Sound at homestudio vs Sound at rehearsal (Kemper Kone / Imprints...)

• I get your point. My comparison to Monster cables was meant to illustrate that many guitarists have a desire to hear their amp onstage in a way that is somehow based in tradition and not in optimum sound reproduction.

For the player - it has *never* been about 'optimum sound reproduction'. That's the job for FOH.

You've somehow got it in your mind that the amp-in-the room is some kind of tradition being held on to out of nostalgia or something. That technology has usurped it in some way.

That is simply not true.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• For me as a player, it has always been about optimum sound reproduction. The Kemper has moved that pursuit closer to reality. :)

Thank you for the interesting discussion. I suspect we have exhuasted this topic as far as our differing views.

My reason for mentioning this in the first place was in respect to the OP's original question. I wanted to make sure he is aware of tradeoffs involved in his decision making process.

• We can agree to disagree. It's all about creativity anyway.

What inspires me onstage isn't the same as what the audience hears. The sound a player hears in the studio when cutting tracks isn't what the engineer in the room hears. Nor is that the same as what the listener hears through their AirPods.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• Well, yesterday I went to a big music store and tried headrush, yamaha DXR 10 and yamaha DXR 12. Then I went to my rehearsal place and tried (once again) kabinets with different options of cab off, cab on, several imprints, etc, as usual, and later tried a QSC K12 lent by a friend from an other band.

Keep in mind that I am just trying to search for that "tone" or "feel" I get at homestudio, those tones which I get from the Kemper and are perfect to my ears... I mean, it's just a matter of tastes. I agree with earlier comments stating that it's impossible to get that same sound on rehearsal or on stage with my band, but I'll try to get closer since right now it's too distant.

I didn't like Headrush. DXR 12 was much better, in fact I liked it, though it would logically require certain eq, not bad. DXR 10 was to my surprise even much better sounding to my ears. I was almost convinced, though it still wasn't the required sound.

Then, when I tried (once again) Kabinets at my rehearsal, the same old story, not bad, but not satisfying.

And... then I grabbed a QSC K12 from a friend in the band next door, and it blowed me away since it was the closest I've ever heard to the sound I get at homestudio, not perfect obviously, that's impossible to achieve as you have previously stated, I agree, but adjusting some slight eq it was the closest I've ever been on rehearsal to that sound.

The only snag was that it wasn't the QSC K12.2 but the old one QSC K12 and can't find a dealer who sells that old model, so that I'll come back to the music store and ask them to try the QSC K12.2, I hope it will sound the same (fingers crossed...).

Once again, thanks everyone for your comments and recommendations ;)

• Glad to hear you are homing in to what works for you.

• The only snag was that it wasn't the QSC K12.2 but the old one QSC K12 and can't find a dealer who sells that old model, so that I'll come back to the music store and ask them to try the QSC K12.2, I hope it will sound the same (fingers crossed...).

Once again, thanks everyone for your comments and recommendations ;)

Consider the K10 and maybe even the K8 also if they are available to try. I've used all three with subs while doing FOH in small to medium venues and the K12 with subs outdoors for a Bluegrass Festival. To be honest, in 75 to 250 seat occupancy rooms there was very little difference in sound between the three. With amplifying a guitars processed signal all three may provide more than enough low end and the K8 or K10 might give a slightly better mid range response, but again that's purely from a FOH perspective. The monitoring solution search can get very frustrating, I hope the QSC works for you!

• Thinking about trying the QSC 12.2 myself and just wondering how it worked for you. Any updates on your adventure?

• Thinking about trying the QSC 12.2 myself and just wondering how it worked for you. Any updates on your adventure?

Hi Tweed, finally I didn't try the QSC 12.2 so I can't tell you about this specific model. Sorry! Hope you can find one in a dealer next to you and give it a try on your own (always much more recommended).