IK Multimedia Tone x, anyone tried it yet.

• I tried the freeby version of Tonex. Of the 20 amps, only found 1 amp I think I'd use, then dialled in a better equivalent on my Kemper in about 1 minute.

QC was hailed as a game changer, look what happened there.

Tonex is the new "game changer". It beats pedals like the iridium I would think, but it's limitations mean it's nowhere near a game changer for pro use imo.

6 months time a new "game changer" will be out

Kemper will keep doing it's thing.

• QC was hailed as a game changer, look what happened there.

This is off-topic, but still relevant to this discussion. Saying "what happened there" implies that the QC is a failure of some sort. It isn't. Not even close.

A friend let me borrow a QC for this week. I'm only a few hours into it, but I have learned a few things. I'm not racing to put my Profiler up for sale - but I've also had my Profiler for 4+ years whereas the QC I'd be pressed to say I've played it for 5 hours. I'm well aware of how to get the Profiler to do what I want.

I'm still wrapping my head around how Neural does things vs Kemper. The captures (Profiles to us) are *very* good - don't let anyone tell you different. In some ways, they have a more amp-like feel than a Profile....but that also doesn't tell the entire story. Nor does that mean they're 'better'.

All they are is different.

The QC hardware and interface are excellent. It is *tiny* compared to any of the Profilers. I have no doubt that Neural will continue to improve the functionality and I'd guess the same thing was said about the Profiler back in 2011. Time will tell.....but its sure fun having all these nice toys to play with.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• This is off-topic, but still relevant to this discussion. Saying "what happened there" implies that the QC is a failure of some sort. It isn't. Not even close.

Reading elsewhere it's clear to me QC over promised and under delivered.

Kemper under promised and has overdelivered - compare the constant free updates since inception.

I just think this "game changer" expression is flogged to death by the YT shills. YMMV

• Reading elsewhere it's clear to me QC over promised and under delivered.

Kemper under promised and has overdelivered - compare the constant free updates since inception.

I just think this "game changer" expression is flogged to death by the YT shills. YMMV

I ignored the 'promises' - delivered on or not. If someone spent two-grand on a promise, that's their problem. It's their first hardware product, ever.

It happens. It's not like Neural DSP promised and then said "Oh.....we're never doing that." It's taking longer than anyone thought. Like.....uhm.....RIg Manager. We got a sneak peak of a working application at NAMM....and then it was a year before anyone saw it for real.

Of course there will be problems. Remember the release of the Stage? Kemper had all kinds of quality-control issues and pissed a fair number of people off.

Let's not pretend Kemper has never had a misfire.

Edited once, last by Ruefus ().

• lol, ok. But neither of these boxes are a game changer.

Edited 2 times, last by paddyc ().

• The Tonex pedal intrigues me, but not as a kpa replacement. (I'm convinced that the differences between a profile or captures are largely minor, especially once you tweak, and I use commercial ones I chose because I love them, irrespective of accuracy to original anyway)

However, if I got a Tonex, I'd use it in the kpa effect loop. But not because I think I'd get better amp and cab sounds. Rather for organization. On my KPA, I've long created lots of Rigs and sometimes whole performances for specific songs (thanks to spillover between Rigs) especially the bpm and wet effects dialed in specifically; they usually are built on the same profiles of a particular amp that's my favorite du jour; which from time to time I change my mind about. I'm often fickle in what profiles I want to use, especially if I'm playing different guitars on different days. To be able to load up a few gain-staged presets on a unit like the Tonex, and then be able to use them in any of the Rigs and performances I set up for specific songs would be great. Tweak those captures last minute just once, rather than go to a dozen Rigs and make the same adjustments over and over. This isn't a knock on the KPA, just the way multi effect units in general operate. I returned the QC because of how much I hated having to constantly adjust volumes (among a number of other things that the KPA is better at)

• It isn't a game changer for me, and the fact that it has taken several companies 11 years to catch up to Kemper speaks volumes. That said, the really interesting part of this is the price point. It is going to open the door for a lot of budget minded musicians and it is an entire demographic that has been ignored until now. I think, in my opinion, that Kemper missed a small opportunity to expand. As for me? No plans to get rid of my rig anytime soon.

• I see. Does everything that even potentially competes with the Profiler need to be a game changer?

Sorry you are struggling with this.

When the QC was released it was hailed as a "game changer" by the Youtube shills.

The Tonex is now the new "gamechanger" according to the shills on youtube.

These offer alternative form and perhaps differences in functionality, but they do not change the game.

The only gamechanger was actually the Kemper, as nothing like it existed before it's release.

• Sorry you are struggling with this.

When the QC was released it was hailed as a "game changer" by the Youtube shills.

The Tonex is now the new "gamechanger" according to the shills on youtube.

These offer alternative form and perhaps differences in functionality, but they do not change the game.

The only gamechanger was actually the Kemper, as nothing like it existed before it's release.

I'm not struggling with anything. I don't care what is or isn't a 'game changer'. Especially when the people saying these things get paid by the number of views or units sold. It's marketing, and its pretty transparent.

What I'm struggling with is why anyone cares.

The reality is that Fractal existed in one form or another for 5 or 6 years before the Profiler. You can argue either side of that particular fence if you like. As far as game-changers go.....products like the AxSys in 1996, the FlexTones that followed and the Pods that followed created digital amps. Tom Scholz' Rockman was analog - but inarguably the first successful modeler and goes back to 1982. Most of Def Leppard's Hysteria album was recorded with one.

All that....and Kemper, as good as it still is came along in 2011 and remains unique in digital amps.

All this argument is about is what flavor is better. In other words - it's all preference. Just like music.

Edited once, last by Ruefus ().

• Equally I don't care whether you care or not. My original post wasn't personally directed to you or at you . Tonex is being marketed by shills on YT as a game changer. I tried it and was disappointed. That was my point. Take it or leave it.

If you think Tonex or QC works for you then happy days.

Perhaps we should leave it there.

• Equally I don't care whether you care or not. My original post wasn't personally directed to you or at you . Tonex is being marketed by shills on YT as a game changer. I tried it and was disappointed. That was my point. Take it or leave it.

If you think Tonex or QC works for you then happy days.

Perhaps we should leave it there.

All I asked originally was why not caring about the term ‘game changer’ was a problem.

You’ve answered that.

• I predict in less than a couple of years we will see another "game changer"and paid youtubers will praise it and say it's a game changer and better than anyting else. Like they always do. Me: who cares? I'd rather play and make music instead. I will not buy another game changer. I will play my kemper until it dies. Or maybe I will die before the kemper. ^^

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

• I don't need, want or expect a game changer. The performance of the KPA meets all of my needs. This is especially true since I paired it with the Remote. I should have done that sooner. From an amp tone and effects POV, I don't need any further improvements. IMO, the results are too good to be significantly be improved upon, so there is no game changer possible. There will likely be more units that are almost or equally as good. I am speaking from a functional perspective. Yes, something smaller, lighter, cheaper(but not functionally better) could come along, but I already have what I need and the size of the Kemper is not a motivating factor for me.

• the next "game changer" will be an all in one by IK. Think about it, they already have 3-button mod, delay, and reverb, and distortion pedals with presets that do the fancy stuff for $329 a piece. The original tonex pedal will remain popular, as it's the most logical product for people that want to use a traditional pedal board and have a small pedal dedicated to their amp/cabs. Kemper and QC are overkill in price and size for this purpose and are suited to those that want to go all-in-one.

• the next "game changer" will be an all in one by IK. Think about it, they already have 3-button mod, delay, and reverb, and distortion pedals with presets that do the fancy stuff for $329 a piece. The original tonex pedal will remain popular, as it's the most logical product for people that want to use a traditional pedal board and have a small pedal dedicated to their amp/cabs. Kemper and QC are overkill in price and size for this purpose and are suited to those that want to go all-in-one.

We could quibble about the meaning of 'game changer', but there is nothing to be gained from that discussion IMO. What you describe regarding IK is nothing significant from my perspective, it is simply a different gear manifestation and won't result in any sound improvement over what I already have with the Kemper.