Main Output into Pedals

• Hello,

Curious - if I wanted to output the full Kemper signal chain into a guitar pedal, like a reverb or a delay, should I take any step to set the level to instrument? If so, how? I'm curious if I can maintain the full integrity of the sound in such a scenario. Are there other approaches if this one is not the best?

Thanks!

• Hi - that's not the normal place to put a pedal. The signal is already fully formed by that point. That's on top of "Why would you need a reverb or delay pedal when you have a Kemper?", since they're amazing.

Pedals would normally go in front (not reverb or delay) or in a loop.

• The Kemper outputs are very loud/hot/high voltage. They are designed for professional audio and drive output voltages very high.

To connect to normal human audio interfaces the Kemper has a -12 dB pad that reduces the output. You can also turn down the outputs to -12 to get a similar result.

Guitar pedals will assume a guitar or "instrument" level signal which is slightly lower in voltage than a line level signal. So you should be able to get decent results but lowering your output volume more than -12 dB.

It all depends on the pedal. It should be designed with more "headroom". Meaning it can handle hotter voltages than a typical instrument level. Especially since a reverb pedal would be used after a gain pedal which could push the voltages closer to line level anyway.

If it were me I would start around - 16 dB and gradually increase volume until -12 dB. If I hear any distortion, back off a little.

Understanding Signal Levels

Mic Instrument and Speaker Levels

Instrument levels are not defined since it varies a lot by instrument. They are just assumed to be between very low voltage Microphone Level and normal voltage Line Level voltages.

There can also be expectations about the input impedance of the device. But most line level and instrument devices have high enough impedances it may not matter for typical applications.

• I have my Kemper Outputs going into a pedal and then out to an Interface with no problem. I do that quite a bit. It might even be nice to put a EQ pedal there when going to FOH.

You can also setup pedals for Kemper the same way as an amp's effect loop using Kemper Direct Output/Send and Return. Read all about it in the manual.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• I have my Kemper Outputs going into a pedal and then out to an Interface with no problem. I do that quite a bit. It might even be nice to put a EQ pedal there when going to FOH.

You can also setup pedals for Kemper the same way as an amp's effect loop using Kemper Direct Output/Send and Return. Read all about it in the manual.

That's like having guitar pedals at the mixing desk, after the mic on the amp. I don't get why you'd do that, but hey.

• That's like having guitar pedals at the mixing desk, after the mic on the amp. I don't get why you'd do that, but hey.

I do it because I can and I want to. :P I have a stereo TCE Mimiq pedal and that's the only place to put it to get the best of the effect. I have other "stereo" effect pedals and I like that position for the stereo spread. I don't use any stomps or mono pedals there.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• This sounds similar to adding pedals in an amps effects loop (which is often (but not always) line level) which people do all the time. If it sounds good it is.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• As long as the outputs are turned down enough to prevent clipping, it's not a big deal to do.

Pedals like the Atomic Firebox have no effects loop. The only way you get effects post amp is using them after the output. Its output isn't as hot as the Profiler's, but the principle is the same. Most any amp sim pedal that includes a cab sim operates this way. Even something like the time-honored (and analog) SansAmp pedals.

You're passing a fully-realized signal (amp, cab and with a Profiler, any post effects you include) into the pedal.

It's not conventional, but not unheard of whatsoever and works fine.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Edited once, last by Ruefus ().