Powerhead takes more than 1 minute to power up?

• Hmm, let's see, my computer takes about 5 sec to start up, maybe 15 for the phone and ipad. There are over 100 hardware units(mic pres, eq's, comp's, etc.) in my studio and most of them are tube units and none of them takes more than 2 seconds to start up. Yes tubes take time to warm up to their best working status, but we are talking about the BOOT UP Time of a guitar amp/cab simulator here, not how long does it take to go into its optimal working status, are we? And last time I checked, there isn't any tubes in the Profile Head?

You have a very fast computer...even with an SSD mine takes at least 30 seconds for windows 10. Same for your phone, from scratch I've not seen an iphone boot up in 15 seconds but hey lets not nick pick. It was purely an analogy that its closer to a computer than a solid state amp.

The tube amp comparison was purely as a benchmark, there are no tubes in the Kemper...but you of course know this.

Its not about optimal, if you use a tube amp before its warmed up, you will reduce the life of the tubes, that's why they have a standby switch ( as well as some surge protection), so its not instant before you should start playing it.

Not sure what your point here is, it takes about a minute to strap my guitar on and plug my wireless/lead in, so Im not standing around scratching my head waiting...hardly a deal breaker or shocking.

• ...but we are talking about the BOOT UP Time of a guitar amp/cab simulator here, not how long does it take to get into its optimal working status, are we? And last time I checked, there aren't any tubes in the Profile Head?

I thing we are. ;) I turn my TV on, and it comes on in a second, but then I have to wait 3 minutes for Roku to start to be able to use the TV for it's intended use.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Well, if you guys are happy with how it is, good for you. But to me personally, I was really shocked when I first turned it on because I've never had any piece of gear that slow just to boot up. I only use it in the recording studio while the clients are paying on a minuite basis so it is a problem for ME.

BTW, taking 1 minute and 15 seconds to just boot up is not the same thing as taking 1 sec to boot up then wait 1 minute and 14 sec to be able to use it. You can setup your internal chain and routing, browse/edit your rig or any kind of preparation work in the rig manager during that 1 minute 14 sec waiting time in the latter case while you can't do anything other than waiting in the first case.

• I don't disagree that it takes longer to boot than I'd like. It is what it is and undoubtedly a function of unchanged hardware since 2011.

Kemper's commitment to existing owners and fighting obsolescence/devaluation of older units has its drawbacks.

This isn't me being sarcastic, it's a genuine set of questions.

If you're running a studio, and you know clients are coming, wouldn't you have your gear fired up and ready before they even load in, or near enough? That's been my experience when recording.

If you're a studio musician (and this is what I do at rehearsals/gigs) - simply prioritize powering and starting the KPA. By the time I'm done with all the other nonsense of preparing to play, my KPA has been ready to go for quite some time.

As I said, I'm not trying to be a jerk. I agree that the Head/Rack take longer than I'd prefer. Yet knowing this, I just sequence my setup to make it a complete non-issue.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• Well, if you guys are happy with how it is, good for you. But to me personally, I was really shocked when I first turned it on because I've never had any piece of gear that slow just to boot up. I only use it in the recording studio while the clients are paying on a minuite basis so it is a problem for ME.

BTW, taking 1 minute and 15 seconds to just boot up is not the same thing as taking 1 sec to boot up then wait 1 minute and 14 sec to be able to use it. You can setup your internal chain and routing, browse/edit your rig or any kind of preparation work in the rig manager during that 1 minute 14 sec waiting time in the latter case while you can't do anything other than waiting in the first case.

We all want it faster but its a bit OTT to say its that impactful.

Of course people pay on a per minute basis but if you are really saying that impacts session, that is plainly ridiculous because:

1) Nothing stops you powering it on 1 minute before the session

2) It takes more than 1 minute for someone to settle down to get ready to play anything/cueing up any tracks, let alone booting up protools/DAW etc. My PC and DAW taking about the same time

3) A session starts and finishes to the second?

So, yes its not as good as it could be, but shocking? Hmm...

• Way faster than my tube amps are ready so it's not a bother. Plan ahead. Some people especially in today's ticktock Instagram world want everything NOW. Some good things in life will not provide the instant satisfaction you demand and require patience. I don't think the boot time is excessive, When walk up, flip it on, grab my guitar, plug in the wireless, I may only be waiting a few seconds. If you have a floor controller , it boots after the Head so that's another few seconds. No big deal. I'd rather have a unit that takes 4 minutes to warm up than one that turns on instantly that doesn't sound as good. The Kemper is just another tube amp, but better. I've never thought about writing a letter to Tung-Sol complaining their tubes take too long to warm up, It's the way of operation.

• External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Cheers !

The adjective for metal is metallic. But not so for iron ... which is ironic.

• My powered toaster takes a hair over a minute to boot up. I usually tune while it's loading. Regardless... In my opinion it's a small price to pay for how awesome the next 45 minutes to an hour are going to be actually using it!

• External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Cheers !o

that's funny, my band just put up a cover of that song a few days ago. I'm using my new kemper in a few days with the band, can't wait to give it a shot. Sorry to interupt...Rockhouse doing I Want It All

It's one of my favorite Queen songs...

I'm going to just turn it on as soon as I get plugged in and the minute that it takes will be meaningless. But the look when all the LED lights and buttons come on will be awesome LOL.

• My powered toaster takes a hair over a minute to boot up. I usually tune while it's loading. Regardless... In my opinion it's a small price to pay for how awesome the next 45 minutes to an hour are going to be actually using it!

I can't tune. I use the Kemper for that. I have a sip of beer instead to kill the excruciating 15 seconds more it takes to boot.

• that's funny, my band just put up a cover of that song a few days ago. I'm using my new kemper in a few days with the band, can't wait to give it a shot. Sorry to interupt...Rockhouse doing I Want It All

I'm going to just turn it on as soon as I get plugged in and the minute that it takes will be meaningless. But the look when all the LED lights and buttons come on will be awesome LOL.

nice playing and tone mate. The whole band sound great 👍

only problem is, you smile too much. Rock stars are supposed to be mean and moody 🤣🤘🤘🤘🤘🤘

• that's funny, my band just put up a cover of that song a few days ago. I'm using my new kemper in a few days with the band, can't wait to give it a shot. Sorry to interupt...Rockhouse doing I Want It All

Great cover, you guys rocks 8)

If something is too complicated, then you need to learn it better

My favorite band !!!! <3<3:thumbup:

Beautifull playing, would like to do the same ! ;)

This song is so great, i understand smile on your face :D

Well, if you guys are happy with how it is, good for you. But to me personally, I was really shocked when I first turned it on because I've never had any piece of gear that slow just to boot up.

I've got a stage so it's less slow to boot up.... But all modelers i have/had need/ed time to boot up.

The Kemper is the main device, so you turn it on first, it leaves time to switch on computers, speakers, etc...All is ready at the same time ! :thumbup:;)

• Yes, you can smile while playing rock n roll as long as you do some tongue technique like Gene. :P

Back on topic: I think the consensus is that the start up time is not an issue unless a record producer gives you 30 seconds to impress him. Then you are shiite outta luck!

This thread has totally gone to tongue and cheek. And my Profiler started way before I finished this comment. :)

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Thank you for the kind words. I'm actually the bass player and don't ever smile. LOL. That was our first gig actually...and aside from the singer, none of us had gigged in 6-8 years. So we were not sure what exactly to do up there!

The guitar player is a dedicated Fractal guy, so I bought an FM3 myself...which led me directly to Kemper and now I have two of them. Saturday will be my first live show with a kemper. As soon as I get plugged in, I'm turning that chicken knob and seeing if I can get all my other stuff plugged in and setup by the time the kemper is ready...like a built-in setup timer. I bet I can do it.