I'm Your Everyday Necessity - new tune with unknown source of inspiration but with some slide

• When I write a tune, I almost always know where I got the idea and/or from whom I got the inspiration. Not so in this case. I just went where the tune took me.

What did happen was that the tune called out for some slide guitar. I play slide about once a year (when a song calls for it) so whenever it happens I have to practice a bit.

Clean guitar: K-Line Springfield

Slide guitar: PRS McCarty with 57/08 pickups

Bass: Sire Marcus Miller V7

Hope you'll like!

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Cheers,

Mats N

• Sweet, awesome backing track feels very different to where you usually go and some great Clapton, Duane Allman and George Harrison style riffs in there.

You've been very helpful to all of us over the years with your advice and awesome profiles you've shared, and you're a far better guitarist and musician than I will likely ever be, I also know you're looking to expand your own sonic palette and I wish people would let me know about my cliches and what to do to avoid them, because they're dead end roads that you don't realize you've walked down and need to back up and try a different route.

So I hope you don't get terribly offended if I give a little feedback because I know you're more than capable of implementing it. One thing I think would take you to the next level and modernize your sound is reduce the quantity of flourishes, especially on the starts of notes, there's a lot of hammer-ons, slides, etc that feel like a signature. It's a great way to add detail and interest for legato work, gives it an awesome Holdsworth like hollow electric sound almost, but having heard where you're coming from and I get the frustration g that you're trying to break free, I think it's a crutch for you that's now holding you back. It sounds a bit like melisma can become for some singers.

I'd love to hear you do a take on a BB King style solo even though I know it's hard to overcome the idea of "must avoid cliche" especially on what you've mentioned it the past about guiding your students away form just blues solos, but that's the way to learn IMO try to do something really really well that you dread. Why BB? He uses embellishment now and then (mostly rakes and very fast and tight bends) but mostly brutally clean straight notes and slow bends with emphasis on sharp transient. If you were to rebuild the basic note, not from scratch but with mindfullness, and allow more breathing space around the riffs, slow down a little. Then I think you'd open yourself up to your full potential.

• Sweet, awesome backing track feels very different to where you usually go and some great Clapton, Duane Allman and George Harrison style riffs in there.

You've been very helpful to all of us over the years with your advice and awesome profiles you've shared, and you're a far better guitarist and musician than I will likely ever be, I also know you're looking to expand your own sonic palette and I wish people would let me know about my cliches and what to do to avoid them, because they're dead end roads that you don't realize you've walked down and need to back up and try a different route.

So I hope you don't get terribly offended if I give a little feedback because I know you're more than capable of implementing it. One thing I think would take you to the next level and modernize your sound is reduce the quantity of flourishes, especially on the starts of notes, there's a lot of hammer-ons, slides, etc that feel like a signature. It's a great way to add detail and interest for legato work, gives it an awesome Holdsworth like hollow electric sound almost, but having heard where you're coming from and I get the frustration g that you're trying to break free, I think it's a crutch for you that's now holding you back. It sounds a bit like melisma can become for some singers.

I'd love to hear you do a take on a BB King style solo even though I know it's hard to overcome the idea of "must avoid cliche" especially on what you've mentioned it the past about guiding your students away form just blues solos, but that's the way to learn IMO try to do something really really well that you dread. Why BB? He uses embellishment now and then (mostly rakes and very fast and tight bends) but mostly brutally clean straight notes and slow bends with emphasis on sharp transient. If you were to rebuild the basic note, not from scratch but with mindfullness, and allow more breathing space around the riffs, slow down a little. Then I think you'd open yourself up to your full potential.

Hi Per,

Thank you for your most interesting post and, no, I didn't get offended at all as I know you mean it with my best interest in mind.

The timing of your post is awesome as I'm just preparing a lesson for my electric bass students where I use the same bass line in two very different 12-bar blues tunes with the difference in the bass is that in one tune it's straight 8ths and the other is a shuffle.

I wrote both tunes quickly using equipment I don't usually use for blues. Other guitar, other amp simulation. I will now go back and listen to my guitar melodies and solos in those two tunes with you comments in mind and see what I can do differently. Either with those two or in the future.

So onward and upward and thanks again for your thoughts!

Cheers,

Mats N

• Sounds absolutely brilliant Mats_Nermark the guitar playing and tones are so tasteful and well placed.

I do love starting off with a bit of an idea and just seeing where the flow takes you.

Your tasteful licks and feel are brilliant, i wish i could play like that. This has been the best 4.01 minutes of my day so far

• Sounds absolutely brilliant Mats_Nermark the guitar playing and tones are so tasteful and well placed.

I do love starting off with a bit of an idea and just seeing where the flow takes you.

Your tasteful licks and feel are brilliant, i wish i could play like that. This has been the best 4.01 minutes of my day so far

Thanks, Joe!

You are too kind!

My best 4 minutes today was when my son called and told me his wife gave birth to their son this morning. My first grandchild and me and my wife are almost overwhelmed by emotion.

Cheers,

Mats N

• great track & tones , your playing is really on top here , I wish it had a few background vocals at some point.

Thanks, Renaud!

Back in the 80s before I met my wife, I used to write actual songs with lyrics and I also sang a bit.

Maybe I should post a few old songs just for the fun of it?

Cheers,

Mats N