Axe 2 lover " fair and balanced" review of the KPA.

• I am one of the guys that have both, both are great just different .
    I guess because I don't use the kind of tones used it the review it all meant little to me.

He is intitled to his opinion, he like the Axe more for his music that is fine.
    To me the review did seem to have a lot of backhanded compliments.
    For me that takes away from the review from being an unbiased review.
    Oh who cares, it's just gear.
    Play what makes you happy. Tell your family you love them, hold the door for someone have fun.

• I thought he was going to knock it on the floor and wearily remark, "I suppose it sounds OK when you drop it - but I can get that sound better through tone matching and without any digital artifacts present at 10KHz" 8)

Suhr Classic Pro, Fender deluxe Strat & Baja Tele, Gibson ES335, Ibanez S Prestige 2170FW, Eastman AR371CE, Variax JTV > KPA > Patch bay inc. Strymons (Mobius, Timeline, Blue Sky), H9 Max, TC Triple Delay, & POD HD500 > Adam A7Xs

• I think you mean, backhanded jabs & stabs, not compliments.

I think some of what the guy was saying may have gotten lost in the language thing,
    Who knows, like I said there are more important thing to worry about.
    We like the Kemper as do many many people.
    That is good enough.

A backhanded compliment, also known as a left handed compliment or asteism, is an insult that is disguised as a compliment. Sometimes, a backhanded compliment may be inadvertent. However, the term usually connotes an intent to belittle or condescend. [1]
    A backhanded compliment may fool the listener, but the compliment remains "backhanded" because the speaker is being intentionally slighting and insulting. In some cultures, backhanded compliments are considered a genteel or polite way of expressing disdain.

• That was an interesting review ;)

- Some decent refining would have improved his profile. Did he try?

- Many have critizied us for not providing deep editing parameters for the amp. Still we have quite a number of it and this guy cannot tell the inpact to the sound of half of these parameters.

- Especially the Clarity parameter was fun. I could create that same circuit in an identical analog stomp box and he still had to state it sounds "digital". If I only had the time....

- He "proves that he can get closer with Match Eq". We listen to the Profiler and to the MatchEQed version. Now we compare it to .... shouldn't we compare both to the orginal amp sound? Did he forget about that? This is a B/C comparison. Again there is not enough A/B comparisons on the web.

- In the end I liked the Profilers sound better. More dynamics, natural high end. I believe the Axe could have done better, if he tweaked the amp model in the right way before matching. But since we didn't have the chance to listen to the original, that's a matter of taste.

• Well, I think it makes us mad because when he reviews his Axe FX he runs a nice signal out of a board and makes a good recording, yet somehow he can only do crappy camera sound for the Kemper. This clearly shows he has an "axe to grind" as we say here in the states. :D

• You are exactly right in pointing out the B/C comparison is what he's doing and the "A" part of the equation is not involved whatsoever... That's baffling to me as the "real" amp is never heard but he concludes that a real amp of a used Fractal product is the two best choices?

His overall suggestion at the end is certainly his to believe, but it's leaving out some very important considerations for many players.
    Some being: Versatility, logistical advantages to using a virtual rig, etc.. Suggesting a "real amp" might well be something one can consider, but much of the advantages to the virtual rig go right out the window... I believe his selected amp was an Orange Rockerverb.... if it's the 2 channel 50 watter, the price for that head is generally $2149.00 and you still need some sort of cab or sim to play it through... then a mic if you want to control what you reproduce... That's all a good deal more than a KPA. Want to add just one amp to your arsenal? Let's say a Morgan 20 combo??? $2099.00 and you still have just 2 amps, now need an amp switching solution... and you are still way less versatile than a single KPA loaded with the profiles that meet your needs..... ?(

KPA profiling gets the amp tone and feel right, and to my ears and hands, better than anything else, including the AXE2. :thumbup:

Edited once, last by 1fastdog ().

• Both are recorded thru the camera mic.

There's one on his channel where he goes though a bunch of amp models on the Axe and an actual amp where he's not using the camera mic and the audio is actually good.

This does bring up something though. Why has crappy Youtube audio become the defacto standard for examples of audio. Sure, you've got a $99 plug in, though up a demo on Youtube, but when you're selling a $1850 piece of audio equipment it deserves better. I'd love it if Kemper actually put some professionally recorded high quality wav files up. I know it would have made my decision process easier.

• He does have a point about something MAYBE. He feels that the KPA cuts off at the 125hz area or so, per his video, and states that using analyzer confirmed his suspicions. Putting the studio EQ post amp. And a bump at 125 hz alittle does help with warmth and thickness in some of the profiles, at least through my VHT power amp and cab, not sure how this would translate to direct recording, so don't take my word as gospel. Try it though, I have a 3 db bump on some of the high gain patches ( Engls, diEzels, fortins) and it seemed to add a nice extra kick and thickness to the tone.