Turn Your Key

• As usual, any tips on the mix would be gratefully received, be as critical as you like (it's the only way I'll learn)

it feels a bit harsh and toppy to me.

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• As usual, any tips on the mix would be gratefully received, be as critical as you like (it's the only way I'll learn)

it feels a bit harsh and toppy to me.

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

spottydog10 This a great upbeat song i really enjoyed it, i even loved the mix.

I totally agree with waraba though, there are quire a few notes that are out of key, if you re-visit these then it will be perfect.

• Thanks waraba and Franjoe.

There is intentional dissonant guitar at the intro, before the first verse and outro and likewise at the end of the guitar line before the2nd chorus.

I obviously haven't got that across the way I intended.

I'll play it to a couplie of people and see if they think the same.

Useful to know! Cheers

• It’s primarily the vocal that stands out as harsh to me, I’m guessing pushing that to get it clear and audible. If you softened the piano and cymbals you could probably reduce the vocal treble push and it would feel more relaxed and less harsh.

With regards the dissonant riff, it doesn’t bother me, many tunes utilize dissonance as an ear catcher (Steam’s Hey Hey Goodbye for example), and I get you want to introduce some less saccharine elements to bring edge however I feel it needs to be leaned into more in that case. The riff lacks intentionality right now against that intro backdrop, either change the riff or the background.

Otherwise great song, really enjoyed it.

• My 2 cents (that really ain't worth squat) is to remove the dissonant guitar in the intro and remove the guitar lead at 2:10 and maybe do one with a few notes at higher octaves as sort of an embellishment. Then maybe EQ out some mids on the single vocal parts to warm it up or try a tube preamp plugin or some kind of tape saturation plugin.

Other than that , sounds 95% radio-ready to me. 8)

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Thanks chaps all useful stuff.

The piano is a sod in this track and been the most problematic, I take it out and everything is so much clearer and I don't have to push frequencies in the other tracks so hard.

Then again, it needs the piano...I guess pro mixers know how to do this stuff.
    The dissonant riff I think works but maybe needs some or other treatment. I don't it to be too prominent or it will sound crow-barred in.

I'll take another crack at it during the week.

Ta!

• Thanks BT, just seen your post.

I need to have something slightly edgy in it as it's a cutesy song, I've written for a few females in me time but if I sing them they don't necessarily
    translate all that well.