Newbie question: Need Help with Output settings for Profiler Stage when used with Kemper Powered Kabinet

• Hi guys,

I've had a Kemper Stage for a couple of years now, but so far, I've only used it in Browser mode, for recording at home. However, for the first time now, I'm planning to use it for live gigs. I was hoping you guys could help me with the proper setup requirements. I have watched quite a few video tutorials and also read the user's manual, but there are still areas I find confusing.

Mainly, I'm hoping to get a step-by-step list of instructions on how to setup the profiler stage (specifically for the Powered Kabinet). I'm already clear about using the Main Outs for the P.A. (house mixer), and the monitor outs for my powered Kabinet.

However, for example, I'm confused about the "Monitor Cab Off" option. When using the profiler stage with the powered Kemper Kabinet, do I need to check this "Monitor Cab Off" box?

And another question regarding the Kone imprints... The main amp profiles that I plan to use are a Marshall (Plexi or JCM800) as well as a Vox AC30. Those are the main tones I'm going for. Could you please advise me with regard to whether to use various Kone imprints, and how to go about it? Or should I just use not use imprints at all? I suppose this question is also somehow related to my earlier question about the "Monitor Cab Off" option.

Also, on a totally separate topic, assuming I will need to play reasonably loud at the gig (noisy bar, etc), is there any problem or risk with turning the volume knob on the Powered Kabinet all the way up to maximum (in terms of damaging the Kemper Kabinet)? For what it's worth, I will also be using a volume (expression) pedal.

Thank you for your help.

• I suggest you read the manual. Start on page 79 for answers...

Working with Amplifier PROFILEs, Cabinet PROFILEs, Power Amps and Guitar Cabinets 79

Monitor Cab OFF deactivates the Kemper imprints and goes FRFR mode.   EDIT: It's opposite as stated.

You can use any imprint you want on any profile by clicking the Cab button and navigating to an imprint and then save the rig.

The Kemper Kabinet is rated at 200 watts. I doubt you will ever go that loud unless you are playing in an open arena. I have a powered rack so I look at the wattage meter when I play. At 50 watts and 5 feet away, my bones start to rattle.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

Edited 2 times, last by BayouTexan ().

• The Main Manual includes a chapter "KEMPER Kone" which explains all options you have using a KEMPER Power Kabinet.

This includes "Monitor Cab. Off" and the difference it makes while using a KEMPER Kabinet.

• I must have hit a bad note when I read that in the manual...

When Monitor Cab Off is not highlighted, the KEMPER Kone works in full-range mode.

Why not remove the text completely and relabel it "Kone Imprint ON" in manual and inside the OS??? Less confusing that way.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Kempers video also answers part of your question, since you are using the stage and powered kabinet only an instrument cable is applicable for connecting the two.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Wattage Meter: page 98 Main Manual

As soon as you activate Kemper Kone mode a Wattage Meter appears. If you are afraid of damaging your KEMPER Kone speaker, then use this Wattage Meter to monitor exactly how much power is being delivered.

The scale matches KEMPER Power Kabinets-with VOLUME on the Kabinet set to maximum-as well as unpowered Kabinets connected to the SPEAKER OUTPUT of PROFILER PowerHead or PowerRack models.

The Wattage Meter cannot provide accurate information if you are using external 3rd party power amps.

• I appreciate all the input guys. I have indeed looked at the manual (though I admit I haven't read it front to back). But I will keep reading through it.

At this stage, I'm still a bit confused...

On a side note... Being that I am multi-lingual (but know only minimal German), I did notice that the wording in the various manuals from Kemper is a bit confusing. Sometimes, the way the manual explains a certain concept is not the easiest way to understand for English speakers. Hard to explain, but I think that's part of the problem. But I digress...

Maybe this approach might be more fruitful: Do any of you guys specifically use the Kemper stage and the Powered Kabinet? And if you do, do you select (check) the "Monitor Cab Off" box?

Thanks again.

• Monitor Cab off is the only way to get the Kone imprints to function. It doesn't matter which model of Profiler you're using, or if the Kabinet is powered or unpowered.

no, checking "monitor cab off" deactivates the cab stored in the rig and enables the imprints.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• Our English manuals are all reviewed by a native speaker experienced in techncial documentations.

You don't need to read the whole manual from front to back right now. For this matter just read the chapter KEMPER Kone. It explains the options and parameters around using the KEMPER Kone, which is the chassis inside the KEMPER Kabinet and KEMPER Power Kabinet. And you have the choice to run KEMPER Kone either with Monitor Cab. Off activated (Speaker Imprint Mode) or deactivated (Full-Range Mode). I'm confident you will understand the explanations.

• I don;t use the Stage or powered Kabinet but I use the powerrack and unpowered Kabinet which basically work the same way. I have been using the kabinet live since its launch - BTW I've never studied the manual because its not too complicated.

Im also in the UK/english so no translation required.

Just a few basics which might help...

The sound from the Kabinet WILL be different to that going out of the PA. This is the same with a regular set up but you would be less aware, so don't get too hung up on them being the same. This is because the imprints and Kabinet are designed to give you the amp in the room sound.

2 main modes you can use the Kabinet - FRFR or Imprints. Go for imprints.

Enable the imprints - the process is in the manual...I don't have mine in front of me but from the manual, the key bits are

"Navigate to the “KEMPER Kone” page in the Output Section and press the soft button labeled “KEMPER Kone”.
    When Monitor Cab Off is not highlighted, the KEMPER Kone works in full-range mode.

 Speaker Imprint Mode
    By activating Monitor Cab Off, you suppress the cabinet simulation selectively for the MONITOR OUTPUT, in order to run a traditional guitar speaker via that output, or via the built-in power amp. The KEMPER Kone mode fulfills this demand by switching from full-range mode to the Speaker Imprint mode.

So yes, the monitor Cab is checked for imprints. Its easy to check as if its in FRFR mode anyway, because you can't select any speaker types.

Hope that helps a bit...

• Our English manuals are all reviewed by a native speaker experienced in techncial documentations.

You don't need to read the whole manual from front to back right now. For this matter just read the chapter KEMPER Kone. It explains the options and parameters around using the KEMPER Kone, which is the chassis inside the KEMPER Kabinet and KEMPER Power Kabinet. And you have the choice to run KEMPER Kone either with Monitor Cab. Off activated (Speaker Imprint Mode) or deactivated (Full-Range Mode). I'm confident you will understand the explanations.

Thank you Burkhard. I have been reading the manual and watching several videos (made by various people). I think it is starting to make sense. Thanks again.

Thank you also V8guitar. Very useful post and yes, it was helpful. I appreciate it.

• Thank you Burkhard. I have been reading the manual and watching several videos (made by various people). I think it is starting to make sense. Thanks again.

Thank you also V8guitar. Very useful post and yes, it was helpful. I appreciate it.

Like any new tech, it takes time to orientate yourself with the KPA but trust me, its quite intuitive.

Couple of other small pointers for you that hopefully helps:

1) For playing live, you need to make sure you have the -12db on. This lowers the output to the FOH so that the signal is not too hot. Otherwise the engineer will scream at you :)

2) Practice you live sound at volume because the sound changes dramatically and so make as many changes there rather than panicking at sound check - particularly useful if you are switching sounds a lot, so you can balance them prior.

3) Get really familiar with the controls so that you know what plugs into what and if someone says

4) Make sure your volumes are unlinked so that you have a steady sound out to FOH - this is less important on a stage as you are probably going adjust your Kabinet volume with the Kabinet volume control..

5) Keep it simple to start with and build on that - for example I only use 1 imprint ( v30 I think). its been set and forget for me...

6) The KPA has some top tools for live playing - use performance mode, set up the basic sounds ( clean, Rhythm, solo) and use the effects as stomps..I also love the wah which is touch sensitive, no messing with clicking on and off..I also use morph ( switch not expression pedal) as an additional boost for riffs as it effectively doubles the slots in performance mode...

7) HAVE FUN! Your sound needs to be good but not perfect, its your playing and performance people come to see!

Hope that helps as well...the KPA is such a great live tool, you owe it an outing on a live stage...

• Once again, thank you very much V8guitar! This is the kind of post that is super helpful. I have my first live gig with the Kemper coming up in 2 weeks, so yes, I will use your check list and prepare the best I can. Thanks again!

• Once again, thank you very much V8guitar! This is the kind of post that is super helpful. I have my first live gig with the Kemper coming up in 2 weeks, so yes, I will use your check list and prepare the best I can. Thanks again!

No worries dude, let us know if anything isn't clear or can help at all...

• Is it possible to run a cable from the speaker out to the keeper kabinet and ALSO a second cable from line out into my guitar amp at the same time?

The monitor output will deliver the same signal as the speaker output including any of the Kone mode settings. These will be not suitable for any cab that is not equipped with Kone speakers. If you connect the main out or direct output the signal will contain the Profiler cab simulation which again is not suitable for monitoring through a nonlinear cabinet. The only thing you could do is connect the direct output with the output source DI/low or Git/analog and use your external guitar amp to process the guitar signal.