Pitch shifter in cents

• I don't mean 0,01 euro :)

Have you ever tried to play along with a compilation CD of 60s and 70s classic rock? They didn't have electronic tuners back then, then tuned to the studio piano or whatever. It's a nightmare! You have to retune your guitar with every track. I would like to have a pitch shifter in cents, controllable with a pedal. So i can tune the guitar slightly up or down with the pedal.

• Is'nt the "whammy pitch" mode stepless ?? :/ ( And pedal controlled ... )

Or get a DJ CD / vinyl player with pitch function .....

Just my 2 cents ( pun intended )

Cheers !

The adjective for metal is metallic. But not so for iron ... which is ironic.

• A. Uch better solution is to use something to vay the pitch of the CD/MP3 rather than the guitar. If you pitch shifted the guitar signal you can often still hear the acoustic sound along with the pitch shifted signal. This guitar out of tune with itself effect drives me mad.

I normally use a program called Transcribe! There are also lots pf cheap or free iPhone/iPad apps which work well. If you transcribe any Tab you migjt already have GuitarPro. Since GP8 it is now possible to import audio into GP and pitch shift it. Most DAWs can also do this.

• The Eventide plugin might do it.

nothing can do it without a Hex pickup on the guitar. That is the only wat the software knows which string is being played in order to do the transposition.

EDIT:

Oops sorry guys. i thought I was replying to the thread about pitch shifting individual strings for slide playing in open tunings. Please ignore this comment. It’s early and the coffee still isn’t brewed 🤦‍♂️

• nothing can do it without a Hex pickup on the guitar. That is the only wat the software knows which string is being played in order to do the transposition.

EDIT:

Oops sorry guys. i thought I was replying to the thread about pitch shifting individual strings for slide playing in open tunings. Please ignore this comment. It’s early and the coffee still isn’t brewed 🤦‍♂️

Looks like you've been "pitch shifted".

Yes, the Eventide can do it. I remember it having settings from 01 to maybe 50 cents.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• I found this. I haven't tried it yet because it wants to install software to use it. I have too much to do this week but will check it out for sure. There may be other sites like this.... "google it"...

Instead of pitch shifting the guitar it shifts the audio file.

Online Pitch Shifter

Change the key of a song without affecting the tempo

https://mp3cut.net/change-pitch

"Faith don't need no second opinion"

• Update:

This turned out to be a Chrome extension that has some interesting audio an video utilities.

It took a minute to figure out but basically you drop an audio or video file into the page and edit whatever.

When you select pitch shift there is a slider , slide it to the left (middle) to get back to zero (it jumps to 100% at start). it only works in whole numbers and I don't know the value of whatever unit they are using. It seems to do just fine. Once it sounds like you want it to you can save it back to your computer.

"Faith don't need no second opinion"

• I use AnyTune, but there are any number of apps - Song Surgeon, Transcribe! etc.

With AnyTune - you can modify the pitch in as little as .01 cent increments.

I use it for a LOT more than just that, but when something isn't quite at 440....this does the trick for me.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• CD of 60s and 70s classic rock? They didn't have electronic tuners back then, then tuned to the studio piano or whatever. It's a nightmare!

i use transcribe too.

regarding the tunings:

it´s not that they didn´t have tuners, there are a lot of different reasons:

ever tried to play to an Van Halen record? To get all this major triads he loved to play sound right, he tuned the guitar differently for each song, you find a lot about that in the web, ie: http://forum.metropoulos.net/viewtopic.php?t=45970

In the analog days it was very easy (varipitch on the 24 track machine) to alter the pitch of the recordings. Slightly faster, slower, and therefore higher or slower playback will change the feel of a song in a HUGE way, done by a lot of artists.

The Beatles already edited together recorded versions of songs in different keys, which was only possible with varipitch, check out Strwwberrie Fields,

and the result is not only somewhere between B andf Bb, will alter tempo between the edited slices, and you still need to retune your guitar in the middle of the song if you want to play along.

When the CD format arrived and old tapes got digitalized, very often nobody cared to calibrate the speed of the tape machine. Donald Fagan (Steely Dan) complained a lot about his songs playing at the wrong speed after the transfer and there are still many CDs and Mp3s around.

Probably many artists never noticed that.