Pearly Gates

• I have a number of firsts in this one; It's tuned to C#, and I tried to incorporate a very chimey clean tone (using a bass profile by Don Petersen) and a swooshy dirty tone (dual rectifier AT5). I put a reverse splash in the intro and I put in some reverse snares and some drum pauses (or whatever they call it). This tune has the best drum fill I've ever done.

The clean part is double tracked and was tricky with trigger finger because it liked to get stuck on this particular chord progression. I like this one loud.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Great tune. By far the best you did so far! I like the structure of the song and the dynamic pieces in it (clean vs. distorted parts), cleans are really nice. Drum breaks are fine. Mix is okay, only distorted guitar seems slightly too loud in the overall balance, rest fine.

That flanger (?) on the distorted guitar is a bit too much for me as it is constantly there. First appearance of it: Great, wow, cool sound. But then it nags here and there. Put more variation in it. Let it re-appear only in the middle of the song...

Good stuff :thumbup:8)

• I have a number of firsts in this one; It's tuned to C#, and I tried to incorporate a very chimey clean tone (using a bass profile by Don Petersen) and a swooshy dirty tone (dual rectifier AT5). I put a reverse splash in the intro and I put in some reverse snares and some drum pauses (or whatever they call it). This tune has the best drum fill I've ever done.

The clean part is double tracked and was tricky with trigger finger because it liked to get stuck on this particular chord progression. I like this one loud.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

A great tune and probably your best mix so far. I hear the accents hitting the chord changes so you were listening to my previous comment 😂

I do agree with deadman about the flanger, its' right there in your face. The drums also sounded quite trebly but maybe thats becasue they were too far back in the mix and the bass wasn't as prominent as i've heard in some of your other tunes. Did you mix it with monitors or headphones? Also, no pinch harmonics? Whats going on here? 😂

Your songwriting, playing and mixing are getting better with every tune.

• Great tune. By far the best you did so far! I like the structure of the song and the dynamic pieces in it (clean vs. distorted parts), cleans are really nice. Drum breaks are fine. Mix is okay, only distorted guitar seems slightly too loud in the overall balance, rest fine.

That flanger (?) on the distorted guitar is a bit too much for me as it is constantly there. First appearance of it: Great, wow, cool sound. But then it nags here and there. Put more variation in it. Let it re-appear only in the middle of the song...

Good stuff :thumbup:8)

Thanks deadman42 ! I agree that the flanger seems to "drag" or be "drawn" out (the words I was thinking of when using it). I probably should try a morph on it next time.

Great track indeed , some Cornell style vocals would really fit this one. Nice cleans & fuzzy lead line , well done

Thanks waraba ! After playing some bass, I plugged in my guitar to noodle some clean chords and forgot I was still on a bass profile. I loved the sound and used it. I agree on Cornell.

A great tune and probably your best mix so far. I hear the accents hitting the chord changes so you were listening to my previous comment 😂

I do agree with deadman about the flanger, its' right there in your face. The drums also sounded quite trebly but maybe thats becasue they were too far back in the mix and the bass wasn't as prominent as i've heard in some of your other tunes. Did you mix it with monitors or headphones? Also, no pinch harmonics? Whats going on here? 😂

Your songwriting, playing and mixing are getting better with every tune.

Thanks Franjoe30 ! I have been definitely paying attention to all the comments and taking notes for each succeeding mix. I think I've come close to finally nailing the kick and snare but still have to much "pop" in the toms and treble in the overheads. The bass came out nice and tight on this but I raised the drum track 2.3db on the final render and forgot to link the bass to it. Easy fix for next time.

I'm using both headphones and monitors and switch back and forth before I do each render. The monitors are at normal talking volume and the headphones are cranked.

I have another C# song finished that I am practicing my vocals on. But so far, I am ruining the song. Ha! I kind of like these low tunings.

• I’ll echo the others, great progress on the writing and pleased to hear mor use of rhythm guitar!

Great job BayouTexan !

Thanks Per ! I took your advice to try and keep the tunes simple and not force so much into it until I can nail down the three; drums, bass, guitar.