Headphones vs Kabinet or Studio Monitors

• New Kemper Stage owner here, and I've been exclusively using it via headphones (Senn Drop6xx).

I'm focusing 100% on practicing, but plan to one day soon get into recording myself more as a practice tool for improving my playing than anything else. Still consider myself an early intermediate player at this time. I have no future plans for gigging (I'm 52 and have played guitar off and on for a few decades but now that I have much more time I'm focusing on improving my skills full out).

Previous to the Kemper I just played from my Boss Katana MK1 (which I still have).

I'm wondering what I'm missing by only using headphones vs. picking up the Power Kab (or Kemper Kone and putting it into my Katana), vs. also just getting a pair of good powered studio monitors and playing out of those.

For my uses, what path would you recommend for me next?

• For your particular situation I would go for a pair of studio monitors but a Powered Kabinet would also be a nice option. You will find people hear who like both.

Ok, what about my situation is making you recommend studio monitors vs. continuing with headphones or using a Powered Kabinet?

BTW - I don't play super loud - but on the other hand I have a room where if I wanted to play louder I could. It's usually just me on my own trying to nail down some riff, tune or just standard practice, but I feel like I'm bound to the headphones too much (even though they sound excellent!)

So, what can I expect in tone differences between using headphones and going with a pair of studio monitors?

And, which monitors are recommended?

• Monitors will give you the same or better sound quality as head=h-nes but without the need to wear headphones . A Powered Kabinet will give you more pf a traditional amp sound which will be mono unless you buy two of them.

As you aren’t gigging or plying with others you don’t need massive volume so don’t need Kabinet type speakers unless you specifically want that traditional amp in the room without a mic sound.

As you are practicing and trying to learn parts, monitors would be a good match for playing the music you are trying to learn while practicing along with it.

If you want to start recording in the foreseeable future they will also be necessary so buying them now future proofs tour setup to a certain extent.

As for what monitors are best, that is one pf those “how long is a piece pf string” questions. How much do you want to spend, what kind of music are you playing listening too, how loud, etc etc the best option is to go into a shop with multiple brands and models and try some yourself.

• Thansk for explaining - totally makes sense!

I'm not constrained much by budget, but don't need something that's super huge or loud either, but I do appreciate accurate sonics.

I'm mainly playing rock with some pop, but I do like all kinds of genres, just end up playing more rock than anything else.

I will certainly try out some in a shop!

• I'm just a few years older than you and my situation is somewhat similar, I plugged into the effects return of a Mustang III for 4 years prior to trying other monitoring solutions. I had two Kones in my own cabinets and also purchased a powered Kabinet and tried working with them for about a year but they weren't my cup of tea, I also tried several different powered pa speakers and they weren't for me either, the trial and error can get costly.

If you don't plan on playing out live I'd suggest a decent pair of studio monitors might be the most logical investment, especially since you plan on moving towards recording in the future. If you ever decide to go jam with someone you could always take your Katana and plug into it's effects loop input or even at home for an occasional change.

• I'm just a few years older than you and my situation is somewhat similar, I plugged into the effects return of a Mustang III for 4 years prior to trying other monitoring solutions. I had two Kones in my own cabinets and also purchased a powered Kabinet and tried working with them for about a year but they weren't my cup of tea, I also tried several different powered pa speakers and they weren't for me either, the trial and error can get costly.

If you don't plan on playing out live I'd suggest a decent pair of studio monitors might be the most logical investment, especially since you plan on moving towards recording in the future. If you ever decide to go jam with someone you could always take your Katana and plug into it's effects loop input or even at home for an occasional change.

Excellent advice, thanks.

Also, I guess I could always drop a Kone into my Katana later on. Would I need some kind of D-Class power amp as well for that?

Which studio monitors did you end up with?

Edited once, last by joefig44 ().

• Excellent advice, thanks.

Also, I guess I could always drop a Kone into my Katana later on. Would I need some kind of D-Class power amp as well for that?

Which studio monitors did you end up with?

Unfortunately when I downloaded the manual for the first generation Katana it states it is not compatible with speakers that the input impedance is less than 8ohms, Kones are 4ohms so I'd advise against dropping one in.

If you have an interest in the Kone I would recommend a Kabinet, since you have the stage there's two options, a class D power amp plus an unpowered Kabinet or make it easy and get the powered Kabinet.

If you already have an empty speaker cabinet and power amp then putting a Kone in that would save money, if not I think a Kabinet is the best option. One thing I found with the Kone, it sounds better with some volume, at lower volumes it didn't sound as good to me but that's just a personal observation, others may have different experiences and opinions concerning this.

As far as studio monitors, I have a cheaper small pair that i use for some video editing, the Kemper sounds terrible through them but I have no intention on doing multi track recording again as I once did so I see no reason to spend money at this time for a better quality pair of monitors.

I also have no intention of plugging my Kemper into a pa system so I went in another direction for monitoring, I have it setup more like a traditional amp but one that is more versatile beyond anything else I could imagine using, but that is conclusion I reached based entirely on personal taste.

Most of the users on this forum have reported great results using good studio monitors (and a good recording interface) as well as with the Kabinet or powered pa speakers, I'd say my experience is in a much smaller percentile of users. But looking at your original post of intended use I would focus on studio monitors, there are multiple discussions on the forum on this subject,. Take some time to read through them as you'll probably find answers to questions you have concerning them already answered, if the information you need isn't found then fire away with your question, the members on this forum are not only helpful but very knowledgeable.

• Thanks for looking into the Katana MK1 for me. I would have thought I'd just unsolder/resolder the wires and just put the Kone speaker in it with new wires to the port jack. So basically I'm just literally using the Katana's wood cabinet + Kone speaker + jack. I'd then get some D-Class amp to use with it.

But maybe it's just easier to get the powered Kab?

I wouldn't be playing too low of a volume - but probably 75-85dB I'd think (is that considered too low of a volume)?

• It’s not a good idea to listen any louder for long periods if you value your hearing.

Its not peak levels that cause damage so much as average levels for prolonged periods. Average exposure over time.

Both in the USA and Europe over the last decades, health and safety executives have revised recommended listening levels, somewhat downward .

• Hi guys,

I just wanted to circle back to something HowardBrown looked into for me and how he had said I couldn't put a Kemper Kone into my Boss Katana MK1 cabinet.

I'm getting close now to purchasing a Kone or just getting a Power Kab, and would rather go the cheaper route if possible.

So, is it not possible to just unsolder the wires in my Katana MK1 and install the Kone in there?

And, if it is possible, which class D power amp should I use between my Kemper Stage and the modded Katana?

• What Howard was referring to was using the Amp from the Katana to power the Kone. If you simply replaced the Katana speaker with the Kone and resolder the wires from the Katana to the new speaker the amp section of the Katana will see an impedance of 4 ohms but it is only able to handle down to 8 ohms. This may damage the amp.

if you are going to go to the trouble of disconnecting and replacing the speaker on the Katana AND buying a separate class D power amp you will spend a reasonable amount of cash and have an inelegant homes[un solution. I would just go the extra mile and get a powered Kabinet.

• Don't modify your Katana ; sell it if you don't use it or keep it in this state if you want to play with it.

You can buy a Power Kabinet ; it's the simplest solution or the cheapest route is a DIY Power Kab ;

- an empty 1x12" closed cab : 120/150€

- a Kone : 150 €

- A class D amp ; https://www.thomann.de/fr/harley_benton_gpa_100.htm , https://www.thomann.de/fr/hoto…er_portable_power_amp.htm , https://www.thomann.de/fr/warwick_gnome.htm ,

https://www.thomann.de/fr/tc_electronic_bam200.htm ; 80/165€

- A speaker cable ; 15/30€

Price between ; 370€ to 500€

Done ....;)