Kemper profiler as effect supplier

• Hello,

short prehistory.

I am a hobby musician and play for myself alone - unfortunately I can't find a way to join a band ... that's a horror ... anyway

I create (or try create) my own songs and record them. The Kemper is of course really great. Finally, I noticed that actually only use amp profiles of the Mesa Boogie Mark series ... I find the sound just great. I already had an Engl but I did not like it at all. That's why I got myself a Mesa Boogie Mark V:35 ... and I am completely thrilled. I hardly use the Kemper anymore but I want to keep it.

Now I've read about musicians who use the Fractal FX III MK only as an effect supplier ... and now my question can I do that with the Kemper also ... . is there any experience and how should I connect it ... or does that make no sense ?

Thanks in advance

Cheers,

Chris

• I know what you mean about Mesa Mark Series amps. My favourite amps ever. My history is the exact opposite of yours. I had (and still have) a Mesa Studio.22, Dual Rectifier, Triaxis/2:ninety and Mark V:25. My V:25 is just the little brother of your V:35. It is a fantastic amp . You made a good choice in my opinion.

Then I got a Kemper. Now all my amps are sitting gathering dust as I never use any of them. I like the variety and have discovered I like lots of other amps too. However, when I want a classic Boogie sound I just call up a profile an I’m done.

To answer your question, yes it can be done. Like the Axe FX, the Kemper is a very expensive unit to use for just effects and I definitely wouldn’t spend the money buying one for just FX. However, as you already have a Kemper anyway you could use it this way of you want.

There are at least 3 different ways you could cable it depending on what you want to achieve.

1 - if you want all the effects to be like pedals in front on the amp just plug into the front input on the Kemper then send the Kemper Main Out or Monitor Out to the input on the Mesa. Turn off the Amp and Cab sections in the Kemper. Make sure to set the Kemper output source to Master Mono. You will have up to 8 fx in front of the amp.

2 - if you want all the FX you be after the Mesa preamp plug the FX send on the Mesa into the alternative input of the Kemper and send the main out back the the FX return on the Mesa. Other settings as above. This will give you up to 8 fx all after the Mesa’s gain stages.

3 - the most versatile option is to plug the guitar into the Kemper. Place a Loop effect in one of the Stomp or Effect slots on the Kemper. This can vary from Rig to Rig depending on the effects you want to use. Take a cable from the Direct Out/Send of the Kemper to the Front input on the Mesa. Next connect the FXLoop out on the Mesa to the Return input on the Kemper. Finally send the Main out pf the Kemper to the FX return of the Mesa. This will allow you to place up to 7 effects in front of the amp, after the amp or any combination before and after (3/4, 6/1 etc). The only downside is that you use the use of one effect in the Kemper as it is being use to create the loop

these will all work but are more hassle and (to my ears) less good than just profiling you Mesa and playing through the Kemper. To me that is the best of both worlds and the real beauty of the Kemper.

• If you live in the US, you can find potential local band members thru BandMix.com and it's free unless you want to post your demo tracks for others to hear.

I'm sure there are similar sites for Canada, UK, etc.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.