XLR vs Spdif

• Hello, i got my kemper stage a couple of moths ago and I love it.

I was using to record at home with the Kemper a mixer from Yamaha, the MG10XU to garageband using the XLR main output.

I was not happy with the sound, it sounded cheap and thin and very compressed.

I barrow the mixer that we use at our practice studio a Zoom Live Track L12, and huge diference. Much better.

Long story short I have to get a new interface !!!

Is the Spdif really better than Kemper Main XLR ??

Is the XLR to XLR more than ok ?

Any interface suggestion ?

I would like to get an interface the gets a close as possible the sound of the kemper.

My guitar chain is:

GB Lespaul - Kemper Stage - MG10XU ( Soon to be exchanged ) - Yamaha HS7 Audio Monitors

Thanks

• The sound going out of the XLR and 1/4" mains is exactly the same as the sound going to SPDIF. Unless you have a terrible interface whose preamps color the sound a lot, you won't perceive a difference. Nowadays, even cheap interfaces are quite good. Unless you need the extra features (less latency, more inputs, need for great preamps or high quality headphone output, etc), you'd probably be fine with a low end interface. If a cheap mixer is affecting your sound quality though, keep it out of your recording chain.

• I would be surprised if the Yamaha is killing the sound as badly as you think. Are you using XLR to XLR cables? If so you are almost certainly engaging the yamaha”s mic preamp. The signal from the Kemper is often too hot for cheaper mic preamps to handle. Before you go and buy a new interface first try connecting using regular 1/4” guitar cables. Does this solve the problem? If so keep using these or get some XLR to TRS cables to ensure you bypass the Yamaha mic pre. If this doesn’t solve it then you probably do need a new interface. I like SPDIF for convenience but in terms of sound quality you would need perfect golden ears to hear any difference so treat it as a nice to have rather than need to have.

• The sound going out of the XLR and 1/4" mains is exactly the same as the sound going to SPDIF. Unless you have a terrible interface whose preamps color the sound a lot, you won't perceive a difference. Nowadays, even cheap interfaces are quite good. Unless you need the extra features (less latency, more inputs, need for great preamps or high quality headphone output, etc), you'd probably be fine with a low end interface. If a cheap mixer is affecting your sound quality though, keep it out of your recording chain.

Or you know, an expensive interface that colors the sound a lot in just the right way :)

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• I just recently found out you can even use the Kemper headphone out (using a Y cable) into your interface and get the same sound and quality of the main outs.

BTW, I use TS connection from main outs to interface with no problems. I'm using a Motu M4 (no SPDIF) and reamping with it.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.