Kemper repair dilemma.

• Hi guys, just your thoughts on a recent repair quote on my 10 year + old Vintage white unpowered Kemper.

The issues are with the front pcb board and needs replacement. The LED’s are slowly starting to fail and something funky has happened to the LCD display making it almost unreadable.

I’m located in Sydney, Australia and the local Kemper distributor/ repair is in Melbourne some 850 kms away.

I’ve received an estimate of $1000 AUD (@ 620 EU 670 US) + shipping both ways so there is that added expense as well, should need to budget $1200 AUD (@750 EU 800 USD)!

Would you pay that?

An alternative is to using a Sydney based recommended 3rd party tech which the distributor does have a list.

That would allow me to save on the shipping but I don’t know yet if Kemper would supply the part, I guess I’ll just have to ask and see.

Your thoughts?

New talent management advice to Laura Cox -

“Laura want to break the internet? let’s shoot another video of you covering the Nightrain solo in the blue singlet, but this time we’ll crank up the air conditioning”.

• Just like to add money is tight at the moment, divorced with three little kids to support 😄

“Laura want to break the internet? let’s shoot another video of you covering the Nightrain solo in the blue singlet, but this time we’ll crank up the air conditioning”.

• Yep this, Since the iOS app the thought of a stage into a powered Kab is appealing, haven’t gigged since Covid but even then it was for small change 😄.

• I could be all wrong here.

The difficulty of fixing things sight-unseen is the diagnosis. As in are the parts referenced actually failing, or are they merely a symptom of a different issue. Typically, LEDs don't slowly fail. They either work or they don't. That, coupled with the LCD seeming to start going bad at the same time makes me wonder if they're related. I have no idea how the Profiler's components interact, but the timing is awfully convenient.

A repaired unit may be fine....or it may have another potential issue-in-waiting. Kind of like a car....once it starts to nickel and dime you, it may be an initial 'ouch' in terms of cost, but ultimately cheaper to replace.

Given how close in cost a repair vs. replacement is getting, I'd be inclined to go the replacement route. Perhaps wait a bit and, if you can, lean on Rig Manager for a while. Even a wonky Profiler will be worth something to someone else. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• Its out of warranty just take it to a local repair guy/girl. You never know maybe something really simple. Make sure who works on it knows what he/she is doing. Then if its too much maybe buy a used Kemper Stage.

• Out of warranty or not, may I suggest you open a support ticket at the mothership before you shell out that money, or did you do this already?

No, not yet Ingolf but will reach out, might wait till after Xmas and see how my finances pan out.

• Starting a support ticket costs nothing - and they will troubleshoot for as long as it takes. I know this from personal experience.

No reason to not submit one.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• Starting a support ticket costs nothing - and they will troubleshoot for as long as it takes. I know this from personal experience.

No reason to not submit one.

Well interesting development, I received a email from the distributor here in OZ saying that Kemper had reached out to them and have asked for serial and purchase date, and may, I say just MAY be able to help, I couldn’t locate a receipt but could locate emails organising the purchase from September 2012, we will see😗.

And yes I did have to open a ticket a couple of years for an unrelated matter and the tech support was great, got it sorted 🤙🏻

• Hi guys, just your thoughts on a recent repair quote on my 10 year + old Vintage white unpowered Kemper.

The issues are with the front pcb board and needs replacement. The LED’s are slowly starting to fail and something funky has happened to the LCD display making it almost unreadable.

Your thoughts?

I think what a Great Service Kemper did about a similar issue on ''my 10 year + old Vintage white unpowered Kemper'' when it was just 8 Years old.

I've contacted them to Ask if possible to Buy some original Spare Parts and How to replace them by myself.

They answerd My unit was one of the first batch with this Known Issue and they would have replace them for free (I just need to pay the Shipment to Germany. and So it Was. Ubelivable service after 8 years!

LED replacement

• I think what a Great Service Kemper did about a similar issue on ''my 10 year + old Vintage white unpowered Kemper'' when it was just 8 Years old.

I've contacted them to Ask if possible to Buy some original Spare Parts and How to replace them by myself.

They answerd My unit was one of the first batch with this Known Issue and they would have replace them for free (I just need to pay the Shipment to Germany. and So it Was. Ubelivable service after 8 years!

LED replacement

Wow just got an answer this morning , Kemper will cover the repair😍, I’m truly gobsmacked that Kemper is offering a warranty repair on a 10 year old unit.

And a big thank you to the Kemper Guardian Angel who must of read this post, didn’t even have to open a ticket!

It’s just other box to tick to why the KPA is the best gear purchase ever.

• Just to wrap up this thread, I delayed sending the KPA in because I was having some time off work and I wanted the Kemper around.

But off it went early February for its repair and came back 3 weeks later, it was like receiving a brand new unit couldn’t be happier.

Just once again I want to acknowledge the wonderful guys at Kemper, my forum reading guardian angel and a shout out to Scott Vinnicombe the service manager at Innovative Music in Melbourne.