Question about Tone Junie profile - Plexi SL

• Hello!

I recently bought the plexi SL on Tone Junie and I have a few question about how the rig is make:

My question is mostly focused on the equalizer (linked on the X button). What are the different sounds inside a single rig?

I know my question may sounds weird but I don't really know if each effect linked to the rig is a part of the amplifier.

For example, there's a delay on each rig, is it mandatory to get a good sound ? Same question for every effect, reverb, noise gate etc. What is mandatory for a good sound, what can I delete/change?

I think the modulation effect (harmonic one and the tremolo) are far from mandatory. About the green scream and the other red effect, I d'ont really know if I nned to activate them both or if I can use only one of them...

I know most of you will say "your ear is the master to answer those questions" but I want to know what about the real ampiflier effet through the rig.

I don't really know what I'm looking for. This is not the most important, I think. I'm just testing a lot of sound.

My questions are weird, My mind is weird, I hope you will understand what's my point ('cause it's not my case...)

BTW I'm not an english speaker then I may make a lot of mistake, sorry by advance.

• First of all, no need to say that any of your questions are weird or that your English isn't perfect ... :-).

Actually, I had similar questions once I got started with using profiles. The longer I use the Kemper the more freedom I give myself in using the tool and turning on/off effects that came with a profile.

This basically means for me at least that the most important for me is that the Amplifier / EQ / Cabinet section should be good sounding and any other effects (either in A - D or (X to REV) are all very much subject to change (even if they come with the profile). I have my own preferences for nice compressor effects, nice overdrives / distortions, delays, reverbs, chorus etc) which I basically add to the stripped down main profiled amp / cabinet combination.

When I started I also felt that the Amp / Cabinet section sub-settings should not be adjusted as it would destroy a great profile ... but some adjustments (e.g. to definition) may improve the sound in your exact set-up and guitar that you use (e.g. single vs humbucker pickups.

Maybe to get started with the TJ profiles: keep the compressor (often in A), EQ (in X) and REV active and see whether you like them in the profile (in the end it's perfectly OK to also replace those to more what you like). And to disappoint you: in the end your ears will tell you what you like, we can't :)

Hope this helps.

Kemper PowerHead, Remote & Kabinet | Fender Claro Walnut CS Telecaster 2016, Fender EJ Stratocaster 2007, Brian Moore CS 1992, Tom Anderson CS 1993, Eastman T59-V 2022, Peerless 2010, Ibanez RG770 1992, Taylor 214-KCE 2015 | Fender Princeton Reissue, Marshall JCM500 50W, Fender HotRod Deluxe, Blackstar HT-1

• You are very right! I know I should feel free to modify according to my taste I'm just a bit scared because I lack of self-confidence :wacko:

But in fact, my question is more like how is their rigs are intended to be used. For example, the equalizer is not active by default, does it simulate a button on the amp or is it only to fix the sound for some uses? The modulation effects (a tremolo and an harmonic pitch) are added because they like those or because it's a real feature on the amp?

Well, a lot of question, no self confidence, beginner in Kemper and Guitar, you mix everything and you get me and this post :D

Thanks a lot for the answer when even ^^

• Don't worry, that complexity can sometimes overwhelm you. Go step-by-step, try things out, learn from the manuals and from the forum if you like... you'll get there 8)

For example, the equalizer is not active by default, does it simulate a button on the amp or is it only to fix the sound for some uses?

Usually this is something you can consider just as an option the maker of the profile gives to you. Personally I do not like profiles much which absolutely need a certain stomp or effect to be on board to sound good as per the maker's output. What I usually do is delete all stomps/effects and put my 8 standard pieces in there to see how a profile sounds with "my boost", "my chorus", "my delay" etc. - tweaking starts only afterwards once "the core profile" sounds useful to me then.

Regarding modifying the profile: All good, do what sounds good to you. Use the slots as per your liking and so on. Just if you need to do very heavy tweaking of Gain, EQ, Amp Section parameters etc. then it might be the wrong profile for you and you'd might rather want to check another one which has a better base sound for you...

• Thanks a lot for your answers ;)

In fact, I'm not looking for a good sound to me, just the true plexi sound.

Tone junkie's sounds are not this good, not about the quality but there are different rigs (marked from 1 to 6) just because the gain is different... why not to make a rig where we can set our gain and change it?

The choptone's one I bought seems better on this point but maybe I missed something.

If any of you have advice about a very well done plexi sound (according to what I just said), I'm heari... I'm reading ^^

• just because the gain is different... why not to make a rig where we can set our gain and change it?

Because a profile is only a snapshot of the current parameters of the amp. It is not profiling the way how the controls (gain, treble etc.) on the amp work. So if you change it on the Profiler then it does not one to one reflect how changing it on the amp would react. And for instance increasing the gain on the Profiler usually is not the preferred option as it can only guess how it would sound... suboptimal in some cases.

Personally I like the Plexi SL but paired it with another cab for my needs... and how true can a plexi sound be? You'll always hear the sound incl. the signal chain like speaker, microphone etc. when you listen to a profile...

• Personally, when I find a profile with added fx and/or various parameters dialled in, I set everything to default (except gain and definition, which you can assume represent the amp as captured), remove fx, and see how it sounds on it's own - maybe adjust definition a bit, but if that doesn't help, move on to another one. If it's good, I'll dial in my own settings/fx. It's unlikely that whatever settings/fx have been dialled in by the profile-maker are actually the best for your pickups.

It is useful to know what settings represent what was "captured" by the profiling process - the values you'll see for gain and definition (unless they've been altered) are what was "captured" during profiling, but anything else that's not at default (i.e. 0, except tube shape, where default is 3.3.) has been dialled in after the capture - and almost certainly is best adjusted to suit your pickups. Definition should definitely be adjusted too, think of this as an overall tone setting, I'd recommend setting this (with everything else at default) as the first step in tweaking a profile. As for gain, it works well to reduce it, not so well to increase it (try a gain pedal for that!)