Kemper Output Levels help

• Hey all, brand new to Kemper, just picked one up second hand.

Figuring things out slowly but one thing I’m having issues with the output level from the main outs.

I have my Kemper wired into my studio and into my patch bay via the main outs. When patched in to an input on my audio interface, I’m not getting a ton of level from the Kemper. I have confirmed the output type Main out Mono (which I want) and everything IS getting signal as it should, but I have to crank the main volume to get in to a somewhat acceptable recording level. I DO NOT have the -12 engaged and I upped the main volume outs. Am I missing something?

I did notice some profiles are inherently louder than others, but I’m pretty much maxing out at like -14 on my meters in Protools, which seems pretty conservative.

Thoughts?

p.s also any recommendations on some nice clear high gain profiles without the fizz???

Thanks!

• Raise the gain knobs on your interface, or raise the Rig Volume as needed for each profile. Not all profiles have equal volume at default. Then look into the Clean Sens and Dist Sens settings -- see the Input Section video (and all the others).

https://www.kemper-amps.com/vi…orials#a-videos-tutorials

Also get versed on the manual because it will answer many other questions.

https://www.kemper-amps.com/downloads/5/User-Manuals

Welcome to the Party!

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• If you haven't done it yet download Rig Manager, in the window on the left in Rig Manager are folders provided by Kemper from several venders, go through and try these out as there are a few good higher gain profiles mixed in, then an overwhelming number to dig through on Rig Exchange. As stated above, take time with the manual and play around with settings in the Kemper to learn how they affect the profiles sound, you'll thank yourself later.

• Thanks guys.

what’s the difference between raising the rig volume vs the master volume? I have to crank the master volume to get a decent recording level.

• I don't think maxing the main out going into a line input is a bad thing at all, that's where my Stage currently lives. I aim to print about -14 to possibly -10.

If it sounds fine it probably is.

Also, not sure if there's much difference from a level standpoint if you turn rig or master volume up to get louder to your DAW. I look at the master as the first one I grab for, use the rig volumes to balance rigs against each other.

Best...H

• Thanks guys.

what’s the difference between raising the rig volume vs the master volume? I have to crank the master volume to get a decent recording level.

Nothing because the tone won't change, but Rig Volume is specific to the Rig/Profile where Master Volume raises volumes across all profiles.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Copy I’m getting solid levels now playing with the rig and master volumes.

So far I’m really in love with the Kemper!

Only other thing I noticed, as my unit was second hand, is that the front input jack isn't very firm when plugging and unplugging a cable. Anyone ever have any issues with the front input jack wearing out?