Profiling problem - stomp box not audible

• Hey good people. I've tried to search for posts about this, but didn't get closer to the fix the problem.

I'm trying for the first time ever, since I got my toaster 10 years ago, to profile an amp/setup again. This time I'm trying to profile a Peavey Bandit 112 Red Stripe with a stomp box. There is connection between my guitar and the amp and I can engage the amp and the stomp box. I don't hear the stomp box coming back though. When I play the clean or slightly driven amp and engage the stomp box, the amp responds and I can hear It coming from the amp, but it's not being engaged in my monitor or headphones connected to the Kemper. Why am I only hearing the amp returning? I am trying to listen trough my monitors to get the sound, I'm looking for. Shouldn't that be possible? I am definitely doing something wrong here.

My connections:

Guitar -> Kemper front input

Direct Output/send -> stomp box in

Stomp box out -> amp input

Shure SM58 microphone -> Kemper return input

Kemper L/R out -> RME Babyface Pro input

My setup:

Macbook Air M1 2020

RME Babyface Pro

ADAM A7X

Best wishes from Brian

Edited once, last by b_ryan ().

• A Grindstein distortion pedal. VERY audible from the amp. But switching the pedal on/off cannot be heard in my monitors/headphones. It should be VERY easy to hear a clean amp turn into a distortion hell 🙂 It stays clean though even the amp in the room is bursting out a distortion sound. It’s weird.

• what output source is assigned to the main output and can you confirm that you have selected the reference amp as the input source in the profiling menu?

Can I use a noise gate stomp box in the chain as well? It’s a pretty distorted profile, I’m going for and the Kemper just stops profiling, because there’s to much noise from the amp.

• Can I use a noise gate stomp box in the chain as well? It’s a pretty distorted profile, I’m going for and the Kemper just stops profiling, because there’s to much noise from the amp.

No. noise gates interfere with the profiling process. Even if you could profile with a noise gate the gste threshold would likely affect the dynamic range of the profile. Use a noose gate in the Kemper after profiling.

• So I can’t do profiling? The profiling process stops and the Kemper states, that there’s too much noise. No way around that? I need to do profiles with the extreme Boss HM-2 buzzsaw tone. That is generating a lot more noise, than a typical distortion pedal.

• I’ve tried three guitar. Same result. I’ve tried to turn off lights. Same result.

The pedal is extreme and creates very loud noise when not played. That is normal. That’s where the noise gate comes in. But that’s when playing.

I’ve seen others do profiles of this type of pedal in front of the amp.