dB output measurment

• Hi guys,

I'd like to measure and level my outputs from the kemper with a DAW ... what's the best plugin to adjust this so I can balance them all ?

thx

Raf

Kemper stage with 2 mission pedals (in a Thon line 6 FBV case) and a Zilla 212 (K-100/V30) , SD powerstage 700 poweramp

• I use the Youlean Loudness Meter 2 (free version) for any kind of Db measurements in my DAW (Ableton). Have to say though that I primarily use it for final mixing/mastering and not so much for exactly getting every track balanced ... my ears are guiding me there :)

Kemper PowerHead, Remote & Kabinet | Fender Claro Walnut CS Telecaster 2016, Fender EJ Stratocaster 2007, Brian Moore CS 1992, Tom Anderson CS 1993, Eastman T59-V 2022, Peerless 2010, Ibanez RG770 1992, Taylor 214-KCE 2015 | Fender Princeton Reissue, Marshall JCM500 50W, Fender HotRod Deluxe, Blackstar HT-1

• The best plugin is your ears.

dB meters have a very hard time measuring perceived loudness which is what matters when it comes to balancing the level of rigs. The frequency content and amount or compression (also potentially frequency dependent) will make it almost impossible to do the job with a dB meter. A loudness meter will do a better job but still a poor substitute for your ears.

Also, the room you are playing in can also make a difference as can the sounds of the other band members. Remember it is perceived loudness that matters not absolute loudness.

• Youlean works like a charm ! Thx guys ... i'm pushing -18 dB is that considered a lot ?

Raf

Kemper stage with 2 mission pedals (in a Thon line 6 FBV case) and a Zilla 212 (K-100/V30) , SD powerstage 700 poweramp

• No. If you push 0.0 then that's a lot. But still ok if you don't clip.

What do soundguys prefer ? -12 dB or is there no "ideal" outputsignal ...

• A mix engineer will want to see an average signal of -18dBS with peaks up to, say, -12 or -9dBFS for incoming digital signals.

For analogue desks, average of 0dBu would be considered ‘line up’ level. Depends on how dynamic the signal is and whether it will be feeding a unity gain line input or a mic pre with a minimum gain value, as to whether it needs padding or not.

Ed / Audio Systems Engineer / Kemper Stage + Fender fan

• Considering you are using DAW and not worried about FOH, you have to deal with the "loudness wars" when posting musical content. Then you get into LUFs and what is acceptable for each streaming service. As long as your peaks don't go over 0.0 on the master track in your DAW then you are good to go. If you have a few spots that clip when you render your mix then you have the option to drop down a couple of db on the master or let the DAW fix those spots for you.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Thanks for all the insights guys ...

I used youlian and looked at the values and meter ... I went over all my presets and adjusted them so they all got the same level ...

Fingers crossed :)

Raf

• I usually use my DAW and play my various rigs that I use in a song context. I then adjust the clean/dirty/lead sounds to sit in the mix as you would expect.
    You still should listen and adjust at stage volume as well but you will be closer or good for sure.
    I adjust my output EQ as need for the venue after that.
    I have Kemper set at -12db for FOH

• I tried "leveling" my performances that way but it failed in a live context. Distortion levels, the resulting compression, and eq ing can make things that are leveled by a meter be dramatically different in a mix. IMO the best way is with drums and in a mix then punch through the rigs to see where they sit. It takes a while but once it's done, it's done.

• I use the Youlean Loudness Meter 2

I have never played with this one but want to try it. Does the free version need to "phone home"?

Also since it is VST2, VST3, AU and AAX plugin formats that lets it work inside a DAW, do you use it that way or as a standalone? Master out?

Edited once, last by Dynochrome: Added gs ().

• I have never played with this one but want to try it. Does the free version need to "phone home"?

Also since it is VST2, VST3, AU and AAX plugin formats that lets it work inside a DAW, do you use it that way or as a standalone? Master out?

Not sure what you mean with 'phone home'. I only use it as a VST plugin on any of the tracks when I use it.

Kemper PowerHead, Remote & Kabinet | Fender Claro Walnut CS Telecaster 2016, Fender EJ Stratocaster 2007, Brian Moore CS 1992, Tom Anderson CS 1993, Eastman T59-V 2022, Peerless 2010, Ibanez RG770 1992, Taylor 214-KCE 2015 | Fender Princeton Reissue, Marshall JCM500 50W, Fender HotRod Deluxe, Blackstar HT-1

• Some apps need to connect with the "Mothership" to work. Usually not VSTs but I wanted to check.

All clear, no motherships with this plugin ;)

• When using it for mastering, where do you place the plugin? The master out?

Yup!