Ed / Audio Systems Engineer / Kemper Stage + Fender fan