Remote to Kemper toaster ethernet connectivity

• I have seen quite a few threads on this, but wanted to get more current feedback on user experience.

I have a two year old toaster and just purchased a new, actually refurb from Kemper, remote with cable. I have the toaster mounted to a rack mounted tray inside a road case. I plugged the 'new' cable into the back of the toaster and wired tied the cable to the tray so that it won't move and taking as much care as possible to avoid any strain on the connection. In use, I store the cable inside the case road case, leaving it connected on the toaster side. All that being said, I experience situations where the Remote has a dim screen after the initial setup and power on process. Jiggling the cable at one or both ends tends to fix it. I am not comfortable with this situation.

Any similar experience, insight or solutions?

• Having the same issue ever since I've had the KPA and the remote (bought in 2015). Noticed that the ethernet jack moves back and forth inside the KPA ethernet port. Shoving it all the way in makes the connection. I tried buying an Elite Core ProCatSE 20 foot cable hoping that would have tighter fit than there flimsy cable provided with the remote. No go. I got in touch with Kemper repair and they told me to send it in. The charge was around $250 for a new board to be installed in the back of the KPA. I pointed out to them this is a factory issue and should be treated as such. Again, no go. I did however find a funky but effective temporary solution - gaff tape on the edges of the ethernet jack. Makes for a snug fit, but hardly an elegant or permanent solution. Very disappointed with KPA repair.

• when I had my Toaster, I had it mounted on a shelf ( in a homemade cabinet ) . I used an extension adapter attached to the Kemper. I used heavy-duty Velcro to attach it to the shelf. I never had any issues after that , No issues after that

• Having the same issue ever since I've had the KPA and the remote (bought in 2015). Noticed that the ethernet jack moves back and forth inside the KPA ethernet port. Shoving it all the way in makes the connection. I tried buying t an Elite Core ProCatSE 20 foot cable hoping that would have tighter fit than there flimsy cable provided with the remote. No go. I got in touch with Kemper repair and they told me to send it in. The charge was around $250 for a new board to be installed in the back of the KPA. I pointed out to them this is a factory issue and should be treated as such. Again, no go. I did however find a funky but effective temporary solution - gaff tape on the edges of the ethernet jack. Makes for a snug fit, but hardly an elegant or permanent solution. Very disappointed with KPA repair.

What you describe is unfortunately a broken Ethernet socket at the PROFILER. If the socket isn't broken, it ensures reliable contact. Ethernet connections are a global standard. A cable tie can avoid that the socket gets damaged, if somebody stumbles over the cable.

• I have seen quite a few threads on this, but wanted to get more current feedback on user experience.

I have a two year old toaster and just purchased a new, actually refurb from Kemper, remote with cable. I have the toaster mounted to a rack mounted tray inside a road case. I plugged the 'new' cable into the back of the toaster and wired tied the cable to the tray so that it won't move and taking as much care as possible to avoid any strain on the connection. In use, I store the cable inside the case road case, leaving it connected on the toaster side. All that being said, I experience situations where the Remote has a dim screen after the initial setup and power on process. Jiggling the cable at one or both ends tends to fix it. I am not comfortable with this situation.

Any similar experience, insight or solutions?

That's not normal. Seems as if something is broken. I would try another short Ethernet cable as a reference. HAs the plug a solid fit on the PROFILER side or is it loosing contact? Are perhaps the metal contact bend?

• That's not normal. Seems as if something is broken. I would try another short Ethernet cable as a reference. HAs the plug a solid fit on the PROFILER side or is it loosing contact? Are perhaps the metal contact bend?

I didn't think it was expected behavior. It is interesting as I bought the toaster less than 2 years ago and the Remote very recenty, both are refurbs from Kemper USA. I had never plugged anything into the toaster ethernet connector and I am using the cable that came with the Remote. As I mentioned above, I plugged the 'new' cable into the back of the toaster and wired tied the cable to the tray so that it won't move and taking as much care as possible to avoid any strain on the connection. I will continue to troubleshoot when I have the opportunity. My guess is that it is losing contact for some mechanical reason. The fact that the everything on the Remote dims, but doesn't fully power down, leads me to believe that there is some high resistance developed somewhere in the power supply connection.

In any case, I will do as you suggest tonight as I am at work at the moment. I'll report back what I find.

• What you describe is unfortunately a broken Ethernet socket at the PROFILER. If the socket isn't broken, it ensures reliable contact. Ethernet connections are a global standard. A cable tie can avoid that the socket gets damaged, if somebody stumbles over the cable.

Appreciate for your response. I agree that the ethernet socket is somehow broken, not by me lol. Was that way when I purchased the KPA, and is therefore a factory warranty issue that they choose to ignore. This connection seems to be a weak spot on the KPA. A cable tie 'band aid' solution on a $2k plus system seems rather inappropriate, to say the least. Found this far more robust solution: https://britishaudio.com/products/kemper-profiler-mod

though this might not work for my KPA toaster with Ritter power amp installed.

• A cable tie 'band aid' solution on a $2k plus system seems rather inappropriate, to say the least. Found this far more robust solution: https://britishaudio.com/products/kemper-profiler-mod

though this might not work for my KPA toaster with Ritter power amp installed.

Good idea, seems like a reasonable solution. If you know how to solder, spend $25 and replace with an Ethercon jack to harden up the unit. But that probably would void the warranty right?

• I finally got back to this. I inspected the ethernet connectors on the profiler, remote and the cable on both ends. I found nothing loose and identified no mechanical issues such as bent pins. So, I got out the old can of Radio Shack tuner cleaner and cleaned all the connector contacts. I have had limited use since then, multiple reconnects at home and rehearsal and I could not reproduce the issue I experienced.

Too early to say it is solved, but so far so good.

• my Kemper Rack uses a rear rack panel that has all the necessary connectors on, including the remote ethercon. Not only is it easy to connect, but it relieves any stress on the Kemper's rear panel connectors (they just run from the Kemper to the rear of the panel), and if somebody trips on a cable it may damage or tear out the panel connector, but not the Kemper side connector (and the rear panel connectors are pretty easy to replace).

if your toaster is mounted in a rack (using a rack tray), perhaps a rear rack panel would work for you.

Kemper Panels

• Thanks for that info. I am already aware of adding a rack panel and my Toaster is rack mounted, so i could do what you mention. I have a PoE that just arrived and that I will install this weekend. I believe that fastening everything down inside the rack will suffice for me. Time will tell if I need to exercise other options.

• Not cheap but if I was in he

my Kemper Rack uses a rear rack panel that has all the necessary connectors on, including the remote ethercon. Not only is it easy to connect, but it relieves any stress on the Kemper's rear panel connectors (they just run from the Kemper to the rear of the panel), and if somebody trips on a cable it may damage or tear out the panel connector, but not the Kemper side connector (and the rear panel connectors are pretty easy to replace).

if your toaster is mounted in a rack (using a rack tray), perhaps a rear rack panel would work for you.

Kemper Panels

oh that got my geek radar started!

New talent management advice to Laura Cox -

“Laura want to break the internet? let’s shoot another video of you covering the Nightrain solo in the blue singlet, but this time we’ll crank up the air conditioning”.

• Yeah - the panels are not cheap, and probably not necessary for recording unless the Kemper isn't easily accessible.

I got it for playing live, and there it's absolutely worth it to make setup fast, easy, and idiot-proof (with me generally being the idiot).

• I posted the follwing in another thread, but am adding it here since I started this thread and wanted to give an update.

I just received 10' and 30' Elite cables as well a a PoE. It is working nicely so far, but I will need to do quite a few gigs with it to gain a good level of confidence. The flexibility of the cable is very nice and a big improvement of the Kemper cable.

I did notice that the Remote takes a bit longer to be recognized by the Toaster since installing the PoE, but it is working well.