Reverb yay or nay on live rock tones

• "the venue"... What is that? I have played many places and none are the same. Playing an outdoor gig is completely different than a small bar . Use your ears and adjust accordingly.

Small bars to decent sized festivals, some nearly empty and some rammed to capacity, indoors and outdoors. I don't use reverb at any of them though.

• Quote: “"the venue"... What is that? I have played many places and none are the same. Playing an outdoor gig is completely different than a small bar . Use your ears and adjust accordingly.

As I mentioned to an attractive geography teacher living close by.

“Geology rocks, but geography is where it’s at!”

Adjust to acoustics.

• I also think (and I've seen him live) David Gilmour uses almost no reverb or none in his live stadium shows. The volume is so high and the sound stage so large that it would only muddy things up. There was at least one, usually 2 delays on almost everything (the dry part of the solo in money was an exception).

• I also think (and I've seen him live) David Gilmour uses almost no reverb or none in his live stadium shows. The volume is so high and the sound stage so large that it would only muddy things up. There was at least one, usually 2 delays on almost everything (the dry part of the solo in money was an exception).

Yes, I'm not an expert of Gilmour's gear and settings but I have heard him say in interviews that he doesn't use Reverb Live because it gets out of hand in a way that delay doesn't. He may have changed his views over the years though for all I know.

• What is unreasonable about asking people whether they use reverb on their live rock sounds?

It is simply because every situation is different. In fact, every song in a performance is different for me. Location, song type, emotion conveyed, tone, other instruments, and intent are always changing. The reason for my unreasonable comment is that there are essentially an infinite number of answers to your question.

• I have went back and forth with this a lot. What I have found is Reverb through the Kemper to FOH is not as preferable as when it is sent dry and applied on the bus on the board. It's not that the Kemper reverbs are not as good by any means ( I love them) it's that to my ears putting reverb pre FOH vs mixed in the house board is kinda like using FX pre and post amp, the reverb seems more alive putting it in after in a bus. What I have been doing is have a short almost indistinguishable short reverb than when turned up sounds lovely and makes me happy. I'll start out with it very low and if the room needs it I'll turn it up and lock it where I like it and let the house take it from there. I "set my space". It's all on the mix knob, fast and easy. Sometimes the FOH engineer might complain I have it a bit high so we compromise.

Even though there are many song to song differentials (like surf music) that might require a reverb as an FX, I tend to think of reverb "making a space" and besides special fx like if I was to play wipe out, I'll keep it pretty consistent.

Edited once, last by Dynochrome: incorrect word ().

• Yes, I'm not an expert of Gilmour's gear and settings but I have heard him say in interviews that he doesn't use Reverb Live because it gets out of hand in a way that delay doesn't. He may have changed his views over the years though for all I know.

I consider myself an expert with delays. I know how to make them like a reverb, and how to make them sound huge but not leave a distinguishable trail. or take off into space. I really get them. I'm not a big Gilmore fan but I would 100% believe he doesn't use reverb. It is possible to set a reverb like a slapback and a delay close to a reverb, it's a time based effect and there is some crossover abilities between the two. Imo delays are cleaner and reverbs a bit more "saturated".

• It is simply because every situation is different. In fact, every song in a performance is different for me. Location, song type, emotion conveyed, tone, other instruments, and intent are always changing. The reason for my unreasonable comment is that there are essentially an infinite number of answers to your question.

Not for me...its all ROCK! Emotion? Nah, its just a sledgehammer in the face Im aiming for..

That is of course a Joke and you are totally right. I think the OP just wanted peoples thoughts on what they tend to to use...

• I have a little on everything and sometimes a lot. Gig rigs are way less reverby than in the house though, obvs

A brace of Suhrs, a Charvel, a toaster, an Apollo twin, a Mac, and a DXR10

• Are reverb discussions wet or dry?

If you use FRFR the benefit of a merged profile is that the cabinet is totally separated in the profile.

For my edification only... ;) Kemper/Axe-FX III/ Quad Cortex user