Connecting Kemper Profiler to MacBook Pro?

• I really would like to get a new Profiler head but my computer is a new MacBook Pro. My old Profiler would not connect. Kemper had no solution. I wasted a lot of time.

Will a new Profiler connect with my brand new Mac running Ventura OS? This will affect my decision.

• If you mean will Rig Manager run and connect to the profiler then yes. I am running a 2018 profiler on a New Mac Mini M1 with Ventura without any problems. But then I haven’t had any problems connecting to a Mac since I got the `kemper in 2018. I only changed over from my old iMac a month or so ago and it was rock solid with the old iMac on multiple OS versions.

• I’m also running a MacBook M1 with RM. It’s not a Pro but an Air though. My Kemper is from the first batch of green/black toasters. Never had a problem regarding connection on any computer. So it’s pretty weird. Have you tried to send it to Kemper and let them try?

• I had a similar problem connecting a Stage to the latest generation MacBook Air with the M2 chip. With Rig Manager open, it didn‘t find the Stage connected via USB.

Turned out there is a security feature in MacOS restricting new USB connections by default. When connecting a new peripheral, like the Stage, there is supposed to be a popup window asking if the connection should be allowed. That window, however, was just visible for a fraction of a second and then disappeared, so that the connection stayed blocked.

The solution is to go to Settings -> Security and privacy -> „Allow connection of accessories“ (or something similar, I’m using a German MacOS) and set that to „always“.

If it still has trouble connecting, try to connect the USB cable to your Mac first and to the Kemper second. For some reason, that seems to help. May be coincidence, though.

I’m not sure we’re having the same problem, but hopefully it helps You to sort yours out. And maybe other people con profit as well.

• If you mean will Rig Manager run and connect to the profiler then yes. I am running a 2018 profiler on a New Mac Mini M1 with Ventura without any problems. But then I haven’t had any problems connecting to a Mac since I got the `kemper in 2018. I only changed over from my old iMac a month or so ago and it was rock solid with the old iMac on multiple OS versions.

Yes, Rig Manager. What cable are you connecting with?

• I’m also running a MacBook M1 with RM. It’s not a Pro but an Air though. My Kemper is from the first batch of green/black toasters. Never had a problem regarding connection on any computer. So it’s pretty weird. Have you tried to send it to Kemper and let them try?

Yep, went back and forth with Kemper Support for over a month. Issue was never resolved. Same question to you, what cable are you using?

• Thank you. I will look for that when new Kemper arrives. Getting new MacBook Pro and new Kemper toaster top (unpowered).

Hopefully no connection issues this time. With my old setup, the only way to communicate with the Profiler was via flash drive.

• Yep, went back and forth with Kemper Support for over a month. Issue was never resolved. Same question to you, what cable are you using?

Just a regular cheap cable I’ve been using forever. I’ve only used this and not used other cables. It was just lying around. Don’t know where I got it from.

But it was never discussed, that you could send the unit to Kempers workshop, so they could try to identify the problem first hand instead of emailing back and forth?

• Just a regular cheap cable I’ve been using forever. I’ve only used this and not used other cables. It was just lying around. Don’t know where I got it from.

But it was never discussed, that you could send the unit to Kempers workshop, so they could try to identify the problem first hand instead of emailing back and forth?

Later model MacBook Pro's do not have USB 2 ports. They only have USB C and Thunderbolt ports. There are no such ports on the Profiler. I had to get adapters and/or cables that would fit the computer and the Kemper. I was never able to connect and update the software or, do anything else with a cable connection. I tried many.

The only way I was able to update the firmware/software was to us a memory stick and an adapter for the computer.

Kemper never offered to take the amp in for evaluations. I wasted a lot of time trying to get it to work.

• Later model MacBook Pro's do not have USB 2 ports. They only have USB 3 and Thunderbolt ports. There are no such ports on the Profiler. I had to get adapters and/or cables that would fit the computer and the Kemper. I was never able to connect and update the software or, do anything else with a cable connection. I tried many.

USB3 still uses the same connector as USB2 and is backward compatible. My Macs have always worked with RM without any adapter. i think you are referring to USB C ports which would need a converter but that shouldn’t cause any problems as it is only the connection that is different.

• Later model MacBook Pro's do not have USB 2 ports. They only have USB 3 and Thunderbolt ports. There are no such ports on the Profiler. I had to get adapters and/or cables that would fit the computer and the Kemper. I was never able to connect and update the software or, do anything else with a cable connection. I tried many.

The only way I was able to update the firmware/software was to us a memory stick and an adapter for the computer.

Kemper never offered to take the amp in for evaluations. I wasted a lot of time trying to get it to work.

I thought it was of less importance, but I see now, that it of course is very important. I run everything through a Caldigit Thunderbolt Station 2 (or 3). Not the newest one. It works like a charm….the Kemper RM, my external monitor, midi devices, RME Babyface Pro fs, my external SSD and so forth. Cable is still 10 years old at least.

Have you tried on a different Mac and on a pc? Mine is working on pc and my Mac with the latest Ventura and the previous Monterey. No issues at all.

If it doesn’t work on other devices at all, I would think that it would have to be the Kemper. But if it works on other Macs and pc’s, I would think that it would be the Mac (settings of some sort). When I was installing my RME Babyface Pro fs, it was a pain in the butt. I had to go deep into the Mac’s safety settings and turn off the safety settings, that don’t allow certain non-accepted apps to be installed. It’s a M1 thing and they all have to do this. I don’t know if that is something, you would need to do. I wouldn’t think so 🤔

If your Kemper doesn’t connect to ANY computer, I would open a support ticket at Kemper again and ask, if it is possible to let their people handle it. It’s in Germany though. I don’t know where, you’re located. I just know that my Kemper has traveled to Germany and back to get new LEDs/screen. It took 8 days or so from Denmark from when I sent it till I had it in my possession again. Very fast and reliable. I love the Kemper company. I would think that they would help you out. I don’t know what you have been corresponding with them though and why a suggestion hasn’t been brought up.

• USB3 still uses the same connector as USB2 and is backward compatible. My Macs have always worked with RM without any adapter. i think you are referring to USB C ports which would need a converter but that shouldn’t cause any problems as it is only the connection that is different.

Yes, I misspoke. USB C on the new Mac's.

• Hey, thanks again. I only had the one computer to connect it too. My original Kemper Power Head is gone. I have a new Profiler Head (unpowered) on order. I will post on this thread when it gets here if there are connection issues.

There were several people having the same issues with MacBook Pro's as I did but, others reported no problems. Go figure.

• One thing I have noticed on mine (M1 air) is that with new macs/usb-c, you want to start up RM, then first plug only the usbA to usb-C adapter into the mac first, then run the usb cable from the kemper (usb-B) to the (already plugged in) adapter. If you connect the adapter to the usb cable first then to the mac, sometimes the mac wont recognize it properly. I've had that same issue with some DACs as well.

Edited once, last by dfdfan ().

• If its already wired up, then after starting RM, just unplug the usb cable from the adapter and then plug it in again. The whole "Did you try turning it off and back on again" thing is real.

• One thing I have noticed on mine (M1 air) is that with new macs/usb-c, you want to start up RM, then first plug only the usbA to usb-C adapter into the mac first, then run the usb cable from the kemper (usb-B) to the (already plugged in) adapter. If you connect the adapter to the usb cable first then to the mac, sometimes the mac wont recognize it properly. I've had that same issue with some DACs as well.

Weird. I always start my Kemper up first. I never disconnect anything at all. It never failed on me regarding my Air M1.

• Weird. I always start my Kemper up first. I never disconnect anything at all. It never failed on me regarding my Air M1.

The key there may be never disconnecting. I have no idea how mac bus systems work and its probably safer that way. I have a nord wave2 that works no matter how you plug it in using the adapter initially, but if you unplug the c adapter from the mac and flip it over the loader wont recognize the device until you either flip it back or just reseat the a side into the c adapter. Weird for sure but it could be me. I've taken so many fender shocks in my youth that I may still be radiating some of that stored electricity. :)