Boost info

• If you use a boost Infront of an amp with some distortion already the boost adds more distortion but makes little to no difference to volume. This is how valve amps also work.

If you want a boost for solos there are several other options.

You could put a boost effect AFTER the amp

Or use a volume pedal after the amp with a positive value for travel which would make heel position normal volume and toe position max boost.

You could use Morphing to increase amp or rig volume

• A change in EQ is often all that's necessary to make a sound stand out. Volume alone often just adds mud.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• I use boost to increase a different type of smoothness or gain, rather than get an increase in volume, and engage it in a lead. If you use morphing (or a different rig in the Performance) you can increase the rig volume easily. This might be necessary if you have a noisy band (!). Press the Rig button and you'll see the rig volume on page 1 (I find this is easier to see on Rig Manager but that's up to you). Press the assigned rig switch to go into Morph mode. Raise the rig volume. Pay attention to the Rise Time and Fall Time of the morph change (page right for that - again, easier to see in RM). This controls how quickly it 'morphs' from the main setting (quieter) to morph (in this case, louder). Of course, with Morph you can increase other parameters - delay etc.

Kemper Powered Head / Stage / Powered Kabinet

• I always use morphing to boost for solos. You can change a number of parameters that way. To make them really stand out.. Volume with either the amplifier volume or rig volume. Definitely change the EQ. Boost those mids. Also, you most likely need more volume than you think you need for a solo boost. Especially live, unless you have a dedicated FOH person that knows all the cues. If they boost you at all, it’ll be halfway through the solo.

• As jon9max said - you probably just need more volume. If you start overwhelming the mix, maybe use a low-cut filter to clean things up. Your lead tone might seem a bit more trebly in isolation, but it will probably blend better.

• I've always gone with the old school, but trusted method of creating a separate rig for my solos. I create a lead tone that I like and then just store it in the last slot of each rig so my solos are always in the same spot. I like having them as separate rigs because I can then add different effects and parameters that may not have been in my rhythm tones. For most of my leads, I have the rig set around 3dB higher than my rhythm to give me the boost I need, but the volume may be lower on something that I don't need to be as "in the face" as others.

• I've always gone with the old school, but trusted method of creating a separate rig for my solos. I create a lead tone that I like and then just store it in the last slot of each rig so my solos are always in the same spot. I like having them as separate rigs because I can then add different effects and parameters that may not have been in my rhythm tones. For most of my leads, I have the rig set around 3dB higher than my rhythm to give me the boost I need, but the volume may be lower on something that I don't need to be as "in the face" as others.

This is me as well.

• This is me as well.

Me too - but I have the option of pressing the morph on the main rhythm too, and engaging a rig volume boost as well as a lead boost - just sounds like I'm in the same channel but with extra bits and pieces. I still have two separate solo patches, one with EQ to cut through, one softer with a morph for big temporary delays for effect.

Kemper Powered Head / Stage / Powered Kabinet

I am quite similar here as well. Over time, I've settled primarily on one amp (H&K TubeMeister from Guidorist), with whichever cab sounds right. Right now that's usually a Marshall 1960 412 with greenbacks for rhythm/cleans and most often a 212 with V30s for lead or "out front" sounds.

Some performances are identical except for tempo and or mix parameters. Others use the same basic starting point, but have specific tweaks to suit a certain tune.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• I use a boost in amp volume as a morph per rig in my performance. It’s quite big, +5db, and it works nicely. The only rig that isn’t boosted is the clean one and the morph on that is for chorus and delay. I tried the clean boost but I prefer amp volume.

A brace of Suhrs, a Charvel, a toaster, an Apollo twin, a Mac, and a DXR10

• Yes, I use the Morph function to boost the overall Rig Volume by +3db to +5db, vs. using a boost effect pedal/block. This works great for me in the band mix. Morph is set to instant.

• It depends of the situation but personally, I usually put a graphic EQ block post amp with a volume boost and push in the mids (inverted V) and add a bit of delay. Then I morph the base sound to that and with the proper settings, it can turn any rig into a good lead sound. I also have a separate patch for solo sound but it's not as flexible. Depending of the band and volume level of your gig, sometimes adding 2-3 dB is enough but for very big venues/band I sometimes needed over 6 dB to cut through - I usually figure this out at rehearsal when you can get a better feel for the situation.

• Me too - but I have the option of pressing the morph on the main rhythm too, and engaging a rig volume boost as well as a lead boost - just sounds like I'm in the same channel but with extra bits and pieces. I still have two separate solo patches, one with EQ to cut through, one softer with a morph for big temporary delays for effect.

Very similar for me...I have a solo sound and a boost sound for riffs (switching morph) for stand out bits which are not as loud as solo but still need to cut through..