Kemper Stage Output Volume Problem

• The output volume is different after each restart. Sometimes it is normal and sometimes it is lower by an estimated -6 dB. This is true for both Main and Monitor outputs.

I use the Mission Eng volume pedal. EP1 set to global.

Does anyone else have a similar problem?

• Disconnect the pedal including its cable to see if that fixes the issue.

Also check, if the issue is Rig or Mode specific. Perhaps Volume Pedal Range is set below zero in some Rigs and above zero in others. Values above zero transform the pedal into a booster pedal.

• The problem is general. If it occurs, it occurs immediately after power-on and lasts until the next reboot. It is not related to Rigs or effects. I have also found that it does this even with the volume pedal disconnected. So I'm now more or less sure it's some software bug. In fact, it never occurred before. It's only been occurring for a few months. It took me long time to identify it. It doesn't do it very often. At first I thought it was some cable or pedal...

• Which OS version are you using? Please update to current to have a common point of reference.

What if you press "Init Globals" in System Settings while the issue exists?

• Hi, guys. I have finally managed to fix the volume down condition. It also proves that it is clearly a bug.

When the volume is reduced I have to open the output settings (I do it via iPad), activate the -12dB Pad and then turn it off again. Then the normal output volume kicks in. This problem is very irregular. It didn't happen for a few days and then suddenly two times in a row...

• It is very strange, since the -12dB PAD only affects the MAIN OUT. You reported this as an issue affecting the MONITOR OUT as well!? Is this really the case?

Which PROFILER OS version and which Rig Manager iOS version are involved?

Could it be that this issue only happens, while Rig Manager iOS is involved?

Have you checked how -12dB is set in the Output Section of the PROFILER Stage, while your level is too low? Could it be activated there and just Rig Manager iOS is out of sync?

I tested with current OS and Rig Manager iOS versions and couldn't find any issues.

• Yes, the problem is real. I have checked all the settings X times. The problem also affects the monitor output. I tried the -12dB Pad trick multiple times this morning to see if it works reliably. I found that it works not always. In 80% of cases it helps but not always.

I also tried turning on the unit without the volume pedal plugged in and plugging it in afterwards. Didn't help. Tried the cables, went through all the settings X times, tried turning off both RM and wifi in Kemper Stage...

It's weird to the point of illogical, it seems that way to me myself. But it's true.

To explain. I'm a technician. In the 80-90's I built tube amps, effects pedals like distortions, compressor, eq... all analog. I'm not well versed in digital engineering and programming, but otherwise I'm right at home in electrical engineering.

I'm already thinking it may be an actual physical malfunction as well. For example, a microscopic cold junction on the output circuits, etc. I've encountered something like this a couple of times and it behave erratically. Even a step change in current when switching a -12dB Pad could cause it to resume normal junction function sometimes...

• Please open a support ticket here

And please provide precise information. I had asked about the OS revision number.

If you have registered your Stage in your KEMPER user account we will find its serial number.

I guess, if the issue also happens without Rig Manager we can leave that out for the moment.

Please check, if the issue also disappears if you press "Init Globals" in System Settings and let us know.

If your signal loss is really exactly 6 dB it could be hardware related. Let's figure that out.

• I have the latest OS in both Kemper Stage and RM for macOS. I'll tell you the exact number tomorrow because I left Kemper in the practice room. I don't know if the drop is exactly 6dB but it is always the same. If I add 6dB of volume the output level is about the same as normal.

• We can proceed in a support ticket. I think, this is a very specific case. And if my suspicion is right, we need to see your unit.

I'd send it in for repair right away. But I work(play) 5-6 days a week and live in the Canary Islands. It would take a very long time to get it back from repair. I already sold the old equipment. I can't stay that long without an effect. When I have a holiday I'll try to organise it. How long would the repair take?

Yesterday, the Kemper started up again with the volume turned down. I restarted it on purpose - it didn't help. I turned on the iPad. I turned the -12dB Pad on and off in RM and the volume jumped to normal. A faint peeling in the speakers could also be heard.

• I suggest, that you open a support ticket anyhow and send us a current PROFILER backup, so that we can try and check, if we can reproduce the issue at one of our test Stages.

• It's a year later. I had the problem off and on. A couple of patches ago, it went away. It came back with the latest software update.

None of the tricks work now (recalibration, unplugging, -12db, etc.). The volume goes down, but not all the way to zero even when I calibrate.

When I calibrate, it says zero, but there is still sound coming thru.