Installed OS 8.7.15 - Intermittent Sound Cut-Out; Can I downgrade?

• I installed OS 8.7.15 on my Rack last night. Immediately I started getting intermittent sound cut-out ... like a bad cable. Check, and double checked, all connections and all were good. Rack was working perfectly on the same profiles 30 minutes prior to updating the OS.

First issue: can I get the prior OS and install it? Didn't see where I might be able to do that in the Downloads area.

Second issue: anyone else having this issue? I saw the thread on complete sound cut-out due to slots ... but my issue is different. Sound cutting out while just playing in a given profile without switching effects in slots.

Thanks all.

• thanks ... that link takes you to very old OS' prior to 7.3.2 because you have to do a 2 step upgrade in many cases with the older stuff.

I'm looking for the immediately preceding OS before 8.7.15, which is apparently 8.7.10.

• Hello everyone. I agree. I installed the new OS in my rack unit. While in performance, within an hour, the sound simply quit until reboot. I am going to backdate to my previous version. I hope it goes clean. I had not personally seen this issue until this OS. I had an occasional no sound at boot up, but never lost sound once booted.

• Can you further describe the circumstances triggering the issue?

Performance Mode?

Performance Load or Slot Load within same Performance?

While loading a Slot for the first time or while returning to a Slot that had been loaded before?

Any particular Slot e.g. Slot 3?

What is the status of the INPUT LED? Off, constant color, which color?

How do you switch Slots e.g. via Remote?

Can you still change tempo by hitting the TAP button and does the TAP LED reflect the new tempo?

Please also open support tickets here to further investigate the issue.

• I will try to respond to provide detail in my situation.

I have a rack mount Kemper and Remote pedal.

Attached to the remote, I have 3 expression pedals.

My volume pedal is a Mission GP1-KP. It is plugged into Pedal 3 input.

I use the bottom slots 1- 10ish for the sets we will be playing.

I was using either slot 20 or Slot 2 or 3. (Apologies, I do not recall as I was organizing the songs for this weekend)

Anyway, I upgraded the OS while I was moving profiles around.

Finalizing for the set, I was working on a slide and swells using the volume pedal when the issue occurred.

(Add - after I rebooted, the sound returned)

This was within an hour of the upgrade. Luckily I had my backup version.

I backdated to 8.7.10.38833 and left the system on for several hours, playing intermittently to check sound. So far so good.

I did not notice the input LED's or try to set tempo during the failure. I associated the failure with the OS and immediately backdated as I am booked this weekend. I hope that helps.

Edited once, last by bgs ().

• With "bottom slot 1-10" you mean the ten Slots of Performance 1 and 2?

And "slot 20" is in fact Slot 5 of Performance 4?

Performance Mode offers 125 Performances each having Slots 1-5.

As the Volume Pedal was involved in this situation, this would be my first guess: Perhaps an issue with cable or pedal. If this should happen again, check the level of the Volume Pedal bar in System Settings page Pedal Links. Then simply disconnect the TRS cable from socket PEDAL 3. If this recovers the sound, there might be something wrong with those devices. As you have three expression pedals, make also sure there is no Wah Pedal with WahPedal to Volume activated, which could also trigger Volume Pedal and compete with your dedicated Volume Pedal. So check all sockets PEDAL 1-6 configurations and make sure, there is only one triggering volume. If Volume Pedal is the root cause of loss of sound, a restart will recover sound, since the Volume Pedal controller always restarts at maximum regardless of the current pedal position.

• The bottom slots in performance are 1 (1-5), 2 (1-5) through 10 (1-5). While I see your thought on the pedal. I do not agree. The pedal had been flawless with all previous versions. The pedal remains solid since the OS back date. It was definitely something with the new version. I may skip this version and wait for the next OS update to see if the symptom returns. I cannot chance it while playing live. I do appreciate your feedback though.

Best

-B

• Mine occurred on my Rack with remote, was primarily in Performance 1 Slot 3 (it's a simple mid gain Marshall profile). I have a Mission EP for volume boost (used only to boost for solos) and a Mission EP for wah (which gets infrequent use because, well, it's a wah). Neither was being used in my case. The signal cut-out was intermittent, would last several seconds, then restore, then do it again. Seemed very random (not on a time cycle nor related to whether I playing hard or soft, guitar volume at 10 or less, etc.). I checked every connection between the guitar and the Profiler, the remote, etc. Nothing about the displays (on the Profiler or Remote) changed when this happened. The signal cut out on the connection to the mixing board and to my monitor. Teh cut out happened frequently and was very noticeable during any songs. Rebooted the Profiler several times but no joy.

I'm downgrading to 8.7.10 today. Berkhard very nicely sent me the prior OS by email when I contacted Kemper (great service). I don't think 8.7.10 was available on the Support|Downloads page last Thursday (see my post above). I wonder if Kemper are getting a lot of requests to downgrade.

The Profiler is a complex piece of equipment, and if there's any kind of glitch in the new OS that's certainly no deal breaker as long as the user can easily reinstall the prior OS. Kemper was very quick to respond my email and support my request, which is fantastic customer support not seen with many companies.

• Some people are reprorting a loss of sound issue, which happens in Performance Mode when sswitching Slots and sticks until the unit gets restarted. What you describe seems different as

1. you don't seem to loose the signal completely

2. it happens "randomly"

3. a restart hasn't always fixed it.

Check if the INPUT LED and/or the OUTPUT LED are reflecting your issue.

Check if WahPedal to Volume is activated. Perhaps your Wah Pedal and Volume Pedal are in competition.

• I had a terrible gig with the latest release.
    Using performance mode.
    Sound cut out/stopped working had to reboot three (3) times during a show. Also had a sudden loss of overdrive , had to again reboot twice during a show to solve that.

I also had a strange issue at boot up where you had no sound and could not switch rigs, even the main knob did not work as I tried to power down and nothing happened. It was all locked up. I had to unplug the Kemper and then restart.

I have been using Kemper since 2013 and these last few releases have become very unstable, it’s never been like this before. This has become really unacceptable at this point. Hopefully I can go back a few releases to solve all of this. I’m at at point now where I am going to leave my Kemper on the shelf and gig with something else until it becomes stable. Back to tube amps for now.

Edited once, last by drog ().

• I had a terrible gig with the latest release.
    Using performance mode.
    Sound cut out/stopped working had to reboot three (3) times during a show. Also had a sudden loss of overdrive , had to again reboot twice during a show to solve that.

I also had a strange issue at boot up where you had no sound and could not switch rigs, even the main knob did not work as I tried to power down and nothing happened. It was all locked up. I had to unplug the Kemper and then restart.

I have been using Kemper since 2013 and these last few releases have become very unstable, it’s never been like this before. This has become really unacceptable at this point. Hopefully I can go back a few releases to solve all of this. I’m at at point now where I am going to leave my Kemper on the shelf and gig with something else until it becomes stable. Back to tube amps for now.

I doubt all this is software related.

We are chasing an issue, where the sound disappears completely in Performance Mode when returning to a Slot within the same Performance which had been loaded before. A restart recovers the sound always correctly. And there are no corresponding issues regarding the user interface at all.

This "loss of overdrive" sounds more like an issue in the signal chain: guitar, guitar battery, cable, wireless audio transmission, other gear looped in with cables and batteries, expression pedals, switches and their cables. Here I would also check, if all inputs and outputs are affected e.g. ALTERNATIVE IN, HEADPHONE OUT.

The complete hang of the user interface that you describe is not related to the current OS, which is used by many thousand users. I guess, you would have the same with an old OS.

I suggest you open a support ticket.

• I’ve definitely had the sound cut out in performance mode while changing patches.

I’ll see if I can trace the other issue .

I hope we see a patch for the first issue soon.
    For now I’m downgraded to an older version. I’ll also see if the other issue continues