Advice on a best rig for The Offspring - Can't Repeat and advice on how to smoothly play solo

• Hey Everyone!

I was looking for a tone of The Offspring - Can't Repeat song and after some research I found a VHT GP3 - CRUNCH by Lune on this Rig Exchange (Thanks!).

(also, I would be grateful for any other advice on rigs for The Offspring songs).

This is fine for now, but I am struggling with another problem and I googled everywhere on how to smoothly play this song solo and I cannot find the answer to it.

By smoothly I mean that it should sound more like a nice flow and not like a distinctive individual notes being picked.

So, I was trying to use the following tabs to play it

a) on this video from 19 seconds (14-12-12, etc...)

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

b) this tab which is shifted to different strings and is using slides (10-8-8,... 9-9\7-7/9) - https://www.guitaretab.com/o/offspring/59459.html

and what I am getting is an individual strokes on notes which is much differ from how this song is being played in the original recording and on some of the covers.

Here is the original (from 18 seconds) -

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Here is the cover ((from 18 seconds, check the top guitar on this video) -

What am I missing?

It this the speed at which fingers and pick is working? Is there some invisible slides? Is there some guitar effect which is helping with more smooth play of this?

Thanks!

Ian

• Your playing sounds fine to me. Some subtle finger-vibrato never hurts. Rolling off the tone control on your guitar might help to take some of the edge off your playing, if such edges exist. Aside from that, maybe look into using the profiler's amp and eq settings. I don't know of any specific Offspring-sounding profiles, sorry. Best of luck!

Your playing sounds fine to me

Ugh, I just realized how confusing the original post was.

That was not me, that was someone's cover :)

I cannot yet play like that.

Thanks for the tips.

Do you have any other general advice on how to play smoothly like that guy?

• tha guy in Offspring is playing sliding octaves in the lead

Exactly this. This will bring you close.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• whippinpost91850, musicmad thanks a lot!

Would you be able to recommend some video lessons to learn this technique?

So far I found this on Justin Guitar - Lick #11: Rock Sliding Octaves (Guitar Lesson LK-011) How to play

External Content www.youtube.com

• whippinpost91850, musicmad thanks a lot!

Would you be able to recommend some video lessons to learn this technique?

So far I found this on Justin Guitar - Lick #11: Rock Sliding Octaves (Guitar Lesson LK-011) How to play

The tabs in the first video are not showing what he is playing in the video. Noodle is just using the second and fourth string for the melody in the video. Have a look at this, this looks more accurate: https://www.songsterr.com/a/ws…ng-cant-repeat-tab-s11436

You can just put your index finger on the second string, the ring finger on the fourth string (always 2 frets higher to play the octave) and tadaaaa: punk rock solos <3

Edit: Very short explanation here:

• Wow! Just wow! Thanks a lot!

(How come I had never encountered octave rock sliding or punk rock octave riffs in the tons of other youtube videos, this is just beyond my understanding what Youtube algorithms were feeding me :) )

• Wow! Just wow! Thanks a lot!

(How come I had never encountered octave rock sliding or punk rock octave riffs in the tons of other youtube videos, this is just beyond my understanding what Youtube algorithms were feeding me :) )

yeah, youtube-algorithms don't want you to leave your bubble... and just for fun: If you are too lazy using a second finger you could use the octaver stomp in the profiler of course ;)

• Amp wise, I know they use (or at least recently they were both using) Axe FX live...

Mesa's seemed to be the order of the day pre axefx, and I'm pretty sure that they blended the Dual Rectifiers with Mark IV for the majority of their tones on earlier albums.

I've also read that Marshall DSL's and Vox AC30's were used more recently, atleast by Dexter Holland anyway.

Either a thick but slightly mid boosted Mesa tone of some sort will get you close.

I found the "Mesa Boogie Mark IV Ch3 Lead" by Ivan Sandoval and a classic overdrive (Green Screen) clean boost (gain - 0, tone - 5, volume - 0, mix - 100%) in front to help tighten the low end is pretty close to the Ixnay On The Hombre guitar tones.

• It's a bit rushed, but hopefully this may help you with the playing of that particular passage too.

Disclaimer: I don't know if I'm playing it on the exact same strings and frets as Noodles is, but the notes are correct regardless.

• Thanks for sharing your finds and experience.

This is what I found before, hope it would also be helpful

https://www.harmonycentral.com…t-amps-did-offspring-use/

https://rockguitaruniverse.com…olland-gear-effects-tone/

https://www.ultimate-guitar.co…The_Kids_Aren%27t_Alright

• It's a bit rushed, but hopefully this may help you with the playing of that particular passage too.

Disclaimer: I don't know if I'm playing it on the exact same strings and frets as Noodles is, but the notes are correct regardless.

My man! :)

https://media.tenor.com/qkY03OWbhWAAAAAC/my-man-denzel.gif

Thank you so much!

I have a couple more questions, hope you don't mind sharing more info.

Do you lift you left hand fingers while moving on the fret?

Is the secret sauce it a speed and timing when to exactly move left hand and hit strings?

Do you mute the E string with the index finger?

Do you strum across all strings or just EADG or ADG?

• I found the "Mesa Boogie Mark IV Ch3 Lead" by Ivan Sandoval and a classic overdrive (Green Screen) clean boost (gain - 0, tone - 5, volume - 0, mix - 100%) in front to help tighten the low end is pretty close to the Ixnay On The Hombre guitar tones.

Thanks, found it!

Do you mean

Distortion->Green Scream-> DIST Green Boost

or

Distortion->Green Scream->Boost?

Also, there is no 'gain' in effects settings, but there is 'Drive'. Did you mean this?

• Distortion->Green Scream->Boost (or crunch) then Drive - 0.0, Tone - 5.0, Volume - 0.0, Mix - 100%

If you also eq the amp with Gain - 5.0, Bass - 0.0, Mid - 0.0 Treble - +3.7, Prescence - +1.7, you'll get a really close "Smash" album sound.

• Yeah, as 'whippinpost91850' said, I mute the E and D strings.

Yes, I mute the E with my index finger, but I also mute the D with it too.

I kind of hit the 5th, 4th and 3rd strings, but my pinky is muting the B and E as well, just to keep out any unwanted noises.

Don't lift up off the strings, just slide to the next note, it takes time to build your speed up, but it won't take forever.

• Yeah, that last link, for Ultimate Guitar, is the gear I'm familiar with them using.

I play that song (Kids Aren't Alright) in my punk covers band, so I know it pretty well. Being a fan of the band, I worked hard to play it as close to the recorded version as possible.

I think the VHT amps (Founder Steve Fryette sold them to AXL Instruments and now builds Fryette Amps) came in a little later than those albums. That's interesting to know too, thanks for that dude [...goes off to find a decent VHT profile...]

Yeah, that last link, for Ultimate Guitar, is the gear I'm familiar with them using.

I play that song (Kids Aren't Alright) in my punk covers band, so I know it pretty well. Being a fan of the band, I worked hard to play it as close to the recorded version as possible.

Ah, great to know! What's the name of the band? Where do you play live?

What do you say about this tutorial by Marty?

That's interesting to know too, thanks for that dude [...goes off to find a decent VHT profile...]

I mentioned this in my initial post "VHT GP3 - CRUNCH by Lune". Let me know when you fine tune this one or some others to match the sound, cause you surely have a tons of experience and I am glad that I virtually encountered you.

• We're called Guttersnipe, we're UK based and play around the Shropshire/Midlands area. We mainly do the more older/original wave of punk - The Clash, Sex Pistols, Ramones, Sham 69 etc... but we throw The Kids... Basket Case by Green Day and Die For The Government by Anti Flag in from the slightly more recent times every now and again.

Do you play in a band?

It's not a bad tutorial. All it's missing is the solo, but it's got all the bases covered.

I play the Bb for the verse and chorus on the A and D strings (1st and 3rd frets) rather than up on the 6th and 8th of the E and A strings, and then I also play the Bb single note on the A string in the pre verse run too, but yeah, it's got all the stuff there to learn along with, so use it for sure.

I checked out the VHT rig you mentioned, but personally, it's not for me unfortunately. I don't know if it's the mic or its position on the cab in the profile. It's just a lot different to the sounds of The Offspring. Might work better with a different IR maybe, something with V30's maybe. Those VHT cabs on that profile normally came with Eminence speakers in, so they're voiced a little differently. They may sound great in the room though.

Yeah, nice to meet you virtually on here too.