Profile issue - profiling process stops

• I think I need to create a new topic for this.

When I try to profile a distorted amp, the profiling process stops and states, that it’s too noisy to make a profile. What do I do? I am doing a profile with a very heavy amount of distortion. A Boss HM-2 type profile. The amp itself is pretty quiet, but the pedal on the amp’s lead channel makes a lot of noise.

Can I put a noise gate in the chain?

• No. As I said in the other post, Kemper state clearly that a noise gate will cause problems.

Quote from Main Manual 8.5 Page 320

Other effects should be bypassed during the PROFILING process because they will adversely affect the result, making it sound less natural, and different to the original amp tone. These include compressors, noise gates, and time/modulation/reverb effects such as delay, reverb, chorus, and so on.

Although this next section is talking about profiling modellers or plugins it still reiterates the same point.

Quote from Main Manual 8.5 Page 326

Be sure to disengage the noise-gate in your guitar amp simulation software before PROFILING it.

Is it just hiss or are you getting hum?

Quote from Main Manual 8.5 Page 321

Considerations Regarding Noise and Hum

If you’re PROFILING a very high-gain sound, you’ll probably hear a certain amount of noise from your guitar amp. This is the well-known high-gain hissand nothing unusual. However, if you detect hum, or other noisy artefacts, from your reference amp then you probably have a ground loop. Press the GROUND LIFT button on the back of the PROFILER Head or Rack for both the MAIN OUTPUT and the RETURN. The PROFILER Stage has no physical ground lift switches, but instead provides ground lift options in the Output Section. If that does not solve the problem, try different combinations using the other GROUND LIFTs. It is important that at least one of the GROUND LIFTs is not activated to ensure that the PROFILER has at least one ground connection.

Remember that hum and noise is undesirable and might have a negative influence on the PROFILING process. Often, the best results are achieved by activating the GROUND LIFTs for all outputs except for the DIRECT OUT / SEND 1.

Have you tried an A/B comparison between your real HM 2 and the modelled version in the Kemper? Could you just profile your amp without the pedal and use the HM2 Stomp instead?

• Wheresthedug

Hey man. Thanx again 🙏🏻 I know you already told me that, a noise gate would be bad. I just thought that a second opinion would be good 🙂 But your references to the manual is all the proof, I need. Again….thanx.

Hiss or hum? Just a lot of loud noise from extreme distortion.

Not a direct A/B comparison, no. I have my original HM-2 Japan model and this Grindstein clone to get two different hissing buzzsaw tones to compliment each other. But I didn’t as such do an A/B. The both of them are noisy though and when using them on an already existing profile, I have to turn the pedals off, when not playing. That’s normal. The buzzsaw sound is famous for its insane and uncomfortable distortion and noise.

I could do that, indeed. But that kinda makes the whole idea of profiling obsolete for me, since there aren’t many profiles that take the pedals convincingly. I found 1 or 2. I doubt that this will either once profiled, so I wanted to do my own profiles, so I didn’t need to plug in a pedal. But it seems like there’s no real possibility to this, but to reamp in the studio using real amps, when the Kemper can’t solve this.

Who would have thought that, one was locked on using real amps 🤣 Not the end of the world. But I guess it’s just not happening, the way I wanted it to.